Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TCP IP issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TCP IP issue

Old 02-05-2006, 19:52   #16
bringerofnoise
Inactive

Services: 3meg bb + family pack
bringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about thembringerofnoise has a spectacular aura about them
Re: TCP IP issue

hi just a shot in the dark check that the dhcp client service is running.
start>run>services.msc>find dhcp client and check it's running.
bringerofnoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2006, 09:08   #17
ophelia
Inactive

ophelia is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringerofnoise
hi just a shot in the dark check that the dhcp client service is running.
start>run>services.msc>find dhcp client and check it's running.
It is

I knew how to reset the tcp/ip but I was advised to reinstall it but and I've now also completely reinstalled the tcp/ip(afetr spending awhile looking for it on knowledge base heh heh), and I'm still getting the same issue.
I've run the network diagnostic and not gotton any fails, everything is "passed" the only issue there is incorrect DHCP address, 255.255.255.255 (I'm typing this from memory so wording may be slightly different)

I also tried uninstalling my NIC, and reinstalling it, I did Ipconfig /release then /renew and I get "unable to contact DHCP server" error on the /renew.

I'm still doubting whether or not this is my issue, there's 2 PCs, one that wasn't even plugged in with the same issue, and the issue only arose AFTER a disconnect from NTL.
When I called tech support yesterday, the only thing they would say is "nothing more we can do" and terminated the call, so if anyone has any other ideas it would be much appreciated, I'm about 24 hours away from installing a BT line heh heh
ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:13   #18
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

i would be tempted to see if you could get hold of a linux live disc from a friend.
ask a bud to google for DSL damn small linux (only 50mb or so)

you boot up from the cd and it makes no changes to your current windows setup.

If your internet works then windows could be at fault.
If not then it could be hardware or NTL.
but at least it is narrowed down.

Ry
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:06   #19
ophelia
Inactive

Hi, I tried your suggestion using popcorn slack, but still having the same issue in linux
Old 04-05-2006, 10:15   #20
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Well, if Linux refuses to connect, that pretty much rules out any problem with youe windows installation. There is a hardware problem with your modem or cable, or a problem somewhere on NTL's network.

You need to call CS again and explain to them exactly what steps you have taken. If they refuse to send out another tech, then ask to be put through to someone who can action your cancellation. You don't deserve to be played about with. That said, it's amazing how compliant they can suddenly become if you threaten to walk.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:01   #21
ophelia
Inactive

Reinstalled windows :/ Tech support 1.refused to believe it's not my issue, and were pretty rude and NTL have now lost a customer, BT + bulldog, here I come! heh heh, I can't believe how lax they've been in trying to sort out my issue, even after a clean xp install they're still insisting I have a software issue, after I ruled out a hardware issue by using multiple PCs.
The technician who came yesterday was really nice, but at the end of the day, my broadband is not fixed.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:14   #22
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

You had another tech round and it's still not fixed?! What was his explanation?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:23   #23
ophelia
Inactive

He didn't have an explanation at all, he just left the fault open, and that was about it.
NTL's bottom line is that it's my issue.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:03   #24
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

If he left the fault 'open', I wonder what he was expecting would happen next ...
Old 05-05-2006, 11:28   #25
ophelia
Inactive

No idea really :/ He did replace my set top box, but to no avail :/ I'm really suspicious of this, as it occured after a billing error disconnect.
But honestly, I've spent a fortune on calls to NTL and taken 2 days off work, if they weren't so rude when I called tech support, and just reading "restart PC" off sheet, I'd be more inclined to perservere, but it's getting ridiculous now
Old 05-05-2006, 12:02   #26
grandmaster
Inactive

grandmaster has reached the bronze age
grandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze agegrandmaster has reached the bronze age

Maybe one of our moderators could pass your details to their people on the inside.?
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 12:06   #27
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaster
Maybe one of our moderators could pass your details to their people on the inside.?
I would have, but there have been two techs out to the house already now. Our contacts are senior management and are very helpful at getting their staff to intervene and sort out problems when there has previously been reluctance to get involved. I'm not sure what another tech visit would achieve here.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:24   #28
ophelia
Inactive

Me either, tbh, I don't think it's a hardware fault on my end or on the NTL equipment my end.
I don't really know how the NTL network works, but there could be some sort of block in place after the billing disconnection which hasn't been taken off correctly, or some sort of issue like that...
It must be higher level, as it's absolutely not a 1.software fault (clean XP install from legitimate XP install disk, installed correctly) 2.hardware fault, new hardware installed, 2 pcs down at the same time, they can network together 3.NTL fault my end, the hardware (ethernet cable, set top box) all have been replaced, and they worked on engineer's laptop
SO the only thing left is some sort of higher level ntl fault.
I really don't know what else to do but swtitch ISPs
Old 05-05-2006, 12:29   #29
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia
Me either, tbh, I don't think it's a hardware fault on my end or on the NTL equipment my end.
I don't really know how the NTL network works, but there could be some sort of block in place after the billing disconnection which hasn't been taken off correctly, or some sort of issue like that...
It must be higher level, as it's absolutely not a 1.software fault (clean XP install from legitimate XP install disk, installed correctly) 2.hardware fault, new hardware installed, 2 pcs down at the same time, they can network together 3.NTL fault my end, the hardware (ethernet cable, set top box) all have been replaced, and they worked on engineer's laptop
SO the only thing left is some sort of higher level ntl fault.
I really don't know what else to do but swtitch ISPs
Well, we can give it one last try anyway if you like ... switching ISP can be a faff, so if you really want to stick with NTL you can PM me your full name and NTL account number. I will pass this to our contact and we will see what she can do. You never know, there may be a more senior tech who can investigate further.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:36   #30
Marge
Inactive

Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars

One thing worth checking is that the STB is definately receiving the BB signal which may not have been added back on properly after the disconnect??

If you press the "page up" button, then "page down" button and then the "blue" button as quickly as you can it should bring up a menu, on page 3 it should have the "QOS" which should show your BB speed
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote