Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Shocking virgin media installation

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Shocking virgin media installation

Old 03-01-2008, 16:48   #46
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation
Re: Shocking virgin media installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollp View Post
Look it's incorrect, this is a prime example of giving 2 customers a bad experience instead of 1 which still shouldn't happen. So from a business point of view this is the wrong way of doing it.

And to answer your question as to whether this is company policy to do this, it certainly isn't.

I have seen this many times, as i have seen many poor installations which give VM a bad name, installations cause many issues and problem so they need to do the job properly not bodge it and scarper.
in the real world it is company policy the crew will ring in and ask the "boss" and if the relevant people are happy then they get installed off the nieghbours line. policy or not in happens all the time in all the areas, and the comment bodge it and scarper, when has it been any different?
piggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2008, 19:10   #47
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy View Post
in the real world it is company policy the crew will ring in and ask the "boss" and if the relevant people are happy then they get installed off the nieghbours line. policy or not in happens all the time in all the areas, and the comment bodge it and scarper, when has it been any different?
the company policy on this is simple: if you can speak to the neighbour and explain why you need a temp run off their cable and theyre happy for it to go ahead,then thats what happens,(said policy also states if you cant make contact with the neighbour then it doesnt happen)as has been said many times previously a repull SHOULD be booked by the install tech with his team leader there and then and both parties advised of how long the temp fix will be in place.i cannot believe i am reading posts mentioning 'illegal' and 'compensation'.how the hell is this illegal,or how does it warrant compensation (unless the reason the pig is showing its knackers is because the tech knocked him over during his 'illegal' action,thereby allowing you to claim 'compensation') if youre electric or gas went off and the only way you could get your services restored was by a temp off another supply wouldnt you prefer that rather than waiting?? i know those are more essential services but the point remains (as has been exhaustivley said) that the new install got its services on the day with a perm fix being arranged
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 19:56   #48
piggy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by on in an hour! View Post
the company policy on this is simple: if you can speak to the neighbour and explain why you need a temp run off their cable and theyre happy for it to go ahead,then thats what happens,(said policy also states if you cant make contact with the neighbour then it doesnt happen)as has been said many times previously a repull SHOULD be booked by the install tech with his team leader there and then and both parties advised of how long the temp fix will be in place.i cannot believe i am reading posts mentioning 'illegal' and 'compensation'.how the hell is this illegal,or how does it warrant compensation (unless the reason the pig is showing its knackers is because the tech knocked him over during his 'illegal' action,thereby allowing you to claim 'compensation') if youre electric or gas went off and the only way you could get your services restored was by a temp off another supply wouldnt you prefer that rather than waiting?? i know those are more essential services but the point remains (as has been exhaustivley said) that the new install got its services on the day with a perm fix being arranged

thats what i said
Old 03-01-2008, 20:11   #49
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnymeg View Post
So how is the new customer in this case getting a bad experience? He had an installation take place on the day he booked and therefore did not have a wasted day? On this occasion we have one customer who is unhappy which can easily be put right.

If the original customer had taken a day of work at a finacial cost to himself only to be let down then he would have been less likely to take a second day of at a financial cost to the business who had already spent £'s on securing the sale.

Well in the real world it happens every day. And as far as installers and service tech's go it is an acceptable way of restoring service as a temp. measure. You may well be of the understanding that installs are being left like this as a permanent solution.

Because they are not followed up and dealt with correctly.
Hence the reason it shouldn't happen and is not part of a policy for installations.
Another customers installation should not be messed with, i see all the time where one drop has been used to serve 2 houses when another drop should have been pulled. Your glossing over the fact that the customers whose installation was used as a temp for his neighbour, then has problems getting them out to rectify it. It shouldn't happen at all. So now 2 people are having a bad experience, how many times does this happen, alot i can be sure off.

You wouldN'T get the electric or gas company's digging up someone's garden because the next door has a problem with there service, same goes for BT. No different.

As for the installers thinking it's an acceptable way to do installs, they should concentrate on getting the installation done correctly adhering to the correct installation policy's.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Quote:
Yes that's because the installers are not adhering to company policy as usual, the install supervisor or area manager do not run VM, VM lay down in the installation policy as to how an install should happen and this should be followed. This is one of many reason why there are so many issues with the installation side.

If you read the OP, he states that the install Tech asked if he could temporarily use his drop i quote:

"When it was being done the technician was having trouble getting a signal so asked if he could temporarily connect to our box while he set it up and would then remove it straight after.

So we said ok.

However he connected them up and then buggered of
f".

So basically the installer was having issues with signal levels, wanted to use the nextdoor neighbours drop to see what signal level he should be getting,(using the neighbours as a comparison, when if he knew what he was doing he could do some calculations a get a rough guide). Then as far as the neighbour was concerned it would be put back in it's original state without the drop from next door left in it.

As it happens the installer left with the neighbours drop left in his omni box, he is not happy and is now trying to get someone out to get this rectified which hasn't happened, now causing him, through no fault of his own to have a bad experience with VM because of the installer. read it and understand his situation and realise this shouldn't be carried out.

If you worked for VM, and had any idea about the amount of issues, damage bad customer experience the installers cause, then you would be like me on insisting on them doing it properly.
Old 03-01-2008, 20:15   #50
piggy
Inactive

Quote:
Hence the reason it shouldn't happen and is not part of a policy for installations.
Another customers installation should not be messed with, i see all the time where one drop has been used to serve 2 houses when another drop should have been pulled. Your glossing over the fact that the customers whose installation was used as a temp for his neighbour, then has problems getting them out to rectify it. It shouldn't happen at all. So now 2 people are having a bad experience, how many times does this happen, alot i can be sure off.

