Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo Hidden features that suck!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tivo Hidden features that suck!

Old 20-03-2012, 10:52   #106
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age
Re: Tivo Hidden features that suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l think some people are becoming too obsessed with this dynamic EPG because as Carl says there is a simple option to extend recordings and if you think something is going to over-run then you can even extend the recording time during the programme and for the vast majority of people that is good enough.

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Well everybody is entitled to a opinion but methinks you are way over the top with your everyday constant criticisms of the Tivo.
Den

It appears to me that even if your TiVo didn't work you would still say it was the best thing since sliced bread!,you know my feelings about Sky and what it stands for but I still believe they offer an overall better experience for my (and my family's) needs,we had TiVo and all four of us came to the same conclusion that it was no where near as slick as Sky HD (but I would love to say it was so I could tell Sky to shove their system where the sun don't shine!!),so,until that day arrives (and as Virgin Media's track record proves it may be some time away) I will continue to use Sky HD and its easy to use record functions,dynamic epg etc etc,sorry if this sounds negative but its all about opinions,and as I've used both systems I believe I can offer a balanced opinion mate!.
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2012, 10:54   #107
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Just trying to bring some perspective to the constant praise from certain members. When every any one says it does not meet there needs. Bricks and tons come to mind.
No you're not. You're picking faults where there really aren't any. Mountains and molehills, as I said

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Quote:
Well l have not praised everything as it would be nice to have multiroom streaming, the TiVo tablet app and Over-The-Top services like Lovefilm & Netflix for TiVo so its not one hundred per cent yet but tell me anything that is one hundred per cent perfect in life.
Exactly.

---------- Post added at 10:54 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kop32 View Post
It appears to me that even if your TiVo didn't work you would still say it was the best thing since sliced bread!

Quote:
...it was no where near as slick as Sky HD..easy to use....
That's because Sky can't do half of what Tivo can. Therefore the interface has to do more Sky+ = dumb DVR. Tivo = intelligent PVR.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 10:59   #108
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Den

It appears to me that even if your TiVo didn't work you would still say it was the best thing since sliced bread!,you know my feelings about Sky and what it stands for but I still believe they offer an overall better experience for my (and my family's) needs,we had TiVo and all four of us came to the same conclusion that it was no where near as slick as Sky HD (but I would love to say it was so I could tell Sky to shove their system where the sun don't shine!!),so,until that day arrives (and as Virgin Media's track record proves it may be some time away) I will continue to use Sky HD and its easy to use record functions,dynamic epg etc etc,sorry if this sounds negative but its all about opinions,and as I've used both systems I believe I can offer a balanced opinion mate!.
Firstly revert to post 105 and secondly l have recently been on holiday for two weeks and have used Sky's HD box quite a bit and yes there are some reasonable features on there but really Kop there is no comparison between the two as the Tivo beats it hands down on almost everything and with huge potential scope for future Tivo improvements in the future the Sky box is looking very limited and old hat and increasingly more and more people are realising that..
Old 20-03-2012, 11:38   #109
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

[QUOTE=carlwaring;35402633]No you're not. You're picking faults where there really aren't any. Mountains and molehills, as I said

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 ----------
Without reverting to semantics, your perception of a mole hill (something which can trip you up) & other peoples of a mountain (climb comes to mind if we are using metaphors) clearly are different. Carl, a proportion of people here are not going to accept your view the TiVo is the be all & and all of PVRS not matter how much you try to brow beat them.
The only way that will ever happen is if all the different requirements are met. Don`t think that will ever happen.
However I think that you & will agree that if the TiVo “tax” (something we have no choice but to pay) was removed. Then a lot of complaints would be offset by it costing no more, as it is it offers extras that I do not want. Yet fails, as yet to deliver things I am both used too & rather like.
With regard to the dynamic EPG "problem" clearly some people want it. I am not concerned about it, however I can see that it would better with it. Surely you can see that.

Old 20-03-2012, 11:46   #110
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

That's because Sky can't do half of what Tivo can. Therefore the interface has to do more Sky+ = dumb DVR. Tivo = intelligent PVR.[/QUOTE]

So,based on that analogy Sky+=For people who can think and act for themselves therefore have no need for "suggestions"! and just require a PVR to record what they want when they want.

TiVo = for people that..........you fill in the rest
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 11:52   #111
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
That's because Sky can't do half of what Tivo can. Therefore the interface has to do more Sky+ = dumb DVR. Tivo = intelligent PVR.
So,based on that analogy Sky+=For people who can think and act for themselves therefore have no need for "suggestions"! and just require a PVR to record what they want when they want.

TiVo = for people that..........you fill in the rest [/QUOTE]

That`s very cruel
Old 20-03-2012, 11:53   #112
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

No, I was also thinking about wishlists and the fact that Tivo's Series Links don't break if there's more than a week between episodes. "Set it and forget it". And suggestions can be useful. Again, the analogy is someone you know suggesting a programme you might like based on what they already know about what you watch? I assume you don't take any notice of your friends if/when they suggest a TV show you might like?
Old 20-03-2012, 11:55   #113
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
No, I was also thinking about wishlists and the fact that Tivo's Series Links don't break if there's more than a week between episodes. "Set it and forget it".
Now that is a good feature.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 11:57   #114
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Indeed. The Series Links I set for Doctor Who and CSI last year both picked up the new series without me having to re-instate them.
Old 20-03-2012, 12:09   #115
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Den

It appears to me that even if your TiVo didn't work you would still say it was the best thing since sliced bread
Proven here

Not only Den seems no others had this issue my parents had despite me connecting to the VM network the EPG data was still incorrect
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35401477-post153.html
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 12:20   #116
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Proven here

Not only Den seems no others had this issue my parents had despite me connecting to the VM network the EPG data was still incorrect
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35401477-post153.html
Apart from losing network connection once or twice since l have had it my 2 TiVo's it has behaved impeccably and l am not just saying that just for the sake of it but it seems some people have just got a complete hangup about the TiVo if even the slightest thing is not right and like l say no box is perfect as you only have to go to certain threads on different forums to see that the Sky bouquet of different boxes always seem to have problems regarding TV EPG errors.
Old 20-03-2012, 12:33   #117
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Apart from losing network connection once or twice since l have had it my 2 TiVo's it has behaved impeccably and l am not just saying that just for the sake of it but it seems some people have just got a complete hangup about the TiVo if even the slightest thing is not right and like l say no box is perfect as you only have to go to certain threads on different forums to see that the Sky bouquet of different boxes always seem to have problems regarding TV EPG errors.
No argument with this statement from me, other than mine loses network connection a lot, along with BB. However I have been told & therefore accept the problem is outside my boundaries.
Old 20-03-2012, 13:55   #118
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
You can still watch it while it is being recorded. And even if you missed the start, you can still rewind it while it is being recorded. Yes a reminder would be a good addition, but it's hardly a big issue.
And as has been pointed out, that requires manual intervention to select the recording and watch it, and rewind if required. How is that comparable to and automated service that changes channel at the start of the programme? If I wanted to just record stuff and manually view the in-progress recording I could have done that on my V+ as well. Guess what? That's not what I wanted. I wanted to be able to leave another channel (a music channel for example) on in the background and have my box automatically tune to ESPN America when the live baseball starts so I can get on with other things an listen to the nice music and be able to hear when the game starts because the box has tuned to it. So just because it's not a big issue to you doesn't mean that it isn't for those of us who have made great use of reminders in the past and would like the functionality on our TiVo boxes.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 13:56   #119
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
And as has been pointed out, that requires manual intervention to select the recording and watch it, and rewind if required. How is that comparable to and automated service that changes channel at the start of the programme?
The latter is for the terminally lazy?
Old 20-03-2012, 14:06   #120
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
The latter is for the terminally lazy?

Carl given what I understand to be your reasons for loving the TiVo. Pot & kettle come to mind. But I guess I am wrong (As normally is the case)