Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 01-09-2015, 16:53   #151
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I have a 25GB game to download tonight
What game?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2015, 17:40   #152
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

MGS5
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 20:09   #153
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
We also had notice that, in our area, there will be a disrupted service on 20th September due to network upgrade work.
How did you get advance notice of upgrade work? Was that by post or email?

Genuinely curious!
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 20:55   #154
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post

Genuinely curious!
Post usually, a card through the door.

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
We also had notice that, in our area, there will be a disrupted service on 20th September due to network upgrade work.
I suspect if you check your upstream frequencies Mr Beast they don't go that high. The upgrade is both to address this and supply extra downstream bandwidth - replacement of amplifiers, diplex filters, nodes as required, etc.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 23:09   #155
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
I have a 25GB game to download tonight, if I don't get a clear 152Mbit down for the ~30mins it'll take, I'm going to be ****ed.
25GB on a game ! Manic Miner on the ZX Spectrum only took up 48Kb - still haven't finished it after 30 years...
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 23:58   #156
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Trolls? ...

[snip some stuff]

or go through thinking of leaving.
Don't know how to that multi quote stuff.

I'm a real person, not a troll. I can provide screen caps of whatever screens you want from the SH configuration screens.

Screen caps attached to prove my point about absolutely DIRE performance.

2.15/1.95 on my 60/3 cable connection

10.05/1.83 using my phone (S5 on Three).

Interesting that apart from the thread about the speed upgrade, EVERY SINGLE post on that page you linked to is about the p-poor performance of VM's network.

My point was that there is no point in wetting your knickers about some mythical 300+ speed when they can't even reliably deliver the existing packages.

I have seen the thread about the new trials and people getting 309 or whatever, but of course the back end equipment in those areas will have been FULLY specc'ed out...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-09-2015 23-48-02 - VM-ABYSMAL.jpg (100.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 01-09-2015 23-50-11 - Three.jpg (114.5 KB, 28 views)
Old 02-09-2015, 00:28   #157
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
My point was that there is no point in wetting your knickers about some mythical 300+ speed when they can't even reliably deliver the existing packages.
You are only speaking from your own experience. VM's network is quite capable of pushing the speeds they advertise. Sure, some areas may have problems but outliers don't mean the general subscriber base can't achieve their speed tier.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:29   #158
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skie View Post
You are only speaking from your own experience. VM's network is quite capable of pushing the speeds they advertise. Sure, some areas may have problems but outliers don't mean the general subscriber base can't achieve their speed tier.
Did you actually LOOK at the linked page?

Seems like the "outliers" are evenly spread across the entire country, or as you put the general subscriber base...
Old 02-09-2015, 03:10   #159
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Hmm, 30 complaints, over 3 million customers. What was the definition of "outlier" again?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:14   #160
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Did you actually LOOK at the linked page?

Seems like the "outliers" are evenly spread across the entire country, or as you put the general subscriber base...
There are literally thousands of individual "regions" within the network. Plus, you have to account for people having issues that are local to them (i.e. wifi) and not just congestion.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:31   #161
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Hmm, 30 complaints, over 3 million customers. What was the definition of "outlier" again?
Think everyone will agree there are more than 30, and they are spread across the entire country, and it is and has been ongoing for many many months, and so affects the general user base.

Fixing the network to actually deliver what they are currently selling would be a good start, before doing any more manly-bit waving, that in real life impacts nobody.

I would be quite happy to pay more for a 30/30 connection that actually delivered 24/7 rock solid than some theoretical 300+/whatever ludicrously low figure they happen to apply.

Time will tell.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:32   #162
Kushan

Quote:
Think everyone will agree there are more than 30, and they are spread across the entire country, and it is and has been ongoing for many many months, and so affects the general user base.
I don't agree with that.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:43   #163
David-T-Rex
Inactive

David-T-Rex is on a distinguished roadDavid-T-Rex is on a distinguished road

I have to say I have been over the moon with Virgin - Speeds have been consistently above what I am paying for. Yes, I have had the odd "wobble" but not enough to cause me to worry.
David-T-Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:04   #164
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:

Fixing the network to actually deliver what they are currently selling would be a good start, before doing any more manly-bit waving, that in real life impacts nobody.

I would be quite happy to pay more for a 30/30 connection that actually delivered 24/7 rock solid than some theoretical 300+/whatever ludicrously low figure they happen to apply.

Time will tell.
Strange - I have always had the speed I am supposed to have, and currently get 162Mb/s on my 150 tier, and all my neighbours are the same.

However, what I don't claim is that everyone has the same customer experience as I do, as I realise that VM is made up of multiple previous networks, some of which were not appropriately funded, and need to be brought up to the same level as others.

tl:dr My experience isn't the same as everyone else, and neither is yours....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:40   #165
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by japitts View Post

Genuinely curious!
Post.

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Post usually, a card through the door.

---------- Post added at 20:55 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

I suspect if you check your upstream frequencies Mr Beast they don't go that high. The upgrade is both to address this and supply extra downstream bandwidth - replacement of amplifiers, diplex filters, nodes as required, etc.
My channel frequencies are 46200000, 32600000, 39400000 Hz.

I guess all those upgrades will enable speed increases and capacity for dedicated channels for WiFi. Hopefully, it will follow that we get our speed boost and WiFi early on in the roll out. I know it doesn't really work like that.
roughbeast is online now   Reply With Quote