Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | General TiVo Discussion Part 3

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Old 27-11-2014, 15:55   #2251
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
Re: General TiVo Discussion Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It won't do any harm, but it shouldn't be necessary either.
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence, both here and on DS, that the initial speed gains found by most immediately after the update have disappeared and in some cases got worse. Certainly when I first received the update it was rapid, but it's slowed down to the point of almost ignoring me today. Is that something that's been noticed? Is it a case of having to let everything settle, or is it not as big an issue as the forums suggest?
Old 27-11-2014, 17:42   #2252
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Is that something that's been noticed?
It isn't a known issue, if that's what you mean. I haven't had any reports except those I've read here. There are enough here to concern me, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
Is it a case of having to let everything settle, or is it not as big an issue as the forums suggest?
No "settling" is required as far as I'm aware.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 19:04   #2253
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Pressing 'Home' leaves me with a black screen for 3/4 seconds befor an unpopulated Home screen appears. If I then choose an option I again get a black screen delay before an unpopulated screen appears. Not much of a delay at each stage but enough when added togather to be irritating.

The same thing happens if I go direct to 'My Shows' though there is very little delay in either case once I actually choose a recorded program from those shown.
Old 27-11-2014, 19:25   #2254
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

So its not my imagination, Tivo is a lot slower. Makes my V+ look slick !
Old 27-11-2014, 20:48   #2255
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

I would not say mine has got much slower, but it is certainly not any quicker than it was before the update.

If it is not a known problem at VMHQ SP, who should we be raising this with?
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 21:24   #2256
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
If it is not a known problem at VMHQ SP, who should we be raising this with?
Me. See post #2231.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 21:57   #2257
sminkypinky
Inactive

Services: VIP50, Tivo arrived 18th April.
sminkypinky will become famous soon enoughsminkypinky will become famous soon enoughsminkypinky will become famous soon enough

Have only noticed the occasional slowdown myself on both of our boxes. Two pointers that may make a difference, one being that the green street cabinet is just over the road from our house and the second that both boxes are set to sleep in the energy saving menu.
sminkypinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 22:12   #2258
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Me. See post #2231.
Okay, clearly missed that one. Please consider my experience of the update raised. No problem with the colour scheme, but the increased speeds would have been nice.

Thanks for taking the time to pass on my comments.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 01:07   #2259
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Just took 2mins 02s to load up Netflix to be useable, below is link to the video.

http://youtu.be/DlXYMPlcsrA

Never used to take that long, perhaps a minute or more though.

Will try capture a few more of the TiVo screens, but going into Home > On Demand or Search & Discover has been pretty slow of late.

Reboot fixes it for a day or so, but then back to a good 4 or 5 seconds usually between screens.

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 ----------

TV On Demand, this was just after a re-boot

http://youtu.be/65JDicERO1w
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 02:50   #2260
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

A new TiVo app -Worldbox- is coming soon to channel 834. It will allow the viewing of international channels and programming.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 04:58   #2261
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Cool....I hope my Indonesian wife will be able to watch channels from her country
Old 28-11-2014, 07:38   #2262
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
Just took 2mins 02s to load up Netflix to be useable, below is link to the video.

http://youtu.be/DlXYMPlcsrA

Never used to take that long, perhaps a minute or more though.

Will try capture a few more of the TiVo screens, but going into Home > On Demand or Search & Discover has been pretty slow of late.

Reboot fixes it for a day or so, but then back to a good 4 or 5 seconds usually between screens.

---------- Post added at 01:07 ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 ----------

TV On Demand, this was just after a re-boot

http://youtu.be/65JDicERO1w
This is exactly what I am experiencing on my TiVo since the update. Apart from the general slowdown it makes using Netflix a real pain. I'm considering cancelling - not because of the Netflix content, merely because of the difficulty of access.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 08:09   #2263
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society

Well something weird happened here.

I think when the TiVo update went through it may have been a bit messy resolution wise. The text was quite thin and the purple wasn't as "plum" as pictured. Yesterday I turned the TiVo on and it was as the preview pictures and the Font was much clearer.

I checked the resolution settings and indeed it was on 1080i (I hadn't changed it) so am I dreaming or did it really change on it's own?
Stop It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 10:02   #2264
warrenb
cf.addict

Services: VIP50 + 2 Virgin Mobiles + Mobile Broadband
warrenb is an unknown quantity at this point

Well with the price rise and the fact I could probably draw the menus on the screen faster than my Tivo, seriously considering dropping the TV for a Freeview box. Sorry virgin, but you have balked the Tivo box.

Last night it took over 30 seconds to start playing something in My Shows, I get the feeling it is checking everything against a server before doing anything.
warrenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 10:39   #2265
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
A new TiVo app -Worldbox- is coming soon to channel 834. It will allow the viewing of international channels and programming.
Wow that sounds very cool. Anymore info on this?
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote