Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media mates rates deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is it time to say goodbye to the V & V+HD Box?

Old 01-12-2014, 13:01   #1
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads
Is it time to say goodbye to the V & V+HD Box?

It has been confirmed that another day has been lost on the EPG.

would it be acceptable for VM to just RIP the V and V+ HD Box and just replace all existing non TIVO users to TIVO boxes?

There is some logic in doing this:

1) Simpler maintenance in supporting one technology (TIVO) and thus reduce overheads
2) Simplied offering of billing and packages (and thus cut out the additional charge of TIVO)
3) Universal platform for development rather than checking legacy equipment for compatibility when new enhancements take place

Is TIVO ready to be "the" single platform provider for VM as standard or is there a warranted market to both a TIVO and non TIVO offering
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2014, 14:30   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Is it time to say goodbye to the V & V+HD Box?

I'm keeping my VHD box thanks very much. It's an invaluable addition to Tivo and better in a few ways. Catch Up is more reliable (i.e iplayer works), and it's generally much quicker. Also on SD channels I find the PQ a bit better with the VHD. Its an ideal box for the bedroom in that it auto powers down and is small and unobtrusive and doesn't have a hard drive whirring all night.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 14:45   #3
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

I got half price installation of £25 (no self-install then) and a £5 credit for 18 months.
I was happy with that at the time.

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Did someone delete a post or have i cross-posted? Pretty sure i was replying to gemma??
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 14:47   #4
ase001
Inactive

Services: V6 * 2,NetFlix, Prime, NowTV *1, FireStick *1, 3500Mb BB. MediaPortal, Plex (1 * Freesat and 3 * Fr
ase001 will become famous soon enoughase001 will become famous soon enoughase001 will become famous soon enough

It would be nice, but I can't see it happening.

I can't see the current Tivo becoming standard either.

In-fact I think the current Tivo platform will be the last of it's kind. They are too expensive to roll out and maintain, the replacement may-well be branded Tivo and have a Tivo user interface but it will be more like the Apple TV, Now TV type appliance (cheap as chips).

Who needs cable when you can get 50Mb+ broadband and on demand from several sources? Recording linear channels will be less important with complete box sets available online and the likes of iPlayer allowing 30days to watch catchup. When you want to record it will be straight to the cloud, well a marker placed against a library holding a generic copy of the program.
ase001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 16:28   #5
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Question Re: Is it time to say goodbye to the V & V+HD Box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute View Post
It has been confirmed that another day has been lost on the EPG.

would it be acceptable for VM to just RIP the V and V+ HD Box and just replace all existing non TIVO users to TIVO boxes?

There is some logic in doing this:

1) Simpler maintenance in supporting one technology (TIVO) and thus reduce overheads
2) Simplied offering of billing and packages (and thus cut out the additional charge of TIVO)
3) Universal platform for development rather than checking legacy equipment for compatibility when new enhancements take place

Is TIVO ready to be "the" single platform provider for VM as standard or is there a warranted market to both a TIVO and non TIVO offering
VM seem quite happy to run different platforms on their network for some reason. The question I have is what software platform is installed on the new VHD boxes?
Old 01-12-2014, 18:55   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute View Post
There are well over two million non-TiVo boxes still in use. So VM couldn't "just" replace them - the boxes have to be sourced and installed. That would be a massive undertaking and cost, which at the moment outweighs the benefits.

I'd expect certain Liberate box models will be withdrawn sooner, though. (Some already have been).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
VM seem quite happy to run different platforms on their network for some reason.
"Happy" is a bit strong, but at the moment there isn't an alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
The question I have is what software platform is installed on the new VHD boxes?
Liberate.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:01   #7
MutleyF
Inactive

Services: 1TB Tivo, "Big Kahuna"
MutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant futureMutleyF has a brilliant future

Interesting, but equally I cannot see this happening.

In my opinion, Live TV will continue - can you imagine a mother "sourcing a live feed of cbbc" for her children ?

I think the internet has to be a lot more reliable before everything goes cloud based. There would be too much uproar if the internet went down whilst someone was watching Eastenders !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase001 View Post
It would be nice, but I can't see it happening.

I can't see the current Tivo becoming standard either.

In-fact I think the current Tivo platform will be the last of it's kind. They are too expensive to roll out and maintain, the replacement may-well be branded Tivo and have a Tivo user interface but it will be more like the Apple TV, Now TV type appliance (cheap as chips).

Who needs cable when you can get 50Mb+ broadband and on demand from several sources? Recording linear channels will be less important with complete box sets available online and the likes of iPlayer allowing 30days to watch catchup. When you want to record it will be straight to the cloud, well a marker placed against a library holding a generic copy of the program.
MutleyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:19   #8
ase001
Inactive

Services: V6 * 2,NetFlix, Prime, NowTV *1, FireStick *1, 3500Mb BB. MediaPortal, Plex (1 * Freesat and 3 * Fr
ase001 will become famous soon enoughase001 will become famous soon enoughase001 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutleyF View Post
Interesting, but equally I cannot see this happening.
It's happening now, just look at the latest TVs they already offer the basic Linear TV channels, on demand and access to box sets. In the case of Sony, Samsung and LG they all are looking to provide original content too!

If we go back to the days of Tiscali (part of Talktalk now) they had a set top box that did all linear channels down the internet and it worked reasonably well. That was five plus years ago!

In my home we watch very little live TV (excluding sports), it's either on demand or recorded. If we had access to a decent library of box sets we probably would record that much TV either?

Even Tivo are looking at providing apps for internet devices (including PC's), so they can see the writing on the wall for the Tivo box! They have just re-written there software using a new library which makes it portable to other platforms! At present the apps stream from your Tivo box but they also stream from other sources!

The business model of VM TV is currently flawed and will need to change or go extinct!
ase001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:31   #9
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutleyF View Post
can you imagine a mother "sourcing a live feed of cbbc" for her children ?
It would more likely be the children having to source a live feed for the parents
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote