Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | internet connection problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

internet connection problems

Old 10-09-2011, 19:25   #16
fudge
Inactive

fudge is on a distinguished roadfudge is on a distinguished road
Re: internet connection problems

as far as im aware he did nothing to my pc from his side.
when searching it does not pick up net work I have norton security how do i go over settings and what am i looking for
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2011, 19:31   #17
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

incompetent agent nothing surprising!. Every time I've called recently which is twice now.. hardly enough to prove this but read about.. support always ask to remotely connect.

anyway I have never used a VM Hub only a SuperHub, not sure whether the interfaces are the same. any who reset the hub to start off with...

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...ICLE_ID=322888

once done, try connecting via the laptop. the network name and password are at the back/bottom of the hub.

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MER_TYPE=Cable
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 19:49   #18
fudge
Inactive

i have tried still no joy , what is number of the tech department . when clicking on to connect to only my old wifi is listed , not the new one
Old 10-09-2011, 20:01   #19
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

i don't know if this will work for you I'm following SuperHub guide, it might be the it might not be.. hopefully someone else on here can advise too.

grab your sons laptop. download this and run it... http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/
once the programs started it'll list networks in your area, take note of the channels in use, don't worry if yours doesn't appear. the channel range your looking at is 1-13.. find which are in use and take note of those channel numbers note in use or vice versa whatever works for you.

login
advanced settings
left hand side > wireless settings
channel > set accordingly
802.11 mode > 145
Security Mode > WPA2

all of which above would I think been in use when using your belkins router if not even more enhanced.

also make sure the device/router/VM netgear isn't near anything it could conflict with such TV, radiators.. place it in a clear space but not too extreme by means of placing it in an empty room just away from things.

try connecting via wireless (laptop)
Old 10-09-2011, 20:14   #20
fudge
Inactive

My sons out at present so will do that tomorrow, one thing i get though is when i go to 192.168.0.1 it askes for a pass word . i have to put in admin then change me . ( The default setting ) when in i click on to wireless and i have changed the name there . Is the name there the name that should appear when i click connect to.
Also its the same name as i had before. Does that matter or should you just get two networks come up with same name.
Old 10-09-2011, 20:17   #21
thenry
Inactive

no whatever you change the network name to will show up when search for a wireless network.

did you say your system has wireless within it too? do what i said above on your system, if you have wireless capabilities on your system then try it.
Old 10-09-2011, 20:26   #22
fudge
Inactive

Thanks for your help thenry, will do that tomorrow .
Just one thing though i googled this problem and there are loads of people with this same problem.
Old 10-09-2011, 20:31   #23
thenry
Inactive

you have the vm hub mate, consider yourself lucky you haven't got the superduperpooperhub.
Old 11-09-2011, 14:08   #24
fudge
Inactive

Hi thenry the wife is worried i will mess things up more if i mess around in 192.168.0.1 she says see if the engineer can put it right as were paying for the service , i suppose shes right in a way . He is due to come tuesday eve. Thats if virgin dont cancelle him again for a 3rd time.
I have been looking at bt infinity . If i cant get this running on wifi i may try them as im disscusted in the way we have been treated by virgin.
It just seems strange that when i click on the connect to you get a list of all wifi connections around my area but my new set up is not listed . Only my old one which now has a red x through it.
I bet its just some settings that are wrong someware . Anyway will have to wait hopefully engineer will turn up tuesday and fix the problem.
Old 11-09-2011, 15:46   #25
thenry
Inactive

engineers, techs don't really like to touch customers computers mainly because they don't want to leave themselves open to something negative so give him permission to take control of your systems.

if your belkins router is no longer in use then delete its settings off your systems, there will be a list of your saved network settings delete them. i doubt it would cause to much of an issue. the fact your wireless adapter/chip isn't picking up the network raises questions which is why I told you to do the above. The instructions above are very straight forward, you cannot do anything to bust the VM device and if anything goes wrong all you need to do is get a paper clip and press the reset button on the back.

what operating systems are you running on the wireless devices (laptop, desktop)? XP, Vista, 7 ? and what are they as in manufacturer and model.
Old 11-09-2011, 16:56   #26
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

If your wireless settings don't match you need to delete those settings and connect again. Start, wireless, right click network name, delete.

The original hub was worse than the Superhub.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 18:16   #27
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
If your wireless settings don't match you need to delete those settings and connect again. Start, wireless, right click network name, delete.

The original hub was worse than the Superhub.
For me the basic hub was solid, it was the superhub that was a problem. Strange how so many get a completely different experience when trying to use these awful devices.

Anywho, just cropped up in another thread.

If your wireless adapter is an atheros you MUST install the very latest drivers to get it to work with a superhub, so presumedly a basic hub too.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 19:01   #28
fudge
Inactive

strange thing my son has just connected an i phone to the my net work , and comes up strong signal with the modems number on so i know its working . But as to why we cant conect with our lap tops then is a mystery.
When clicking on connect too , my connection comes up (i thought it was my old connection as i named it the same ) but it has a red x on it saying the settings on this computor do not match the net work settings.
I dont know what this means and how do i get rid of the settings then . That looks like it may be the problem as i say my son has connected an i phone ok.
Old 11-09-2011, 19:13   #29
thenry
Inactive

you've literally mixed up settings because you've named the new network on the VM hub the same as your own belkins router. delete the saved settings that were saved to connect to your belkins router and then try again. if you need help tell us what operating systems you want connecting, help with. laptop, desktop etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 19:16   #30
fudge
Inactive

How do i delete settings saved for my belkin router .
Or can i just change the name if i went into the net gear site