Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media prices are going up again...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media prices are going up again...

Old 20-09-2017, 19:59   #121
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media prices are going up again...

My dad received his increase of £3.99 he is an OAP and is paying over £70 a month now this is just stupid.
Old 21-09-2017, 12:02   #122
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
My dad received his increase of £3.99 he is an OAP and is paying over £70 a month now this is just stupid.
Have you gone through the farce of talking to VM? The retention's mob are useless now and to quote from my last chat with them; "I don't look at any discounts". I suspect VM's churn rate this year will at an all time high.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 12:13   #123
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I don't think VM do age-dependent pricing.

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
We received our increase letter today - £3.99 per month increase.

They can shove it. I have said before, how can they justify the increase. They cannot.

There has been NO increase in channels. This will be the FOURTH increase in a matter of 18 months.
That seems an excessive number of price increases in an 18 month period. I wasn't aware there were so many.

They can justify some increases though because of inflation and cost of providing services. Unless you're happy for VM staff to have indefinite pay freezes and VM to not invest in newer technology due to cost prices have to go up occasionally.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Have you gone through the farce of talking to VM? The retention's mob are useless now and to quote from my last chat with them; "I don't look at any discounts". I suspect VM's churn rate this year will at an all time high.
Not necessarily a bad thing. Increasing ARPU and profitability would be a good thing for them and due to Lightning they may not be as concerned by churn as previously.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 12:34   #124
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

It's not just the increases, they'll all way above inflation. I too am on, CPI linked pension, wished that would go up like VM bills have.

ARPU, that's the acronym I was looking for. However it's known that it costs from 5 to 25 times as much to acquire new customers as to retain existing ones, so it'll cost VM in the end. Source: Harvard Business Review.

Wish VM would give them a bigger room, I can hear the CSA next to them better to the one I'm dealing with.

Just had a call from VM on 0800 408 9340, Googled it and it's VM marketing.
Old 21-09-2017, 14:31   #125
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I alaways ring when my parents get a price increase letter and they always give them something... this time they've waived the £3.99 increase until the end of May next year.

Last year I got a price reduction with a BB speed increase which I didn't ask for!!

I think there is a lot to be said in how customer speak to CS staff- I can honestly say that in 90% of calls I make I always get a result of sorts and nearly always good people....

(Thanks Eddie for sorting my £3.99 discount for 6 months!)
Old 21-09-2017, 14:51   #126
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I've always found Retentions to be reasonable if you are reasonable in return and not having unreasonable expectations on price.
With my current small £4 loyalty discount ending and the £3.99 increase coming, a quick call and same price as today agreed.
Thanks, Elizabeth, in Bellshill.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 18:03   #127
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
So why is he paying it, then? It must be worth it, or he would find an alternative means of finding his entertainment.

For example:

Freeview channels through an aerial, or if not available, through TV Player = Free
Now TV Movies and Entertainment Packs =£17.99
Amazon =£ 5.99
Netflix =£ 7.49

TOTAL= £31.47

That would give him all the terrestrial channels, Sky 1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, Sky Arts and Sky Cinema, ITV Encore and the huge library of Netflix and Amazon Prime material. A saving of £40 or so per month.

Of course, there are other permutations, but my point is that your dad doesn't have to pay all that money every month if he doesn't want to, and he should still be able to view the material he wants to see.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
Maybe they think that giving out all these discounts are counter productive. I think we should all be paying the same for our services. It was Sky that started this nonsense.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 19:39   #128
JPAC
cf.addict

Both these companies, VM and sky rely on British apathy. People take out movie and sports packages etc and they forget and just pay out for stuff they don't watch or use, year after year.

btw since calling VM and being assured that I've been removed from VM's marketing and that it was 'instant' no more calls, I've received more from 08004089340, four so far today, roughly every two hours from 11am this morning. More VM lies.

Don't forget the November 10+% price increase on your calculations, and change of package = loss of discounts.
Old 29-09-2017, 21:11   #129
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Can anyone explain why there is a difference in prices. One member has said that he cost has gone up by 2.99. But mine has gone up by 3.99.