You wouldN'T get the electric or gas company's digging up someone's garden because the next door has a problem with there service, same goes for BT. No different.

As for the installers thinking it's an acceptable way to do installs, they should concentrate on getting the installation done correctly adhering to the correct installation policy's.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:07 ----------

Yes that's because the installers are not adhering to company policy as usual, the install supervisor or area manager do not run VM, VM lay down in the installation policy as to how an install should happen and this should be followed. This is one of many reason why there are so many issues with the installation side.

you obviously have never had a problem with the gas/electric then , when my neighbour had a gas leak on a old cast iron pipe they had to dig my garden up as that was where the main service was, also i was not asked they just did it.

@sollp do you work in a office? you seem to have no concept of what goes on, procedure from a warm office is totally different when you try to make it work in the field

a good example of procedure is that as a service tech when you go to a dead stb you swop it, however thats been impossible since christmas as nobody in our area has any try explaining that procedure to a customer who has not had service for 10 days!!
Old 03-01-2008, 20:30   #51
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
you obviously have never had a problem with the gas/electric then , when my neighbour had a gas leak on a old cast iron pipe they had to dig my garden up as that was where the main service was, also i was not asked they just did it.

@sollp do you work in a office? you seem to have no concept of what goes on, procedure from a warm office is totally different when you try to make it work in the field

a good example of procedure is that as a service tech when you go to a dead stb you swop it, however thats been impossible since christmas as nobody in our area has any try explaining that procedure to a customer who has not had service for 10 days!!
You obviously have no concept of where i work, what i do and that i know exactly, as i see it day in day out.

As for doing service i have done it, am required to do it occasionally, and am fully aware of standing in front of customers trying to explain the exact same situation and others, as i have done in the past and most likely in the future.

So rather that this turning into i know more than... the OP has had a bad experience that he wants sorted, i gave my reason and thought on it and why it shouldn't happen, others can't see that, so really there's not much more to say, other that i hope the OP gets it resolved quickly and with minimal stress.

As for your Gas situation that does surprise me.
Old 03-01-2008, 21:40   #52
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Please show me where the OP stated his garden was dug up.
Temp fixes are put in place as they are non destructive.
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 16:05   #53
Akia

I can't belive someone would be so petty. And the fact the the first thing they did was ask for compensation just shows what a sad would we live in now.
Old 04-01-2008, 18:53   #54
Bri_G
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP 20Mb bb V+ Talk Unlimited
Bri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the rough

I think it's great, he could of put Christmas lights along it and asked his neighbour to plug it in as "compensation".

Has it been sorted yet?

Never trust a man with garden gnomes (or pigs).
Bri_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 16:19   #55
eth01
Inactive

eth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to alleth01 is a name known to all

i agree. it's temporary, it'll be gone soon. calm the hell down.
eth01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 17:23   #56
LaineY
Inactive

Services: <V+ - XLTV - XLTelco - 20MB>
LaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the roughLaineY is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

As for the above comment.. That's not true
My mum and dad have had a problem with their eleky for 7 years and last year the power company had enough and decided to dig up all 4 doors around them as well as the main foot path.. to change / replace cable. Now baring in mind that took 7 YEARS of things blowing in the house / stuff randomly packing in and light bulbs blowing out of there sockets.

I had an install 3 weeks ago from VM and yes i "do" work for them.
I was worried that i didn't have a drop cable coming into the house..
It turned out i did and that both drop cables were ran into the MIDDLE of my neighbour and I's garden but were on HER side of the fence.

I lost all Downstream lock the other week and wanted to hop her fence to check the omni box in the off chance something was exposed.. but felt i couldn't do so due to where the omni was situated and it was NOT in my property. I also noticed the engineer didn't tack the cable right the full way up the roughcasting. It turned out they were changing the amplfiers in the area and thats why i had lost DS LOCK.

The guy did a cracking job of the install and i couldn't really have asked for anything else other than to tack the quarter of cable he left lose up the rough casting. I didn't moan about it and i haven't phoned about it. Purely because my service is alright and the tacking on the roughcasting would be me being extremely picky. EXTREMELY PICKY! your only talking about a meter but the guy did the job on his own and did a bloody good job of it.. and was brand new into the bargain.

As for the TEMP FIX thing. I totally understand why it would be done AS LONG as it is followed up and 100% rectified to the customers satisfaction and done in a relatively quick time..

Not 3 months... 3 weeks mabey.
LaineY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 13:08   #57
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Lol all this over a foot of cable... It's not like it's swearing at you though the window or trying to steal your wheels..
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:02   #58
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I'm seeing a few really really OLD threads being resurrected lately, weird.
I did a double take when I saw 2007 as the first date.

Wonder if he ever got his 'compensation' LOL or maybe that temp fix is still there, who knows?

Enquiring minds want to know...
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:34   #59
chrisjones
Inactive

Services: 100mb BB TiVo 500gb TV L Phone - Evening / Weekends
chrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud ofchrisjones has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to chrisjones Send a message via MSN to chrisjones Send a message via Yahoo to chrisjones

Possible had a breakdown over said cable and gone on a crusade to fight all VM related evil?
chrisjones is offline   Reply With Quote