Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WiFi not working on one device

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WiFi not working on one device

Old 26-07-2023, 15:03   #1
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 TV 360 boxes. 500mb BB, Phone line.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
WiFi not working on one device

I had to install the new type phone adaptor into my hub yesterday then reboot the hub.
All appeared to have gone well, my desktop via Ethernet was fine. Two different tablets and two smartphones reconnected to the wifi network perfectly.

today I have just tried to use our Win 10 laptop and get 'Unidentified network, no internet access' on the taskbar.

Running the troubleshooter for network status throws up the problem as 'WiFi doesn't have a valid IP configuration'.

I have tried a few simple things like rebooting hub and PC, ipconfig/flushdns and reset network adaptors without any joy.

Any suggestions welcome.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-07-2023, 15:06   #2
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: WiFi not working on one device

Could try to forget device / network, refresh, click on your wifi name, enter your wifi password. ?

Last edited by peanut; 26-07-2023 at 15:10.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 15:19   #3
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

Think I may have already done that as well..
Old 26-07-2023, 15:29   #4
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Have you tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig/renew?

Found this on a search.....

1. Press Windows+X and select Windows PowerShell (Admin).

2. Run each of the commands below, pressing Enter after each line and waiting for the process to finish:

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset

3. Exit the PowerShell window and restart the computer. If a corrupted TCP/IP stack was at the source of the error, you should be able to connect online without problems.
Old 26-07-2023, 15:38   #5
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

I found those as well, tried them al without success, will go over them all again, also mentioned drivers as a possible cause?

Last edited by iadom; 26-07-2023 at 15:42.
Old 26-07-2023, 15:48   #6
peanut
NUTS !!

Uninstall / reinstall the network adapter? Re install drivers for it.

Pull the plug on the router for at least a minute or 5?

Check if Network Service Is Running?

Reset Firewall and AV?

Network reset within windows?

Tricky one that, should be a straight forward fix but you've seem to have tried everything.
Old 26-07-2023, 16:04   #7
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Going out for a couple of hours, will get back on it later.
Old 26-07-2023, 21:41   #8
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Back again, have uninstalled WiFi adaptor in Device Manager, rebooted and reinstalled drivers with no success.

I have now plugged an ethernet cable between the hub and laptop and still get an 'Unidentified Network' message.
Old 26-07-2023, 22:11   #9
peanut
NUTS !!

Try everything on this page.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-u...etwork-windows
Old 26-07-2023, 22:30   #10
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Had enough for now, will try again tomorrow although I have already done most of the things on that list.

Thanks for trying to help.

Jim.
Old 27-07-2023, 11:30   #11
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

I had an issue a few weeks ago with my work laptop (windows 10). I got a new router from Sky and to save me changing the WiFi details on all the bits of kit round the house I decided to just change the network name and password on the router.

All was good until the next day when I turned my laptop on and it just wouldn't connect to the WiFi, and whatever I did made no difference. I swapped the router back to the old one and everything connected no problem. Sky wanted the old router back so keeping it wasn't an option so in the end I reset the new router, kept the default network name and password and everything (including my work laptop) connected no problem.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2023, 11:51   #12
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Still plugging away with this.

Update: I found that when I tried to run ipconfig/release or ipconfig/renew they failed due to ‘Media disconnected’ warning???

Now looking at how to solve Media Dissconneted errors.
Old 27-07-2023, 12:18   #13
peanut
NUTS !!

Some info on that here....

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge...ed-in-windows/

(Just don't bother with any 'driver easy' software).
Old 27-07-2023, 13:46   #14
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

I have been working my way through that and several other pages without success so far. Nextt step is to try and update the wifi adapter drivers but not as easy without internet. Trying to find it on the Intel drivers site atm.

---------- Post added at 13:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 ----------

Still no joy, downloaded the latest drivers from intel but PC insists it is using the latest ones.

My real problem/ question is chicken and egg. Is the Media Disconnected the cause of the problem or is it No valid IP configuration??

Would I be correct in thinking that the fact that the fault is exactly the same on both wifi and ethernet means that the wifi adapter drivers are not the cause of the problem?

Last edited by iadom; 27-07-2023 at 14:22.
Old 27-07-2023, 16:19   #15
peanut
NUTS !!

I take it you've tried the below in the order stated?

In the search box on the taskbar click Start, type command prompt, right-click the command prompt result and then select Run as administrator and confirm.
At the command prompt (decline restarting your machine until you have entered the final command):
Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter. (This will stall for a moment.)
Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter. (Don’t restart yet.)
Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
Now restart your machine