In the past 18 months VM have increased three times. So how can they justify this. It appears VM just takes customers as a bottomless pit.

I knew there was something funny. As in Hounslow today. VM sales reps where in the High Street. And not outside ASDA, where they normally are. With no one there.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 10:36   #130
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Can anyone explain why there is a difference in prices. One member has said that he cost has gone up by 2.99. But mine has gone up by 3.99.

In the past 18 months VM have increased three times. So how can they justify this. It appears VM just takes customers as a bottomless pit.

I knew there was something funny. As in Hounslow today. VM sales reps where in the High Street. And not outside ASDA, where they normally are. With no one there.
So did you check with the other person that you both have the same packages, broadband speed and phone package. If they are different then that is why there is a difference in prices, its not rocket science

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 16:24   #131
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

That seems an excessive number of price increases in an 18 month period. I wasn't aware there were so many.

They can justify some increases though because of inflation and cost of providing services. Unless you're happy for VM staff to have indefinite pay freezes and VM to not invest in newer technology due to cost prices have to go up occasionally.

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Not necessarily a bad thing. Increasing ARPU and profitability would be a good thing for them and due to Lightning they may not be as concerned by churn as previously.
There are many, many people who have had to manage with a pay freeze for years and years, whilst bills keep going up.

In fact, some working people and some reliant on benefits have had a reduction in income.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 16:26   #132
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
So why is he paying it, then? It must be worth it, or he would find an alternative means of finding his entertainment.

For example:

Freeview channels through an aerial, or if not available, through TV Player = Free
Amazon =£ 5.99
Netflix =£ 7.49

TOTAL= £31.47

That would give him all the terrestrial channels, Sky 1, Sky Living, Sky Atlantic, Sky Arts and Sky Cinema, ITV Encore and the huge library of Netflix and Amazon Prime material. A saving of £40 or so per month.
Looks good. How exactly is the man going to access that without a broadband connection though?

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
There are many, many people who have had to manage with a pay freeze for years and years, whilst bills keep going up.
Indeed there are. There are many others who haven't. Should VM's suppliers be providing them equipment free of charge too? The past couple of years have been really expensive on the capital expenditure.
Old 30-09-2017, 16:28   #133
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Looks good. How exactly is the man going to access that without a broadband connection though?

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Indeed there are. There are many others who haven't. Should VM's suppliers be providing them equipment free of charge too? The past couple of years have been really expensive on the capital expenditure.
I'm toying with the idea of going down this route and using Plusnet for internet.
Old 30-09-2017, 16:29   #134
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Can anyone explain why there is a difference in prices.
Looks like it's been done. Can you explain why you're still a VM customer given how unhappy you are and have been for years looking at your posts?

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'm flying with the idea of going down this route and using Plusher for internet.
I'd consider also looking into replacement autocorrect
Old 30-09-2017, 16:37   #135
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

For example:

Amazon =£ 5.99
Netflix =£ 7.49

TOTAL= £31.47

Of course, there are other permutations, but my point is that your dad doesn't have to pay all that money every month if he doesn't want to, and he should still be able to view the material he wants to see.

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Maybe they think that giving out all these discounts are counter productive. I think we should all be paying the same for our services. It was Sky that started this nonsense.
When I was with Sky the only reduction they gave was for paying a year in advance! Sky started to try to limit discounts last year and found churn going up and profits going down.

It's better to make a reduced profit than none at all for those unable/unwilling to pay the full price.

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Quote:
Looks like it's been done. Can you explain why you're still a VM customer given how unhappy you are and have been for years looking at your posts?

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:28 ----------

I'd consider also looking into replacement autocorrect
You were too quick . I've turned it off as it was creating more errors instead of less.

It would be interesting to find out how many customers actually want these constant increases to speeds that need new equipment.

I wasn't bothered about mine being doubled, not that it's made any difference.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 30-09-2017 at 16:53.