Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connect 2nd home pc to internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connect 2nd home pc to internet

Old 17-08-2007, 18:59   #31
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Re: Connect 2nd home pc to internet

K
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-08-2007, 19:30   #32
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The pc's are going to be station right next to each other. Daft as it might sound but I like to keep an eye on what the kids are doing.
There is nothing "daft" about that in any way whatsoever btw...
I have two desktops stationed side by side .....and a laptop too if needs be and i`m very very very conscious of what my girls are doing online.Although their all pretty clued up for their ages now.....i hope

Quote:
Ok just to put my in as mrsmac2006 has the computers next to each other and she wants to keep an eye on what the children are doing and have control when they have access to the internet why not share the connection with her computer being the master PC with two NICs (network interface card) and the children’s computer being the slave with one NIC then all you need is a crossover cable and hey presto both computers have access to the internet.

The master computer could have a password set so unless it has been started with the password the children have no access to the internet.

While this is a little harder to set-up than a router its quite easy to set-up
Pretty much what i do myself with 5 kids,4 machines and no proper router as such
My teenage son uses the separate stb connection on the pc upstair but he`s easy enough to monitor with ssh on the sly.
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 21:44   #33
mrsmac2006
Inactive

Services: Virgin Tv Cable & Phone
mrsmac2006 is on a distinguished roadmrsmac2006 is on a distinguished road

Hello up and running with it now just need help with the security if anyone available

Thank you so much for your help so far

As for the kids, I would never forgive myself if I didn't keep an eye on them and somthing happened.
mrsmac2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 21:56   #34
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

You don't need any security if you turn the wireless off.

If you've decided to switch it on, you should be using WPA with PSK (Pre-Shared Key), but how you set this up will depend on which router you bought.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 22:07   #35
mrsmac2006
Inactive

I can not find how to turn it off lol and also I put a password in using the wpa but i am not sure if you only have to put it in the once.
Because it has not installed anything on my pc I am not sure if the security is on.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

i am also trying to figure how to stop my email going to other pc
Old 17-08-2007, 22:45   #36
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac2006 View Post
I can not find how to turn it off lol and also I put a password in using the wpa but i am not sure if you only have to put it in the once.
Because it has not installed anything on my pc I am not sure if the security is on.
WPA is wireless-only security so as your PC is connected with a cable there is nothing to setup on your PCs. Job done!

Quote:
i am also trying to figure how to stop my email going to other pc
The e-mail program on the other PC must have an account setup with your e-mail details. You will have to delete this account from your e-mail program and, assuming you have setup separate VM e-mail accounts for your kids, add those accounts to your e-mail program. VM's website describes how to do these things here.
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 23:20   #37
Euromancer
Inactive

Euromancer is an unknown quantity at this point

If the two PC's are next to each other why can't you just buy another NIC card for like £10 and some cross-over patch cable, then connect that way? Would be ALOT cheaper than a router setup?

Granted a router is a better and neater solution but more £'s
Euromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 23:30   #38
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euromancer View Post
If the two PC's are next to each other why can't you just buy another NIC card for like £10 and some cross-over patch cable, then connect that way? Would be ALOT cheaper than a router setup?

Granted a router is a better and neater solution but more £'s
I'd hazard it's because not everybody thinks opening up their PC is an exciting way to spend a couple of hours.

In fact I think you'll find the vast majority of people have as much interest in opening up their PCs as they do servicing their own car.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 23:46   #39
xpod
Inactive

xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I'd hazard it's because not everybody thinks opening up their PC is an exciting way to spend a couple of hours.
I know i`ve been told a million times never to exaggerate

It takes minutes to stick a spare nic in in reality

Quote:
You get them a lot cheaper than that on Ebay etc
I got two perfectly good 3com 10/100Mb cards for about £3 all in including p+p

You could spend the £30(?) on the router for ease and simplicity but you could also spend £5(?) on a spare nic & patch cable for ........ease and simplicity

EDIT:Theres new Gigabit cards for £1.65 on Ebay just now
Old 18-08-2007, 00:09   #40
MrJDGaF
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media V.I.P
MrJDGaF will become famous soon enoughMrJDGaF will become famous soon enoughMrJDGaF will become famous soon enough

You will need to setup the wireless encryption as that Belkin router does not support disabling of the wireless connectivity. Have you opened the router setup page http://192.168.2.1 ? Click login and the default password is either "admin" or just press return.

Look for the blue bar with wireless in white on the left side of the screen then under that click security. Here you can select the security mode which should be WPA-PSK, encryption technique set to AES, now enter a string of 63 characters. Anything will do but for the strongest security use letters, numbers and characters such as :@~}{. Write it down as you entered it making sure upper/lower case characters are correct and store safely for possible future use. Now click apply changes.

On the left above security click channel and SSID and untick broadcast SSID, again apply changes. On the left click WAN ping blocking and tick the box then apply. Lastly at the bottom left click system settings and enter a password to replace the default, then set time zone and tick box for daylight savings. Click apply and you're done, though for extra protection you might want to use the free 6 month parental control subscription that you probably recieved. That is directly under the blue utilities bar.

Hope that helps, I'll look in tomorrow morning in case you've had any problems.
MrJDGaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 07:21   #41
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Thank you for you reply.

I will follow your instructions to the t when I get the router.

Been impatient I might just have to go to Pc World. lol

I will check price and then decide how impatient I am.
Thank you again
]

PCWorld.....shuddddddderrrr!

BTW -Welcome to CF!

---------- Post added at 07:21 ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7@m3 G33k View Post
And by the way: respect for keeping an eye on the kids while they're online. Whenever I hear some scare story about kids and the internet and parents saying: "It's an outrage, it shouldn't be allowed!" I can't help wondering where the parents were when their kid was illegally downloading music or talking to some dodgy stranger in a net chatroom.

...or YouTube
...Or CF!

How old are the kids MrsMac2006? Just trying to work out if they are old enough to be net aware...

How's it going with the router setup? All done??
Old 18-08-2007, 08:53   #42
mrsmac2006
Inactive

You will need to setup the wireless encryption as that Belkin router does not support disabling of the wireless connectivity. Have you opened the router setup page http://192.168.2.1 ? Click login and the default password is either "admin" or just press return.

Thank you for your help with that. You have made me feel a lot better.

As for age of kids, All I will say is they are all under 11 and sat next to me on their pc and I am watching every move they make lol.

Everything seems to be going fine.

What age do you class as net safe? I think mine will be leaving home before I stop watching ?
Mum from hell.

Once again a big big thankyou to everyone who has helped and posted on this thread.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx
Old 18-08-2007, 10:20   #43
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
The manual says the wireless status light can be in the off state, so the wireless can be switched off (somehow) if not required.

Quote:

As for age of kids, All I will say is they are all under 11 and sat next to me on their pc and I am watching every move they make lol.

Everything seems to be going fine.

What age do you class as net safe? I think mine will be leaving home before I stop watching ?
Mum from hell.
The net is not safe for anybody under the age of 150!

Seriously - just keep an eye on what they are doing - if you find they have accessed something inappropriate then it can be blocked by various means.

Always glad to help! And DON'T be afraid to ask questions - even if you think they are silly! We all had to learn somehow!

BTW - Not sure if anybody has mentioned it so far (just kinda skipped parts of this thread), but have you changed the default admin password on the router?
Old 18-08-2007, 10:43   #44
mrsmac2006
Inactive

When I set it up it asked me to put in a password then game me a HFX code could this be what you are on about.

I have looked on the page that I was directed to and it say that the security is enabled. Am i wrong in thinking that I am safe, could someone else do the same?
As i dont have to put my password in to access that page.

I tell you what though it is nice to be able to check an email as soon as it comes through rather than having the kids complaining at me.

Any thoughts??

I would like to have it as wireless if possible stops the worry but I have not come across how to turn it off.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

I found it ..... I found it i have change admin password

Now i just wanted to know what UPNP stands for
Advanced feature allows you to turn the upnp feature of the router on or off.
This isnt the wireless bit is it?
Old 18-08-2007, 10:49   #45
xpod
Inactive

Quote:
I tell you what though it is nice to be able to check an email as soon as it comes through rather than having the kids complaining at me.
Is`nt that the point of the two machines
Once your kids have a machine all to themselves though you will only find yourself under even more pressure to get off your own machine...

When one is on the PC they all want on a pc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upnp

EDIT:sorry,i thought you were asking how to check an email asap there......doh!!
I got a baby on my knee distracting my attention....thats my excuse anyway