Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Questions about Routers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Questions about Routers

Old 05-09-2005, 22:47   #16
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: Questions about Routers

Securing a wireless router against casual abuse, the most important feature is to use WEP, which will need a key entered on the router and on any wireless PCs.

WEP can be defeated in a concerted attack, but it's a whole lot better than leaving a router open, unless you intend to provide a free access point for as far as the signal travels!

MAC address filtering is another option that can be used, though it does not provide a huge increase in security against anyone capable of breaking the WEP key.

Turning off SSID broadcast is often suggested, but on many setups, it results in erratic or non-connection. Change the SSID from deafult, so you can identify your router if another of the same type operates nearby.

It is also best to change any default password and disable remote (outside) management/login - just make sure that you know how to factory-reset the router, in case you lock yourself out, and that you do not apply restrictions to wired connection as well as wireless.

Falling foul of a non-broadcast SSID incompatibility, I ended up with a wireless lockout - retrieved by making a wired connection, and turning broadcast back on.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2005, 23:20   #17
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Bit more on security....

Article about securing a wireless network:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12

The thread the article came from:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=8435
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:56   #18
bbwannabe
Inactive

bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough

lol, most of these don't make much sense to me. I guess if we do go with the routers, things will fall into place a bit more. Ta.
bbwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 18:06   #19
bbwannabe
Inactive

bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough

Any sort of recommendations regarding Wireless PCI Cards?

thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 17:31   #20
bbwannabe
Inactive

Sorry for bumping this up but looking at a few routers from LinkSys, along with USB card, Laptop PCIMIA card, and PCI cards, I've noticed they mention WEP but not WPA. Is WPA possible through firmware, or does it need to come along physically on these components?.

Sorry for the dumb questions.
Old 13-09-2005, 16:27   #21
zing_deleted

I have actually now set up the home plug and they work a treat . Very simple you just have install a small software program which you then imput device passwords that are on the plug a volla.Less messy that wired and as simple as wireless imo
Old 13-09-2005, 16:35   #22
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
Today, I am running 6 computers off of my Broadband, NTL cant tell how many PCs are running of it so i cant see how it's policable as it all goes through one IP
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...&page=54&pp=15
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...&postcount=804
Well certain CMs report this sort of information (and no this was not a combined CM/router, the CM was plugged into an Apple Airport express and correctly reported the iMac and Laptop connected wirelessly to the Airport.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 19:09   #23
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

How could it work that out as its on the other side of a NAT firewall?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 14:28   #24
bbwannabe
Inactive

Just want to say thanks to everyone who helped out in this thread. Got the router (WRT54G) and 2 pci wireless cards (WMP56G) and managed after some confusing period to get it working. So cheers

Shame the quick instruction manual doesnt say much about the QoS, or other net restriction features.
Old 27-09-2005, 16:29   #25
bbwannabe
Inactive

Quick question: Is the net restrictions only limited to those connections connected through the ethernet ports? (ie its not possible to disable or restrict the net access for those using wireless?).
Old 27-09-2005, 17:12   #26
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwannabe
Quick question: Is the net restrictions only limited to those connections connected through the ethernet ports? (ie its not possible to disable or restrict the net access for those using wireless?).
I think you can do it thru mac addressing.
Old 27-09-2005, 17:28   #27
bbwannabe
Inactive

Cheers SMHarman.

Still got a few niggles to work through.

- Some issues regarding shared folders.. Sometimes they are accessible, sometimes they arent. I think it may be a kerio firewall issue but its kinda delayed, and i aint to sure whats causing it.

- PCI wireless cards are acting up. Sis comp seems to have stopped accessing the net even though it worked fine the last few hours... Same issue with bro's comp. Doing me head in lol.

Sister's issue may have to do with Internet Restrictions settings for the router...
Old 27-09-2005, 21:55   #28
SMHarman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
I think you can do it thru mac addressing.
Applications and Gaming
QoS
Device Priority (and input the mac address and name it)

is your firmware uptodate 4.07 or 4.20
Old 28-09-2005, 11:10   #29
bbwannabe
Inactive

My Router Webpage shows: Firmware Version : v4.01.1

I've tried looking around for the 4.20 on the official UK site of Linksys but it only shows WRT54GV3.1_4.00.7_US_code (http://www1.linksys.com/internationa...wid=201&coid=6 ) Do you think its worth updating the firmware to this?

I've managed (I thinK) to get the shared folders working now. I've deleted all my firewall rules and started permitting and denying from scratch. Seems to have fixed that.

I've noticed occassionally the wireless icon usually pops up a connection message now and then. I think it cuts out due to idleness, but it's annoying as I use ultravnc to remote control my desktop PC, but when I have it minimised it seems to cut out and the UltraVNC window closes. Any suggestions?

Cheers.
Old 28-09-2005, 12:07   #30
SMHarman
Inactive

4.2 is the US code, it results in only having channels 1-11 on the router, but reading through it seemed that the changes from 07 to 20 made that sacrifice worthwhile. Mine seems a lot more stable now, but I did upgrade from 1.07!