Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 20:07   #1756
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Ah, if I could I would
Out of interest DF, if people getting TIVOs installed now aren't under NDAs (such as demonstrated by the posted youtube video), why are staff still under NDAs?

I'm sure you could tell us things to get us even more excited
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2011, 20:24   #1757
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulch View Post
If they came out with an iPad or IPhone app, now that would be a leap!
The online guide has a mobile version

http://m.virginmedia.com/tvguide
Old 07-02-2011, 20:26   #1758
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Out of interest DF, if people getting TIVOs installed now aren't under NDAs (such as demonstrated by the posted youtube video), why are staff still under NDAs?

I'm sure you could tell us things to get us even more excited
Because we are still evolving the service and testing certain aspects before customer roll-out. Our boxes are on different software levels, so may be slightly different to the ones now with customers.

For this reason the NDA's have remained in place until further notice.
Old 07-02-2011, 20:31   #1759
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Because we are still evolving the service and testing certain aspects before customer roll-out. Our boxes are on different software levels, so may be slightly different to the ones now with customers.

Thanks for explaining.
Old 07-02-2011, 20:38   #1760
Paulch
Inactive

Paulch is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

Looks like the website has been upgraded since I last looked.

Looks like VM. Are Pulling out all the stops on TiVo!
Old 07-02-2011, 20:47   #1761
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

I can sign into that but as I do not have a TiVo I cannot record anything, nice idea though.
Old 07-02-2011, 21:44   #1762
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulch View Post
Looks like the website has been upgraded since I last looked.

Looks like VM. Are Pulling out all the stops on TiVo!
There will be an iPad app eventually.
Old 07-02-2011, 21:53   #1763
VirginMediaPhil
cf.addict

Services: 2x TiVo
VirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud ofVirginMediaPhil has much to be proud of

Quote:

That has made me feel a tad less annoyed I haven't got TiVo yet! (As in, the fact that all the bugs are being ironed out and hopefully when it launches it will be worth the wait)

Edit: Oh by the way guys, that video of the TiVo UI was made a member on the TiVo Community forums who just wanted to share some of the menus, and didn't really know which ones to record, so maybe you suggest to him which ones he could record if he ever records another video. His username is big_dirk.
Old 07-02-2011, 21:58   #1764
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I like the sound of a 14 day guide and the ability to search for programs upto 28 days from now.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:47   #1765
Wabiloo
Inactive

Wabiloo will become famous soon enoughWabiloo will become famous soon enoughWabiloo will become famous soon enough

I have to say, having seen that video, I am a little disappointed. Nice interface, but it still seems fairly basic to me, particularly the options around Live TV... I've had a Freeview PVR (the Topfield TF5800) which allows user plugins, and I installed the excellent MyStuff plugin. That interface is seriously more advanced and significantly faster, whith all the options for recording series automatically, managing schedule conflicts, managing files quickly and efficiently, like those that people seem to like so much about TiVo, an then some! I've had it for 4 years though, and I really get the impression that (apart from access to HD channels and catchup TV and VOD) I will actually have to downgrade my experience in terms of interface and usability experience... And I didn't have to pay £3 per month to get it...
Old 08-02-2011, 08:57   #1766
clinteastman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media XL TV, XXL Broadband, L Phone, TiVo, V+
clinteastman has reached the bronze age
clinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze ageclinteastman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabiloo View Post
I have to say, having seen that video, I am a little disappointed. Nice interface, but it still seems fairly basic to me, particularly the options around Live TV... I've had a Freeview PVR (the Topfield TF5800) which allows user plugins, and I installed the excellent MyStuff plugin. That interface is seriously more advanced and significantly faster, whith all the options for recording series automatically, managing schedule conflicts, managing files quickly and efficiently, like those that people seem to like so much about TiVo, an then some! I've had it for 4 years though, and I really get the impression that (apart from access to HD channels and catchup TV and VOD) I will actually have to downgrade my experience in terms of interface and usability experience... And I didn't have to pay £3 per month to get it...
It might not be the fairest to base your opinions of TiVo from that video. It's a bit like someone making a home video of there new Ferrari and just videoing the boot.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54   #1767
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

The most disappointing thing from that video, and it showed it at least twice was the time the red screen displayed blank when switching to the EPG from normal TV. It did seem like and age (about 5 seconds) to me from the time the screen went into the top right and the red screen filled the screen, before the UI actually appeared.

When speed is of most concern is with the most often used functions, ie launching the EGP. Things you do less often like search for programs, set recordings etc are not so relevant IMO.

Take home message.. They really need to work on preloading whatever is taking so long to launch in the EPG. Things like the ads at the top really should be being background loaded all the time, not just when you launch the EPG.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54   #1768
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinteastman View Post
It might not be the fairest to base your opinions of TiVo from that video. It's a bit like someone making a home video of there new Ferrari and just videoing the boot.
Tivo hopefully is an evolving product anyway. With more apps to come.
I see VM have just signed up another company to improve it's usability. From the article

"By implementing our 360Provisioning and assurance solution, Virgin Media can benefit from shorter implementation times and broader application coverage for its next generation of TiVo-powered services."

Tivo are expanding there software operation both in the US and abroad so that should spur on the development of more apps and improvements in the software.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:09   #1769
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Why isn't it instant when switching menus etc.?

i have a decrepit freeview box that is instant.

sitting waiting for menus to appear?

the future of TV?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:12   #1770
Paulch
Inactive

Paulch is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
The most disappointing thing from that video, and it showed it at least twice was the time the red screen displayed blank when switching to the EPG from normal TV. It did seem like and age (about 5 seconds) to me from the time the screen went into the top right and the red screen filled the screen, before the UI actually appeared.

When speed is of most concern is with the most often used functions, ie launching the EGP. Things you do less often like search for programs, set recordings etc are not so relevant IMO.

Take home message.. They really need to work on preloading whatever is taking so long to launch in the EPG. Things like the ads at the top really should be being background loaded all the time, not just when you launch the EPG.
I don't know where the information of load times being slow comes from, but the EPG loads immediately with my TiVo.
Closed Thread