Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The iPhone thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The iPhone thread

Old 24-09-2007, 18:17   #76
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: iPhone UK Release info

Why not move to T-Mobile, & get unlimited data, but also get far more minutes & texts?

That's what I've done for my soon-to-arrive N95.

The O2 iPhone tariff is a joke.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-09-2007, 22:01   #77
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Why not move to T-Mobile, & get unlimited data, but also get far more minutes & texts?

I also have the N95 on T-Mobile with their unlimited data. Its really great.

That fact the you need to get an 18month contract and data costs per month have really put me off the iphone.
Old 24-09-2007, 22:22   #78
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I have the WNW+ tarrif with the usb modem on t-mobile
its not unlimited its 3gb

Although I did just find out i also get unlimited use of their UK hotpots
300mins on the bt openzone Uk hotspots
and 300mins on t-mobile hotspots across europe and the USA

Looks like i'm sorted for wi-fi hotspots then
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 23:07   #79
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda View Post
I also have the N95 on T-Mobile with their unlimited data. Its really great.

That fact the you need to get an 18month contract and data costs per month have really put me off the iphone.

Yeah, that & all the missing features

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
I have the WNW+ tarrif with the usb modem on t-mobile
its not unlimited its 3gb

Although I did just find out i also get unlimited use of their UK hotpots
300mins on the bt openzone Uk hotspots
and 300mins on t-mobile hotspots across europe and the USA

Looks like i'm sorted for wi-fi hotspots then

OK, "unlimited (subject to FUP)"

Anyone know what the actual usage limit will be for O2's "unlimited" data plan for the iPhone etc.?
Old 24-09-2007, 23:15   #80
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
OK, "unlimited (subject to FUP)"
Sorry to be pedantic but it's not even that

The basic jobbie is £7.50 and has a cap at 1gb per month.

WnW Plus is £12.50 and is set at 3gb but you can use the phone as a modem and can use messenger

WnW Max is £20 (ish) and you get 10gb and allows all the above plus VoIP.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2007, 23:19   #81
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

LOL, I know.

I've gone for the standard WnW.

£7.50 for "unlimited" (1GB cap) is still better than £5 for 4MB or £10 "unlimited"* with O2.

And £37.5 for flext35 + WnW is still better value IMO than £35 O2 iPhone tariff with 200 mins + 200 texts + "unlimited" 2.5G data use.

EDIT: * Hmm, from looking at the O2 site, I'm not so sure about the alleged "£10 unlimited data bolt on"... the website clearly says you only get 20MB for £10/month... unless the "unlimited" bolt-on I was offered was solely a retentions offer.
Old 24-09-2007, 23:34   #82
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
LOL, I know.

I've gone for the standard WnW.

£7.50 for "unlimited" (1GB cap) is still better than £5 for 4MB or £10 "unlimited" with O2.

And £37.5 for flext35 + WnW is still better value IMO than £35 O2 iPhone tariff with 200 mins + 200 texts + "unlimited" 2.5G data use.
do o2 actually have a uk edge network anyway?
Old 24-09-2007, 23:38   #83
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

They're only just adding EDGE now, apparently:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2007/0...moves-to-edge/
Old 25-09-2007, 01:16   #84
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

To be honest, the iPhone is no better than many of the phones available already.
I personally would prefer an N95 than an iPhone... Infact, for what I can do on my K800i (with 2Gb M2 card), I'd sooner have that than the iPhone!

People will only buy it because "it has an Apple logo on it... it must be good!"

Like Matt D said... Why not go with a normal network and get a better deal. The iPhone deal on o2 is a complete rip-off. o2 are only doing the iPhone because they know that people will want it just because it has the same apple logo on it as their iPod.

Likewise I'd prefer a Creative Zen or even an MS Zune than an iPod. Why be restricted to Apple's formats (Quicktime etc) when there are alternatives which are fully DivX compatible without needing iTunes (POS software if ever I've seen it) to copy the stuff over.
jonifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 14:12   #85
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonifen View Post
To be honest, the iPhone is no better than many of the phones available already.
I personally would prefer an N95 than an iPhone... Infact, for what I can do on my K800i (with 2Gb M2 card), I'd sooner have that than the iPhone!

People will only buy it because "it has an Apple logo on it... it must be good!"

Like Matt D said... Why not go with a normal network and get a better deal. The iPhone deal on o2 is a complete rip-off. o2 are only doing the iPhone because they know that people will want it just because it has the same apple logo on it as their iPod.

Likewise I'd prefer a Creative Zen or even an MS Zune than an iPod. Why be restricted to Apple's formats (Quicktime etc) when there are alternatives which are fully DivX compatible without needing iTunes (POS software if ever I've seen it) to copy the stuff over.
I was tempted by an older ipod if i can find one with a decent battery
Probably because the rockbox firmware works on the older ones and then it becomes anything but limited when it comes to formats...
http://www.rockbox.org/

Installing EDGE seems a bit silly when theres HSDPA about which just leaves EDGE standing in terms of thoughput
Old 25-09-2007, 14:22   #86
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I have a 1st-gen iPod, bought less than 3 months after UK launch, and it still goes for 6 or 7 hours on a full charge.

But it's not for sale.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 15:37   #87
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
I was tempted by an older ipod if i can find one with a decent battery
You just need to replace them. My 3G 40Gb iPod goes for a good 8+ hours on the new battery. Replacing it was not hard, the most difficult part was popping the case open with the plastic chopstick they supply.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2007, 18:47   #88
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Couple of important pieces of news:

iPhone update WILL brick unlocked phones.

and

Apple may break law over failing to honour unlocked phone's warrantees.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 23:26   #89
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

And so, the fair usage limit for O2's iPhone tariff is....

200MB per month.

ROFL.

This fits with the new O2 data bolt-ons:

http://www.o2.co.uk/mobilestariffs/t...umerdatabolton

Quote:
O2 Web Bolt On gives you unlimited* browsing through your phone for £7.50 per month

O2 Web Max gives you unlimited* browsing with a data card for £30 per month

* A fair use of 200MB per month applies to the O2 Web Bolt On. A fair use of 3GB per month applies to O2 Web Max.

OK, so it's better than before (4MB for £5, 20MB for £10), but still a joke.

Hah.

£7.50 Web 'n' Walk with T-Mobile... 1GB per month.

£12.50 Web 'n' Walk Plus with T-Mobile... 3GB per month.

£22.50 (?) Web 'n' Walk Max with T-Mobile... 10GB per month.

I think even "3" have good data rates too.

---------- Post added at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:24 ----------

Oh, & once your 18 month contract is up with O2, you have to *stay* with O2 on a month by month rolling contract if you want to continue using the iPhone as a phone.
Old 07-10-2007, 23:30   #90
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Mmmmmm, all bad news, even before that, I had / have almost decided to go for the N95, not 100% sure yet, but sure enough that it won't be an Iphone, too many negatives and not enough possitives
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote