Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC4 to recreate the first night of television.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BBC4 to recreate the first night of television.

Old 03-11-2016, 17:16   #16
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: BBC4 to recreate the first night of television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I enjoyed it, but think that they should have made it into a 2 or 3 parter to cover more things will less rushing.

I'd like to have seen what happened with regards to the break for the war and when they reopened, even up until the start of competition from commercial companies in 1955.
But it was only about the first live TV broadcast. Anything else would be a different show.

I did enjoy it
Old 03-11-2016, 18:18   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

True, but I think that they could have expanded things a bit more by, say, making part one about the start of live TV broadcasts and then maybe a couple of more episodes.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 18:20   #18
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

If they had that as a plan I am sure they would have but they were simply celebrating the anniversary of the first live broadcast and to me they did their job well.
Old 03-11-2016, 18:33   #19
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Yes, I also found it to be very informing as well as enjoyable.
Old 03-11-2016, 18:37   #20
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Yes, I also found it to be very informing as well as enjoyable.
In 20 years' time, someone's going to pull that old Tivo box you stuffed in the loft in a fit of pique when you refused to send it back, and you will be lamenting about how enjoyable this little piece of technology was!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 19:54   #21
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It was about an hour too long. The tecchy stuff of the 2 camera systems was interesting, but it's a story that's been told many times before.
I've heard the story before, mainly in the 1986 drama I linked to earlier, but what I hadn't appreciated before was just how impractical Baird's system was. I knew the camera was immobile, but I hadn't appreciated how it needed to work in a dark box and wasn't even a camera as we'd understand the term today.

It was the classic example of a technological blind alley, complete with complex workarounds to cover shortcomings that ought really to have killed it off long before opening night. I'm probably going to watch The Fools on the Hill again now just to be sure, but I don't recall them really going into the reason Baird's system got the gig, and how it survived for even half its contracted six month trial. Even last night Dallas Campbell skimmed over it with a one-line reference to Baird's personal influence in having pushed for development of a TV service in the first place.

Of course the system was so utterly impractical that BBC4 couldn't actually recreate it at all. A 3ft diameter disc spinning at 6,000rpm in a vacuum chamber ... a massive machine to process film stock and deliver it to another Baird camera in time to delay the "live" broadcast by a mere 54 seconds ... beyond the budget of a single documentary and doubtless ruinously expensive back in 1936 too.

Absolutely fascinating though.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 19:59   #22
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

I couldn't believe how big and expensive and really impractical Baird's system was and even that early TV sets had a switch to change between the two systems, it really was experimental and a real shame that no real documentation exists in regards to the machine.

Imagine if that system did in some other reality win, then TV as we know it would not be here.

Still as you say very fascinating.

Last edited by Stephen; 03-11-2016 at 20:03.
Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 21:07   #23
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I couldn't believe how big and expensive and really impractical Baird's system was and even that early TV sets had a switch to change between the two systems, it really was experimental and a real shame that no real documentation exists in regards to the machine.

Imagine if that system did in some other reality win, then TV as we know it would not be here.

Still as you say very fascinating.
I wondered this too.

After a bit of research I found this after someone asked what we were thinking:

'We still use mechanical TV systems. Blu Ray, DVD and VHS are all mechanical systems involving motors, even PVRs have mechanical parts.

The Apollo Television and early Space Shuttle TV used a version of the Baird sequential system which later went on to DLP with rear screen projection TV's using the Baird colour filter wheel as late as the 1990s'.
Old 03-11-2016, 21:18   #24
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Don't think you can really call hard drives and disc drives the same thing though. They maybe mechanical in terms of moving parts but they still require electricity to work.
Old 03-11-2016, 21:18   #25
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
In 20 years' time, someone's going to pull that old Tivo box you stuffed in the loft in a fit of pique when you refused to send it back, and you will be lamenting about how enjoyable this little piece of technology was!
If it turns out that I won't be staying with VM, they're welcome to pick it up.

It is an interesting point though, think how many people disposed of their old VHF TV's after BBC2 UHF started, their monochrome TV's after colour started and their CRT TV's after DSO believing them to be worthless?

If it weren't for the odd person keeping them, there would be none available for historical TV enthusiasts to pursue their hobby and we would be historically poorer.

What was regarded as rubbish is now worth money again all these years later!
Old 03-11-2016, 21:24   #26
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Get more enjoyment gourging out my eyes with a blunt spoon full of butter.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:09   #27
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:

If it weren't for the odd person keeping them, there would be none available for historical TV enthusiasts to pursue their hobby and we would be historically poorer.

What was regarded as rubbish is now worth money again all these years later!
I have a Pye 13U TV (bottom RH side of picture) stashed away. They were used by the BBC as studio monitors and later as props in Monty Python (mostly the 11U). With a bit of work it's probably a goer even now.

The turret tuner has the normal 12 VHF channels, and the UHF position but additionally a square and triangle for the video direct inputs though the one I have does not have the extra components for that function.

Pye_11U_series.jpg
Old 04-11-2016, 15:12   #28
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

It might be worth something to a collector, even if it doesn't work.

If you don't want to sell it, I'd definitely hang onto it after all this time.
Old 04-11-2016, 20:30   #29
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Don't think you can really call hard drives and disc drives the same thing though. They maybe mechanical in terms of moving parts but they still require electricity to work.
An interesting post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
The new V6 Has a hard drive fitted to the bottom of the box as VM will at some point go cloud based so a hard drive was fitted to the base of the new STB. So it already has no moving parts.
Old 04-11-2016, 23:28   #30
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

A hard drive has moving parts - a HDD uses magnetism to store data on a rotating platter, and the read/write head floats above the spinning platter reading and writing data.

If it didn't have moving parts, it wouldn't work.

Unless, of course, it's a SSD (Solid State Drive)...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote