Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Reeboting from the remote control.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Reeboting from the remote control.

Old 13-08-2014, 20:09   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Reeboting from the remote control.

Having just had to reboot my V+ box, it made me wonder why we have to reset it from the box.

Being able to reset the box from the remote control would be much more convenient, but, AFAIK no cable boxes have ever had this facility.

Does anyone know why this is the case? For most of us it's a PITA, but for some people with limited dexterity, it's an impossibility.

I have a disabled friend who can't get down to the front of the box, but luckily he lives in a council flat designed to help the disabled, so all the power sockets are at chest height. He simply turns off the power for a few moments to force a reset when necessary.

Maybe the reason why one can't reboot remotely is because the box needs to have an interruption to it's power supply. The low tech way we were told to reset the old NTL boxes was to pull the plug out for a short time

Creating a reset button at the front of the V+ was a step forward. Does this button simply deprive the box of power for a time, or something more technical?

Does the TiVo have an easily accessible reset button?

Thanks.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2014, 20:16   #2
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Reeboting from the remote control.

You can do it with your remote control on the V+ Box - ALSO on V Boxes..

1) Go to Home.
2) Go to 'Help'.
3) Go to 'Virgin TV'.
4) Go to 'Got a problem'.
5) Go to 'TV Care'.
6) Press OK.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

NOTE: You can only do this once every 24 hours.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 22:31   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
AFAIK no cable boxes have ever had this facility.
It's very easy on TiVo, and as MB says, a bit harder on the other boxes. (Except the V-HD where simply putting it in and out of low-power mode will reset it)

Quote:
Creating a reset button at the front of the V+ was a step forward. Does this button simply deprive the box of power for a time, or something more technical?
Only the SA V+ has a dedicated reset button. All the other boxes be reset by holding the standby button on the front panel for 5 seconds.

It is more technical than cutting the power.

Quote:
Does the TiVo have an easily accessible reset button?
Press and hold standby button, or reset from menu.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 13:05   #4
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I have a disabled friend who can't get down to the front of the box, but luckily he lives in a council flat designed to help the disabled, so all the power sockets are at chest height. He simply turns off the power for a few moments to force a reset when necessary. .
Remote controlled mains sockets are my solution to this problem. They work using RF signals so it doesn't matter if the sockets are visible or reachable or not.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 15:34   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
You can do it with your remote control on the V+ Box - ALSO on V Boxes..

1) Go to Home.
2) Go to 'Help'.
3) Go to 'Virgin TV'.
4) Go to 'Got a problem'.
5) Go to 'TV Care'.
6) Press OK.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:14 ----------

NOTE: You can only do this once every 24 hours.
Thanks MB, I never knew that facility existed, I'll give it a go next time it plays up. I find I have to reset it every few days as sometimes it will go through the motions of playing a VOD programme, but starts to 'play' live TV. At other times it won't let me change channels (I get a "this channel is not available" message, even on FTA channels).

Now that the full Radio 4 listings have been removed, I have started to use the Radio 4 red button; sometimes this is met with a "currently unavailable message", so again a reboot is needed. I must confess that sometimes it's easier to just look online (Is this removal of EPG data now permanent?)

At other times the live TV tuner just shows a black screen until a reboot is performed. Curiously enough, this doesn't seem to affect the other two tuners used for recording.

Does the V+ have dedicated tuners for recording, or does it use all three interchangebly as it sees fit?

About three times in the last few months, when trying to access the EPG, it has shown the list of channels, but nothing is populated- not even "loading" or "No programme information"; it's just completely blank. When this happens, any programmes being recorded usually fail and some recordings are met with a false message that says that I cannot view the recording as it was recorded from a package that I am no longer subscribed to! I wonder if it's on it's way out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's very easy on TiVo, and as MB says, a bit harder on the other boxes. (Except the V-HD where simply putting it in and out of low-power mode will reset it)

Only the SA V+ has a dedicated reset button. All the other boxes be reset by holding the standby button on the front panel for 5 seconds.

It is more technical than cutting the power.

Press and hold standby button, or reset from menu.
Should I be pressing the button for 5 seconds (I usually just press it once); perhaps the problem is that I aren't resetting it correctly

What else does this button do, apart from temporarily cutting the power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Remote controlled mains sockets are my solution to this problem. They work using RF signals so it doesn't matter if the sockets are visible or reachable or not.
What a brilliant invention, I didn't know such a thing existed! Can I ask where you got yours from please? This would make an ideal Christmas present for my disabled friend for the times he's alone and too disabled to even get to the chest height wall socket.

Thanks to everybody for their help
Old 14-08-2014, 18:42   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
(Is this removal of EPG data now permanent?)
There is still no official decision on this, but I'm not hopeful.

Quote:
Does the V+ have dedicated tuners for recording, or does it use all three interchangebly as it sees fit?
V+ has dedicated recording tuners (unlike TiVo)

Quote:
About three times in the last few months, when trying to access the EPG, it has shown the list of channels, but nothing is populated- not even "loading" or "No programme information"; it's just completely blank. When this happens, any programmes being recorded usually fail and some recordings are met with a false message that says that I cannot view the recording as it was recorded from a package that I am no longer subscribed to!
I suspect it is running out of memory - exactly the reason we reduced the guide data.

Quote:
Should I be pressing the button for 5 seconds (I usually just press it once); perhaps the problem is that I aren't resetting it correctly
Just a quick press is sufficient on the SA V+. The other boxes need 5 seconds, otherwise they'll go into standby.

Quote:
What else does this button do, apart from temporarily cutting the power?
It hits the reset line into the CPU. It doesn't cut the power.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2014, 11:52   #7
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I didn't know such a thing existed! Can I ask where you got yours from please?
I've used several over the years, and this is the best one in my opinion.

http://buyhomeeasy.co.uk/catalog/pro...982d90b14ddadb

the information about being able to control up to 16 devices from the same remote control is incorrect. You used to be able to, but the remote they list there is the V2 model, which only controls up to 4 sockets (the original version, whichI have, did do 16). However, I think this does do 16 sockets:

http://buyhomeeasy.co.uk/catalog/pro...roducts_id=130

there are various kit combinations here:

http://buyhomeeasy.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=1

I usually buy form them and ring them up to make sure I'm getting exactly what I think I'm getting. Home Easy don't help matters by bringing out new versions with similar names. I have 9 different sockets running off the same remote control and keep several remotes in different locations around the house.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2014, 17:23   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks for the further info guys, much appreciated.