Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V+ to pc

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

V+ to pc

Old 17-03-2013, 14:44   #1
sambucus
Inactive

sambucus is an unknown quantity at this point
V+ to pc

I have a v+ box connected to my smart tv via hdmi. How would I hook up my Lenovo PC which has a tv tuner. Preferably having the tv and pc showing different channels but same channel would be ok. PC only 10 ft from box, just need a closer screen because of failing eyesight.
TIA.
sambucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2013, 15:00   #2
tizmeinnit

Re: V+ to pc

Not gonna be good news. The TV and PC will not show different tuners as you have to use the tuners in the V+ box. So you are stuck with capture ( RF if a SA box and composite via scart for others)which is never going to be good unless you have HDMI capture facility and then of course the V+ only has 1 HDMI output
Old 17-03-2013, 16:39   #3
idiosyncratic
Inactive

idiosyncratic is a splendid one to beholdidiosyncratic is a splendid one to beholdidiosyncratic is a splendid one to beholdidiosyncratic is a splendid one to beholdidiosyncratic is a splendid one to beholdidiosyncratic is a splendid one to beholdidiosyncratic is a splendid one to beholdidiosyncratic is a splendid one to beholdidiosyncratic is a splendid one to behold

My pc monitor has inputs for both DVI & HDMI, so I connect my V+ box to the HDMI socket & my pc to the DVI, which works fine - an HDMI connection doesn't need a tuner

If your monitor is the same, you would just need an HDMI switch box to enable the TV screen to be used when needed - just not both at the same time.
idiosyncratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 17:49   #4
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiosyncratic View Post
My pc monitor has inputs for both DVI & HDMI, so I connect my V+ box to the HDMI socket & my pc to the DVI, which works fine - an HDMI connection doesn't need a tuner

If your monitor is the same, you would just need an HDMI switch box to enable the TV screen to be used when needed - just not both at the same time.
Maybe ive missed something here I thought he wanted to use the card to capture I assumed to much fell into my own trap lol unless he wants PIP and use pc and watch tv at the same time
Old 18-03-2013, 01:47   #5
Jameseh

The TV tuner in your PC just lets you connect an aerial and watch Freeview, the V+ requires a HDCP compliant TV or monitor with a DVI or HDMI input.

If your PC is an all-in-one (which seem to be the only ones that feature a TV tuner) you're out of luck.
Old 18-03-2013, 05:21   #6
tizmeinnit

There are some great capture cards out there.unfortunately any cable version is of no use in the uk.There are hdmi capture cards that would turn a pc into pvr.In the states there are cable and sat providers that allow pc tuners to work with them as decoders but vm and sky dont
The op could get different channels if he plugged a digital aerial into his card though
Old 18-03-2013, 11:22   #7
sambucus
Inactive

sambucus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the answers. I really want to watch rather than capture the tv signal. I can run an rf cable, I suppose but that will just get me the terrestrial channels.
sambucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 11:31   #8
tizmeinnit

you could have a second box and plug in into your monitor. That is the only way you will get different channels anyway