Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Online Safety Bill

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Online Safety Bill

Old 26-05-2024, 13:15   #706
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Online Safety Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
"I'm keen not the blame the victim, but if only the victim had acted differently this may not have happened"
To be fair, there is a % of personal responsibility. Plenty of places me, a 6’ 4” man, wouldn’t walk around at night by myself, and if I did, and got set upon, it would be my own stupid fault.

Ideally, we wouldn’t live in such a world, but we do.
Old 26-05-2024, 13:33   #707
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
To be fair, there is a % of personal responsibility. Plenty of places me, a 6’ 4” man, wouldn’t walk around at night by myself, and if I did, and got set upon, it would be my own stupid fault.

Ideally, we wouldn’t live in such a world, but we do.
I agree with what you are saying I was just pointing out the contradictory bit of the bit in bold.

Every day almost everyone engages in risk evaluation/mitigation as part of their own personal responsibility on a whole range of scenarios. Even crossing the road, driving a car., etc. People do these things and get hurt or worse regularly yet we don't set out to ban them. We give people instructions, tools and parameters within which we believe safety increases.

Similarly, there's streets/areas I wouldn't go into in daylight.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2024, 15:17   #708
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

This mother is asking for people to sign her petition to require social media companies to pass over information about her 14 yesr old son who committed suicide:

https://news.sky.com/story/mother-of...story-13142846

Closes 30 May.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2024, 16:01   #709
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This mother is asking for people to sign her petition to require social media companies to pass over information about her 14 yesr old son who committed suicide:

Closes 30 May.
I can't disagree, she should have the right to answers. But sadly sometimes and in most cases there won't be.

I didn't know you had to be in a 'suicidal mood' to be suicidal. Strange that.
Old 27-05-2024, 16:16   #710
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Parents need to take responsibility and set the appropriate setting on their kids phones, most have a kids mode function.

You just cant blame facebook etc.

But how do I prove I'm over 18, I don't want to give these sites my Credit?debit card info, and what about those who don't have a driving licence or passport?

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2024, 17:07   #711
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Parents need to take responsibility and set the appropriate setting on their kids phones, most have a kids mode function.

You just cant blame facebook etc.

But how do I prove I'm over 18, I don't want to give these sites my Credit?debit card info, and what about those who don't have a driving licence or passport?
Very true and you rise a real question
Old 27-05-2024, 17:27   #712
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 ----------

There is no absolute way to protect ANYONE on the internet all of the time.To have such protection then the WWW should NEVER have been set up in the first place.

Question! Why was the WWW actually set up?For whose benefit?

IIRC Sir Tim Bernads-Lee set it up to allow institutions to transfer data, then became open to the world, it's changed a lot from the old BBS.

On a side note if Sir Tim charges 10p every time you used the web I read he would have made something like £250,000,000 a day, but he gave it for free

STAY AT HOME: I found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system. She died on September 30th.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2024, 17:56   #713
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I didn't know you had to be in a 'suicidal mood' to be suicidal. Strange that.
In this case the family are blaming the TikTok blackout challenge. I’m the absence of conclusive proof the coroner made a judgement “on balance of probabilities” in favour of misadventure.
Old 27-05-2024, 18:01   #714
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

The Internet started a bit before the WWW - the WWW evolved from ARPANET.

The phrase "internet" was first used around 1983, and ‘WWW" around 1989.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/ARP...packet-of-data
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2024, 18:14   #715
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
In this case the family are blaming the TikTok blackout challenge. I’m the absence of conclusive proof the coroner made a judgement “on balance of probabilities” in favour of misadventure.

Ah right makes sense now, a bit like the 'Archie Battersbee's' case. They blamed it on something like that as well, but after a forensic search of his phone and internet use they didn't find anything at all. Something certainly wasn't right with that case at all.
Old 27-05-2024, 20:56   #716
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Ah right makes sense now, a bit like the 'Archie Battersbee's' case. They blamed it on something like that as well, but after a forensic search of his phone and internet use they didn't find anything at all. Something certainly wasn't right with that case at all.
It’s a bit of a tightrope I think. Families will, sadly, always be in denial about what they missed, how didn’t they not know etc. So blaming someone else - or social media - is a natural part of this denial process. This makes it difficult to test motive.
Old 27-05-2024, 21:23   #717
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
It’s a bit of a tightrope I think. Families will, sadly, always be in denial about what they missed, how didn’t they not know etc. So blaming someone else - or social media - is a natural part of this denial process. This makes it difficult to test motive.
Very true, but then his mother didn't stop but goes on and be a part of the 11 parents that blames social media for the death of their child. Yet there was no evidence or proof to say social media or Tik Tok in this case was to blame. Which is quite odd considering the verdict.

It is certain cases that it does prove that there's more to it than just social media or the internet. But the hype around using this reason does makes it easy to use and blame, but can also hide the real truths.

Even so, if a child is looking or searching for self harming content etc. Then there must be some other problems there to begin with.

Last edited by peanut; 27-05-2024 at 21:44.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2024, 07:52   #718
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

This programme looks at how attempts will be made by the Olympics to tackle online abuse of athletes in both written form, the use of emojies and manipulated images. AI will be used to combat online abuse & online violence by scanning the Internet and getting the posts removed or to take legal action. One in six children are said to have been subject to online bullying:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct5wm4
Old Yesterday, 00:52   #719
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Anyone who wishes to sign this petition will have to do so before 0.01 on Thursday.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/661407

All petitions will close at 00.01am on Thursday 30 May.
Quote:
There will be a General Election on Thursday 4 July. This means that Parliament has to be dissolved and that all parliamentary business – including petitions – will stop.
Old Yesterday, 16:35   #720
peanut
NUTS !!

Quote:
Anyone who wishes to sign this petition will have to do so before 0.01 on Thursday.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/661407

All petitions will close at 00.01am on Thursday 30 May.
It's reached over 100k so will be looked at.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...l-media-access

Just to add to my other post I see that the link also mention the mother of Archie, and states 'possibly'.

Also, if they forensically looked into Archies online history (but found nothing), why can't they look into Jools Sweeney's online history too?