Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Slow wired connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Slow wired connection

Old 22-02-2010, 18:07   #1
747skipper
Inactive

Services: NTL
747skipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Slow wired connection

First post so Hi all and thanks for all the info I've gained whilst lurking.

My friend has an Old Compaq EN (Pentium3) desktop with IBM chipped NIC 10/100, both lights on and 100MBps full duplex in control panel.
Connected by good CAT 5 cable to Virgin router with 10MBps connection tested by Virgin.
He is getting anything from .4 to 3,5 MB/s using www.speedtest.net looking at Maidenhead and a ping of 26ms, upload speed around .25MB/s.

BUT if I connect my laptop to the same cable I can get a consistent 9.6 to 10.3 MB/s
All of this is under XP Pro SP3.

The machine is old but has it's max amount of RAM and handles normal tasks well and at the sort of speed I'd expect.

Am I missing something simple or do any of you techno wizards have any bright ideas?
Thanks in advance
Dave
747skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2010, 20:56   #2
ianp2009
Inactive

Services: Virgin XXL Windows 7 build 7100
ianp2009 is on a distinguished roadianp2009 is on a distinguished road
Re: Slow wired connection

have you tried TCP optimizer ? it might help - do a search its easy to find - other than that your on your own

ian
ianp2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2010, 22:27   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Try changing to half duplex, the NIC might not be able to handle it.
Old 23-02-2010, 08:49   #4
747skipper
Inactive

Thanks very much both for your replies.

I have run TCP Optimiser with no obvious improvement.

I will try half duplex. Do you think a newer NIC in one of the spare pci slots would be better than the one incorporated into the mother board? If so can you recommend one or suggest what I need to check in it's specification?
Thanks
David
Old 23-02-2010, 16:53   #5
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Try NOT using Maidenhead. I always get very low readings from there. Even sites in Eastern Europe gave higher readings than Maidenhead. Though if your PC is OK that's not likely the issue.

You could try moving files from one PC to the other via the router. See what speed that gives.
Old 24-02-2010, 08:59   #6
747skipper
Inactive

Smile Re: Slow wired connection

Sorted!
Thanks for all your help, for the benefit of anyone else with this problem this was my solution.

Tried another NIC with little change.

Checked Task manager. CPU at 100% Network at less that 2%. Changed from I.E. to Chrome and removed "Rapport" a Natwest online security program which was using anything up to 100% of CPU.
With all that done I can get 4-5 Mbps although the CPU is still at 100%.

Just goes to show modern broadband is so fast (and I.E. such a resource hog) that the poor old Pentium 3 isn't up to the job any more.

Oh P.S. Maidenhead gives me the best reading down here in sunny Dorset.