Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Old 05-06-2012, 19:06   #736
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
The only other thing I can think of is that you never have three tuners free for a clear couple of hours at the same time as a film is broadcast which matches your interests. Have you looked at the suggestions made in the "browse" menu to see if there are movies suggested, but just not recorded, or just in suggestions in "myshows"?
I do get movies suggested in the menu bar, but often these are movies I've already rated myself when the film was on terrestrial TV. Other films that are recommended are on Filmflex rather than terrestrial TV, which is not what I'm looking for.

I understand what your saying about 3 tuners not being free. I've had TiVo for around 8 months and it would be an incredible coincidence that every time it's found a film that matches my taste, it couldn't record it due to a lack of tuners.

There is loads of films on the XL package today that TiVo should really have picked up from my recommendations. For example:

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - Watch
The Prestige - BBC Two
American Gangster - ITV4
Ocean's Twelve - Watch
The Bourne Identity - Universal
Platoon - TCM
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2012, 19:44   #737
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Go to browse TV and look in the suggestion folder there, rather than the menu bar-do any of those films appear there? If so then it should be easy to work out why they're not recording.

As far as I can work out, what's displayed in the menu bar has more to do with the show that's currently highlighted in the menu below it than your preferences.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 20:40   #738
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Go to browse TV and look in the suggestion folder there, rather than the menu bar-do any of those films appear there? If so then it should be easy to work out why they're not recording.

As far as I can work out, what's displayed in the menu bar has more to do with the show that's currently highlighted in the menu below it than your preferences.
Okay I've checked. I have the following listed:

The Walking Dead
The Ricky Gervais Show
Bunces Boxing Hour
An Idiot Abroad
Unsolved History
Mythbusters
Wonders Of The Solar System
Ringside
Harry Hills TV Burp
The Simpsons

In terms of what's being suggested, it's a good effort from TiVo. I would watch these programmes. No movies featured in my list though.

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Does TiVo record suggestions in HD?

I've got 37 suggestions currently such as Mythbusters, The Ricky Gervais Show, Top Gear, Fringe, Bear Grylls, Man Vs. Food etc..... Not one of these shows is in HD. TiVo has recorded all of the suggestions from the SD versions of the channels. Strangely whenever it records a programme from BBC 1 or BBC 2 it records from the audio description version of the channels.

In the 8 or so months I've had TiVo I can't remember any of my suggestions being in HD. Has anyone else had this problem?
@Andy M

As above pretty much the majority of films I've gave ratings too have been on the HD variants of the channels i.e. Film 4HD, BBC HD, Channel 4HD etc...
I wonder if, for some reason, this is having an effect on movies not being automatically recorded as a suggestion. Just a thought really.
Old 05-06-2012, 21:08   #739
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Right well I'm struggling as to why no movies then-I agree it seems unlikely you wouldn't have any in 8 months because of tuner clashes. My other thought is that when you highlight a show it tells you which category it belongs to, whilst movies seem more interested in who's in them rather than what they're about, so possibly a Meta data issue-ie it isn't specific enough with the way it tags movies so if it knows you like movies the only way it would be handle that is record every movie, or none. I'm guessing now, and my understanding of how it works might be wrong.

I have the same issue with hd, but have had some recorded-a need for extra space is the only cross over I can think of.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 21:38   #740
Chad
cf.mega poster

Glad for your time and interest in the matter Andy.

I would have thought identifying movies would have been fairly easy for TiVo. Movies just like TV shows have categories, sub-categories and a list of actors. Maybe because the info listed on movies can be very in depth, especially actor info, it takes the TiVo box longer to figure out which actors and actresses and genres I like and dislike.

It would be great to hear from someone at Virgin to confirm what the issue is.
Old 06-06-2012, 15:43   #741
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of points.

Any idea why the films on Sky anytime don't have subtitles, although they were there when screened on Sky movies ?

Also I've been recording Harrys Law on Universal +1, but the last recording was totally pixilated, also missed the last 2 shows in the previous series for the same reason. Universal is fine, and plus 1 comes back after a reboot.
dazed&confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 15:49   #742
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
Any idea why the films on Sky anytime don't have subtitles, although they were there when screened on Sky movies ?
Difference in technology - none of the VoD on Virgin has subtitles apart from iPlayer (due that being via the app rather than the VoD system)
Old 06-06-2012, 15:51   #743
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ben
getting a bit mutton these days, so can't pick out a lot of the accents
dazed&confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 19:23   #744
Risco
Inactive

Services: VIP; BB XL; TiVo 1TB; V+HD
Risco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to beholdRisco is a splendid one to behold

When is the next code drop?
Risco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 20:11   #745
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco View Post
When is the next code drop?
Don't know mate, but rumour on Digital Spy was that reminders will launch in the next one, hope so.
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 20:15   #746
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
Don't know mate, but rumour on Digital Spy was that reminders will launch in the next one, hope so.
l think that code drop is a few months away yet Henke from what my sources are telling me.
Old 06-06-2012, 22:54   #747
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

September I reckon
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:24   #748
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
It's no longer rumour. VM have confirmed that reminders will be back with the next major software update. It was posted on the VM site and somewhere back in this very thread. Call me old-fashioned but it's something I miss and still use on my bedroom V+ box.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37   #749
naeskydish
Inactive

Services: Tivo , V+ hd , TV XL broadband XXL
naeskydish is just really nicenaeskydish is just really nicenaeskydish is just really nicenaeskydish is just really nicenaeskydish is just really nicenaeskydish is just really nice

Most years I have taken up the full sky premier package which includes all the movies and keep it for a few months recording movies to watch at my leisure after I cancel the package.

That worked fine with my V HD + Box, but not with TIVO which advised I could not watch any of the movies recorded as I was not subscribed. Fair doos, but I was dissapointed that I hadn't checked this out before hand. I then reduced my TIVO box from 75% full down to 45%

I could instead have watched more movies under Sky anytime than I did. This for me is another example on how my viewing habits have changed since have having Tivo. I'll adapt but I still l think Tivo is a great improvement to what I had.
naeskydish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:53   #750
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by naeskydish View Post
Most years I have taken up the full sky premier package which includes all the movies and keep it for a few months recording movies to watch at my leisure after I cancel the package.

That worked fine with my V HD + Box, but not with TIVO which advised I could not watch any of the movies recorded as I was not subscribed.
Actually, I think you'll find that it works that way on the V+ too now It was changed some time ago, AIUI, at the insistence of Sky.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote