Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Old 29-05-2012, 19:53   #721
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Red face Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
ha ha u were right Den, engineer called for Tuesday, channels keep conking out on TiVo box, weak signal by all accounts

MysticDen :-)

Update, spent 40 mins on phone as engineer didn't turn up. Got call last night to confirm that they were coming but waited the 3 hours today with no show. Was told when i called to enquire where the engineer was that they had cancelled it without telling me cos there was a fault in the area!!! They checked it out and confirmed that my fault was nothing to do with the area fault but policy was to cancel any engineer visits if there was a fault in the area. They checked my box and confirmed I still have a fault and will send out an engineer!! Had nothing but trouble since this "upgrade" Internet connection which is supposed to be faster is sporadic and tv channels missing, freezing etc etc etc Very unhappy with service.
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-05-2012, 19:57   #722
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Quote:
Update, spent 40 mins on phone as engineer didn't turn up. Got call last night to confirm that they were coming but waited the 3 hours today with no show. Was told when i called to enquire where the engineer was that they had cancelled it without telling me cos there was a fault in the area!!! They checked it out and confirmed that my fault was nothing to do with the area fault but policy was to cancel any engineer visits if there was a fault in the area. They checked my box and confirmed I still have a fault and will send out an engineer!! Had nothing but trouble since this "upgrade" Internet connection which is supposed to be faster is sporadic and tv channels missing, freezing etc etc etc Very unhappy with service.
l am really sorry to hear about your problems Henke and l do hope it is sorted out sooner rather then later for you.
Old 29-05-2012, 19:58   #723
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

That is unacceptable. When you next speak to them ask for a discount. Do not let them fob you off.
Old 29-05-2012, 20:03   #724
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l am really sorry to hear about your problems Henke and l do hope it is sorted out sooner rather then later for you.
You are a lovely man who takes the time to think of others despite being on the verge of having Roberto Martinez as manager

Thank you Den, they coming out Friday morning now, Mrs Ghost not chuffed, she doesn't work on a Friday and won't get a lie in

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
That is unacceptable. When you next speak to them ask for a discount. Do not let them fob you off.
They gave me £13 which is ok but still shocking Customer Service
Henkesghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 20:06   #725
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
You are a lovely man who takes the time to think of others despite being on the verge of having Roberto Martinez as manager

Thank you Den, they coming out Friday morning now, Mrs Ghost not chuffed, she doesn't work on a Friday and won't get a lie in

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

They gave me £13 which is ok but still shocking Customer Service
l look at it this way as there is always someone worse off then myself so l tend to looks at most things in a positive way in life.

Not sure Martinez is going to get the job now according to the latest rumours.
Old 29-05-2012, 21:12   #726
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Sorry to hear your having trouble since your upgrade M8.I hope it all gets sorted soon.

---------- Post added at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l look at it this way as there is always someone worse off then myself so l tend to looks at most things in a positive way in life.

Not sure Martinez is going to get the job now according to the latest rumours.
Looks like Brendan Rodgers is now in the frame. I do not envy anyone taking over at Anfield. He will not get much time to sort it out.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 22:52   #727
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Does TiVo record suggestions in HD?

I've got 37 suggestions currently such as Mythbusters, The Ricky Gervais Show, Top Gear, Fringe, Bear Grylls, Man Vs. Food etc..... Not one of these shows is in HD. TiVo has recorded all of the suggestions from the SD versions of the channels. Strangely whenever it records a programme from BBC 1 or BBC 2 it records from the audio description version of the channels.

In the 8 or so months I've had TiVo I can't remember any of my suggestions being in HD. Has anyone else had this problem?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 23:16   #728
Lostlam
Inactive

Lostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enoughLostlam will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Does TiVo record suggestions in HD?

I've got 37 suggestions currently such as Mythbusters, The Ricky Gervais Show, Top Gear, Fringe, Bear Grylls, Man Vs. Food etc..... Not one of these shows is in HD. TiVo has recorded all of the suggestions from the SD versions of the channels. Strangely whenever it records a programme from BBC 1 or BBC 2 it records from the audio description version of the channels.

In the 8 or so months I've had TiVo I can't remember any of my suggestions being in HD. Has anyone else had this problem?
I have the exact same issue, but it has once recorded a HD version of Eastenders, but that's it. I am guessing, but I think it might be to do with storage space so each recording takes up less space compared to a HD recording. That seems to be the only explanation as it can't be to do with programming as it does on very few occasions record in HD.
Lostlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 23:22   #729
Captain Pugwash
Inactive

Services: TV XL, BB Med, Phone
Captain Pugwash is an unknown quantity at this point

My thinking is that these are purely "suggestions" and so to save disk space they will be recorded in SD. If you want them in HD then I think you need to set a series link or wishlist (which needs to specify HD). Not 100% sure tho.
Captain Pugwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 23:48   #730
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Pugwash View Post
My thinking is that these are purely "suggestions" and so to save disk space they will be recorded in SD. If you want them in HD then I think you need to set a series link or wishlist (which needs to specify HD). Not 100% sure tho.
That's what I was thinking too however this shouldn't be a problem according to the Go Discover manual you get with your TiVo box.

"If there's space on your box, it'll automatically record your Suggestions for you. But don't worry, Suggestions won't replace the shows you've chosen to record. And they're always the first to be deleted to make room for specific recordings you've set up."

On the same page of the Go Discover Manual there's another statement which for me personally doesn't ring true.

"Your box learns what you like the most and makes Suggestions for you, But not just any old stuff - it suggest's programmes and movies based on your recordings and thumb ratings."

8 months in and I've still to have a movie suggested to me. If Virgin could implement the option to have suggestions recorded in HD, and for movies to be actually suggested, then I'd be a very happy TiVo user indeed.
Old 05-06-2012, 13:33   #731
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
That's what I was thinking too however this shouldn't be a problem according to the Go Discover manual you get with your TiVo box.

"If there's space on your box, it'll automatically record your Suggestions for you. But don't worry, Suggestions won't replace the shows you've chosen to record. And they're always the first to be deleted to make room for specific recordings you've set up."

On the same page of the Go Discover Manual there's another statement which for me personally doesn't ring true.

"Your box learns what you like the most and makes Suggestions for you, But not just any old stuff - it suggest's programmes and movies based on your recordings and thumb ratings."

8 months in and I've still to have a movie suggested to me. If Virgin could implement the option to have suggestions recorded in HD, and for movies to be actually suggested, then I'd be a very happy TiVo user indeed.
Hi, Chad. Are you recording movies and/or giving the thumbs up ratings? I think you need to do this before it will record any movies.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 15:28   #732
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Hi, Chad. Are you recording movies and/or giving the thumbs up ratings? I think you need to do this before it will record any movies.
Yeah I first realised about 8 weeks ago that TiVo had never recommended a film for me. I don't have SKY Movies but I do record a lot of films from Film 4 and the various terrestrial channels.

I posted on Virgins Help and Support forum about 7 weeks ago but never really got a definitive answer. It seems to be a common problem:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...ht/true#M52214

People have suggested using Wishlists but that isn't the point. Virgin suggest TiVo will recommend movies but it simply doesn't, or very rarely does. TiVo has suggested some really good TV programmes, which I've enjoyed watching. I just want it to do the same for movies too.
Old 05-06-2012, 16:45   #733
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I wonder if there are some rights issues muddying the waters somewhere in the background?
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 16:47   #734
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I wonder if there are some rights issues muddying the waters somewhere in the background?
Yes you could be right as this rights issues seems to be complicating quite a few things in my opinion.
Old 05-06-2012, 17:09   #735
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

The only other thing I can think of is that you never have three tuners free for a clear couple of hours at the same time as a film is broadcast which matches your interests. Have you looked at the suggestions made in the "browse" menu to see if there are movies suggested, but just not recorded, or just in suggestions in "myshows"?
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote