Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 17:52   #1636
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I would like to see proof of that as it is rather unlikely when they have customers chomping at the bit waiting for the release.
It's true. As the TiVo installs have moved into the next stage then people can have as many as they want when they are contacted

Of course they have to pay the standard fees for each one.
Old 04-02-2011, 17:54   #1637
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's true. As the TiVo installs have moved into the next stage then people can have as many as they want when they are contacted

Now that really made me laugh especially as we have so many people wanting one now, it just goes to show money talks.
Old 04-02-2011, 18:01   #1638
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

That really is bad considering the apparant short supply of TIVO boxes.

It's bad enough that TIVO S1 owners are being given priority over long term VM customers, without giving them more than one box when there is a box shortage
Old 04-02-2011, 18:02   #1639
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
That really is bad considering the apparant short supply of TIVO boxes.

It's bad enough that TIVO S1 owners are being given priority over long term VM customers, without giving them more than one box when there is a box shortage
Who said there was a box shortage.

Just because Virgin are managing who gets the boxes doesn't mean they haven't got enough

And personally I think it's brilliant idea to target the S1 TiVo users first, as they are much more likely to pick up the concept straight away and then be advocates of it to others

As has been seen elsewhere most other people see it just as 'a new V+ HD with a different EPG' when it's so much more than that
Old 04-02-2011, 18:10   #1640
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Just because Virgin are managing who gets the boxes doesn't mean they haven't got enough

And personally I think it's brilliant idea to target the S1 TiVo users first, as they are much more likely to pick up the concept straight away and then be advocates of it to others

As has been seen elsewhere most other people see it just as 'a new V+ HD with a different EPG' when it's so much more than that
Totally agree, Ben. There has been alot of that being posted on forums. Some have been posting "it's just a new EPG and bigger hard-drive"
Old 04-02-2011, 18:11   #1641
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

Are you saying there isn't a box shortage?

And yes, us non S1 users are so thick, we wouldn't be able to work out how to use TIVO and so wouldn't give a recommendation to other people because of this.

Are you serious?

That's not like you Ben; bit surprised by that comment.
Old 04-02-2011, 18:14   #1642
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Are you saying there isn't a box shortage?[
I'm saying it's not going to make a difference if people want more than one box and pay for it. They aren't getting them free, they are paying £199 per box if they want more than one! How is that unfair?!

Quote:
And yes, us non S1 users are so thick, we wouldn't be able to work out how to use TIVO and so wouldn't give a recommendation to other people because of this.

Are you serious?

I wish you wouldn't put words into my mouth.

I did not say non TiVo users were thick.

However, Virgin's whole strategy for TiVo is word of mouth, customer recommendation etc. So S1 TiVo users are definately going to be advocates for it as they've been using the system in some form for the last 10 years or so
Old 04-02-2011, 18:14   #1643
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Are you saying there isn't a box shortage?

Are you serious?

There isn't a shortage, no.
Old 04-02-2011, 18:22   #1644
savvychels
cf.geek

Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
savvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpacksavvychels has a very nice sixpack

I have no issues with S1 (whether Virgin customers or not) having Tivo's first. I think it's actually quite fair once I heard how that whole original TiVo fiasco went down with people paying lifetime subs and then having nothing to show for it.

And while of course I'd like one tomorrow, I can wait till my turn comes - even if it's not till summer. I've survived without one this long I don't think it will kill me to wait longer - plus everyone else gets to work out the bugs
Old 04-02-2011, 18:24   #1645
fixerman
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 200mb Superhub 2, Two Tivo V6 1tb, one "Old" Tivo 1tb, home phone, Humax Freesat PVR.
fixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud offixerman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
There may not be a shortage of boxes but there certainly is a shortage of calls to non TivoS1 members of this forum. It's hard to swallow when we see the boxes going to people who have not even been VM customers.
Old 04-02-2011, 18:43   #1646
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
I wish you wouldn't put words into my mouth.

I did not say non TiVo users were thick.

However, Virgin's whole strategy for TiVo is word of mouth, customer recommendation etc. So S1 TiVo users are definately going to be advocates for it as they've been using the system in some form for the last 10 years or so
To say S1 users are more capable of advocating TIVO is ridiculous. Everyone who seems to have got one raves about it. What's better than fresh enthusiasm for a great new product to spread the word?

And, I'm sorry, but you were infering that non S1 TIVO users weren't as capable of promoting TIVO as S1 users. The use of the word 'thick' was to emphasise the sarcastic reply, which in my view, your answer deserved, as per the relevant emoticon.

If you think Virgins policy of giving priority to S1 users over long term VIP and XL users, you're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree.

I said I was surprised at your response because of the great advice you've given over the years both on this and the Digital spy forums, for which I'm very thankful for.

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

Quote:
I'm saying it's not going to make a difference if people want more than one box and pay for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Thanks for the info that there are enough boxes DF.

If that is the case, then yes, I agree there isn't a problem in customers having more than one box.

So, just to be clear, there are enough boxes for everyone who pre-registered to have one, and if there was infinite install capacity, we could all have one in our homes in the next few days?
Old 04-02-2011, 18:48   #1647
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
So, just to be clear, there are enough boxes for everyone who pre-registered to have one, and if there was infinite install capacity, we could all have one in our homes in the next few days?
There will be enough boxes being produced to fullfil the installs being booked.

If I was to guess I would think it's fairly close to a JIT process, with enough extra to cover any additional box requests. Virgin know how many installs they can complete in a week, and how many people pre-registered so can plan appropriately.

This isn't a bad thing, as quite a lot of companies operate orders in the same way. In the next few years then TiVo will become stock so less brand new boxes will be produced and more will be returned and refurbished.
Old 04-02-2011, 18:58   #1648
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
There will be enough boxes being produced to fullfil the installs being booked.

If I was to guess I would think it's fairly close to a JIT process, with enough extra to cover any additional box requests. Virgin know how many installs they can complete in a week, and how many people pre-registered so can plan appropriately.

This isn't a bad thing, as quite a lot of companies operate orders in the same way. In the next few years then TiVo will become stock so less brand new boxes will be produced and more will be returned and refurbished.
So, based on the number of people on the Pre register list and the install capacity, when will the last installs of pre-registered list happen? Feb?, March?. Later?

And, after the S1 installs, will they be working to a specific selection method of customers; for example VIP followed by XL customers followed by non XL prepared to upgrade? That seems the fairest way to me, even though as a triple XL, I'll come after the VIPs.
Old 04-02-2011, 19:02   #1649
Murk
Inactive

Murk is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: TiVo

Well according to the person who already has a Tivo box installed he "thinks" the EPG is still static and not dynamic which will be a real real shame if that turns out to be true!
Old 04-02-2011, 19:02   #1650
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
So, based on the number of people on the Pre register list and the install capacity, when will the last installs of pre-registered list happen? Feb?, March?. Later?
Honestly? Haven't a clue