Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Modem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New Modem

Old 30-03-2012, 14:14   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: New Modem

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
can it not be improved in both modes General?
Yup, but i meant that i cant see them doing a firmware update to fix the shub in modem mode. i can see them being bias and doing it to improve router mode to try and encourage people to go back to it
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-03-2012, 14:43   #17
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
well the modem software is affecting both modem and router mode, so its a big issue imo

plus I sent the link to Mark_Wilkin in a PM and he has definitely read it as there was a read receipt
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Yup, but i meant that i cant see them doing a firmware update to fix the shub in modem mode. i can see them being bias and doing it to improve router mode to try and encourage people to go back to it
Theres light at the end of the tunnel me thinks. VM have somewhat uncluttered the path their on given a little pressure to do so, its all in the best interest anyway!! Anywho I do think they will improve modem functionality.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 16:11   #18
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

I'm having connection troubles with Router, I've got my router running to pc from router port 1 with an ethernet cable, the connection keeps dropping though.

It's a linksys E2000 with VMNG300
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 17:14   #19
Jumping
Inactive

Jumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of lightJumping is a glorious beacon of light

Is it the connection to the linksys thats not working?? Or is your modem disconnecting?
Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 19:37   #20
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era

Seems to be working fine now PC don't know whats changed but it's all good.

Home plug in living room is running a bit slow but that could be wiring and distance.
Old 30-03-2012, 20:19   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

you can see if you have got a connection with your router and going to the default ip address of 192.168.1.1 and seeing if it has got an external ip (I think mine startd with 82. without checking). Secondly, you can go to 192.168.100.1 and have a look at the modem config and see if it has locked onto the channels etc. I very much doubt any problems you have will be router related because Linksys are awesome
Old 31-03-2012, 00:19   #22
borrissey
Inactive

All sorted now hopefully
Old 31-03-2012, 11:56   #23
borrissey
Inactive

Damn!! Connection to PC is playing up again this morning, server not found in web browser.

But that little pic of the monitor and Ethernet lead in bottom right of screen says Internet access. Now and then the yellow icon is on there meaning no Internet access.

It's very frustrating.

But wireless is still working tried it on my iPhone. Seems to be the PC that's the problem connection is dropping in and out a lot.

I haven't got a clue what to do!!
Old 31-03-2012, 14:26   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

Are you sure your phone is using wifu and not reverted to 3g when it lost it's connection? What are the lights on the modem and router doing?
Old 31-03-2012, 15:05   #25
borrissey
Inactive

No wifi signal was up.

After pc had been on about 5 minutes it started working, seems like it takes a few minutes to warm up, very strange.

The 2 Ethernet lights were light up green. Plus the other lights for Internet, wifi and power.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:44   #26
borrissey
Inactive

Had a VM tech visit today because HD channels were breaking up, I think my power levels have changed.

Cable Modem Downstream
DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4
Frequency 299000000 307000000 315000000 323000000
Lock Status
(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y Y/Y/Y
Channel Id 77 78 79 80
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM
Symbol Rate
(Msym/sec) 6.952 6.952 6.952 6.952
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17
Power Level
(dBmV) -1.17 -1.81 -1.78 -2.54
RxMER
(dB) 35.60 36.17 36.39 36.17
Correctable
Codewords 5220 2184 1017 765
Uncorrectable
Codewords 307 960 1005 303

Cable Modem Upstream
US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 N/A N/A N/A
Channel ID 5 N/A N/A N/A
Frequency
(Hz) 45800000 N/A N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A N/A
Modulation 16QAM N/A N/A N/A
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec) 5120 N/A N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 4 N/A N/A N/A
Power Level
(dBmV) 53.50 N/A N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T2 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T3 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T4 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
Old 02-04-2012, 10:48   #27
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
Got another VMNG300 My mate had a spare one.

I'm happy now VMNG300 and Linksys E2000.

Just had modem activated, guy also said on phone VMNG300 can only do 92meg lol. Speed test it did 100
can do 104 Meg from VMNG300 Modem.
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:04   #28
borrissey
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
can do 104 Meg from VMNG300 Modem.
Is that with the BT speed test, I got 104 on there also.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:06   #29
telfordcable
cf.mega poster

Services: 5G Three 599/21
telfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecarttelfordcable has upset the applecart

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrissey View Post
Is that with the BT speed test, I got 104 on there also.
Yep that correct! I believe that VMNG300 Modem can do 120 Meg no problem

VMNG300 connected to Netgear DGND3700 will be in 1Gb LAN network. And the wi-fi (300+300Mbps) pretty good 104 Meg better than superhub.
telfordcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:11   #30
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by telfordcable View Post
Yep that correct! I believe that VMNG300 Modem can do 120 Meg no problem

VMNG300 connected to Netgear DGND3700 will be in 1Gb LAN network. And the wi-fi (300+300Mbps) pretty good 104 Meg better than superhub.
Not when 8 downstream channels get enabled.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote