Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:22   #1771
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tali View Post
Wow! This thread is growing fast, I can't keep up.

I'm waiting patiently for my 'phone call about Tivo, but in the mean time, I've had an email offering me a free upgrade to VIP 50 and HD movie channels for just £5 extra per month.

I'm currently on VIP20 and am giving this some serious thought, but was wondering what the best way to do it was. Should I do the upgrade to VIP50 now, and wait for Tivo; wait for the phone call and do it all at once; or wait for Tivo to be installed and do it later.

Are there any benefits to doing it the upgrade one way or another?

Cheers.
You may want to take a look at upgrading online. I looked last night and couldn't quite believe my eyes so I did it there and then.

Currently it says the follwoing under existing customers section under customer offers.
Select upgrade to faster broadband.
Then you will see

Upgrade to 50Mb broadband with free installation and activation
Boost your broadband speed to 50Mb, and we'll cover your installation and activation - worth £60.

You'd normally need to pay a £40 installation charge, and a £20 activation fee for Broadband XXL, but we'll cover both!

You'll get all this:

Up to 50Mb speed

Unlimited downloads1
Virgin Media Super Hub wireless router
and USB adaptor
Unlimited online backup & storage
100 free photo prints every month

So I filled in my details and booked in my date and time and that was it.
Need to make a call to make sure they bring another VHD box with them to replace the normal additional bix but as it's was completely free I thought I had nothing to lose apart from the extra couple of quid each month.
Also I get the Premium HD back for free so in total kind of turns out to be a saving over VIP20
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2011, 10:37   #1772
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you've fillled in that upgrade page then that's all that will be arranged. It's not designed to upgrade TV boxes at the same time (or Sky Premium HD), however Customer Services should be able to sort it out
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38   #1773
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulch View Post
I don't know where the information of load times being slow comes from, but the EPG loads immediately with my TiVo.
Must be his box then. It's easy to see on the video, he's watching football, the screen switched to red and moves the football to top right. It then takes about 5 seconds of red screen for the menu to appear.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:46   #1774
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
Why isn't it instant when switching menus etc.?

i have a decrepit freeview box that is instant.

sitting waiting for menus to appear?

the future of TV?
You have to remember that this is just being rolled out on a brand new box. What would people have made of the Sky 1Tb box when it was being rolled out and when the anytime+ software was added to it? It was a mess for weeks with the box being virtually useless to many. There are a few people who say that the youtube video doesn't represent their tivo box anyway. Instead of rushing to prejudge it why don't we give it a chance?
What most of us customers want to know for the time being anyway is when are vm going to get around to giving us the opportunity to have this box. I would like to see more feedback from people who have the box though.

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
Must be his box then. It's easy to see on the video, he's watching football, the screen switched to red and moves the football to top right. It then takes about 5 seconds of red screen for the menu to appear.
In the tivo community forum a user is reporting that his box was slow at first but isn't now. Like I say we need to give it a chance and see more feedback.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:07   #1775
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
If you've fillled in that upgrade page then that's all that will be arranged. It's not designed to upgrade TV boxes at the same time (or Sky Premium HD), however Customer Services should be able to sort it out
I agree with the having to tell them to bring the new box to change that but surely I was VIP20 so I will now be VIP50 and so the Premium HD is automatic?
If not then that is to be quite blunt.....crap

I will mention it to them anyway and then no doubt have billing issues for a while.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:11   #1776
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

The box is not slow. Like any digibox, if you've not long rebooted or just installed, then it's going to be downloading a lot of data in the background.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:13   #1777
ahardie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
The box is not slow. Like any digibox, if you've not long rebooted or just installed, then it's going to be downloading a lot of data in the background.
Aha! The zip has been moved by one notch.

Thanks for the info DF.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:14   #1778
gadge
Inactive

Services: Sky+ Hd Multiroom,Unlimited Broadband,Unlimited Phone,WD Tv
gadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpackgadge has a very nice sixpack

Just one question for those of us that are not chosen first when can the tivo be ordered via vms website?.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:16   #1779
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
Aha! The zip has been moved by one notch.

Thanks for the info DF.

I think i can get away with saying that

---------- Post added at 11:16 ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
Just one question for those of us that are not chosen first when can the tivo be ordered via vms website?.
Just fill in the form to register your interest and you will be contacted, once we are ready to roll out the next phase.

Link in my sig
Old 08-02-2011, 11:19   #1780
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
I agree with the having to tell them to bring the new box to change that but surely I was VIP20 so I will now be VIP50 and so the Premium HD is automatic?

I will mention it to them anyway and then no doubt have billing issues for a while.
When i upgraded from VIP20 - VIP50 in november, the HD upgrade happened immediately a week before the 50MB BB was installed, and i didn't ask for it.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:20   #1781
Impith
Inactive

Impith is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post

I'm in the same situation - have just upgraded online, in response to an email inviting me to go from VIP 20 to VIP 50 which specifically stated it would include premium HD. It led to a VIP upgrade landing page although it then did seem to go into the general update pages. But the £7 discount I was awarded for the Sky HD ran out with my last bill so I will be disappointed (but not surprised) if it isn't applied. But it did say I should expect a call to confirm installation so I will also mention it to them....
Old 08-02-2011, 11:27   #1782
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Please stay on the topic of TiVo, if you want to discuss BB or package upgrades please do so in the relevant sections of the forum.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:02   #1783
TeresaTT
Inactive

Services: Virgin V+HD TV XL Broadband L Soon to have TiVo
TeresaTT has a spectacular aura about themTeresaTT has a spectacular aura about themTeresaTT has a spectacular aura about themTeresaTT has a spectacular aura about them

I am very, very upset. I was looking forward to getting my TiVo installed next Tuesday but my contract arrived this morning with a phone line rental on it. I was told when I ordered that I would be able to have TiVo without a phone. However, when I phoned up today I've been told I can't have TiVo without a phone and so I've had to cancel.

This is so dissappointing.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:30   #1784
pauldavies83
Inactive

pauldavies83 is on a distinguished roadpauldavies83 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaTT View Post
I am very, very upset. I was looking forward to getting my TiVo installed next Tuesday but my contract arrived this morning with a phone line rental on it. I was told when I ordered that I would be able to have TiVo without a phone. However, when I phoned up today I've been told I can't have TiVo without a phone and so I've had to cancel.

This is so dissappointing.
Ahh, yet more pushing things into bundles people don't want.

I can understand why BT have to push their phone at you to give you broaband (its the delivery conduit after all!), but Virgin don't have to do this.

I know of plenty of people who have no use for a landline, yet have it thrust upon them by Virgin because it makes the bundle up, and the price without the phonline is ridiculous.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:48   #1785
ahardie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldavies83 View Post
Ahh, yet more pushing things into bundles people don't want.

I can understand why BT have to push their phone at you to give you broaband (its the delivery conduit after all!), but Virgin don't have to do this.

I know of plenty of people who have no use for a landline, yet have it thrust upon them by Virgin because it makes the bundle up, and the price without the phonline is ridiculous.
I think that Teresa has been badly treated and it is very disappointing for her but how is it any better for BT to do package bundles than VM. They could just as easily give you just broadband. The reason they do it is because they sell packages at a price they think will make a profit.
In Teresa's case I think she should have been given the option to have tivo at an adjusted price but as VM aren't doing that whilst the boxes are scarce that probably wasn't possible. She should have been told that straight away though.

Closed Thread