Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connect 2nd home pc to internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connect 2nd home pc to internet

Old 16-08-2007, 14:21   #16
mrsmac2006
Inactive

Services: Virgin Tv Cable & Phone
mrsmac2006 is on a distinguished roadmrsmac2006 is on a distinguished road
Re: Connect 2nd home pc to internet

http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/p...ification#spec

Not sure how to do it

---------- Post added at 13:13 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Oh how good am I lol

---------- Post added at 14:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

any of my friends out there who can let me know if this would be any good?

mrsmac2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-08-2007, 14:25   #17
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

It's Belkin but other than that it should be ok.

I've no experience of actually owning Belkin routers, merely experience replacing them for others, so I can't sey whether or not you can switch the wireless on/off. I would imagine that you can, but please don't quote me on that.

As I said, only really have experience owning Linksys routers, so know those like the back of my hand - anything other than than that and it's all guesswork
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 14:30   #18
mrsmac2006
Inactive

Thanx for your advice.

I had to talk dh into buying 2nd pc so dont want to be spending to much more getting it plugged in lol.

Thank you for your help
Old 16-08-2007, 15:14   #19
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

No prob's.

Give us a shout back when you're up and running and we can help you get it configured/secured

---------- Post added at 15:14 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

BTW: I don't get the dh bit.....
Old 16-08-2007, 15:16   #20
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
BTW: I don't get the dh bit.....
darling husband - an abbreviation much beloved of members of mumsnet.com (Mrs T's favourite forum), hence my question which MrsMac hasn't answered yet.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 15:16   #21
mrsmac2006
Inactive

dear husband
lol

C u learn somthing new everyday
Old 16-08-2007, 15:17   #22
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Ooh, there she is!

I could've sworn it was darling ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 15:20   #23
mrsmac2006
Inactive

sorry dear yes I do like to have a chat on the forums I am expecting our 5th child so that is were you can find me after I have done all the house work and got the kids all sorted.

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:19 ----------

choose which ever you wish hun.
Old 16-08-2007, 15:22   #24
Raistlin
Inactive

Ah right
Old 16-08-2007, 19:58   #25
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmac2006 View Post
sorry dear yes I do like to have a chat on the forums I am expecting our 5th child so that is were you can find me after I have done all the house work and got the kids all sorted
Blimey! I'll stick to PC troubleshooting and internet security - a lot less pain and hard work than your profession!

And by the way: respect for keeping an eye on the kids while they're online. Whenever I hear some scare story about kids and the internet and parents saying: "It's an outrage, it shouldn't be allowed!" I can't help wondering where the parents were when their kid was illegally downloading music or talking to some dodgy stranger in a net chatroom.
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 21:02   #26
goldoni
Inactive

goldoni has reached the bronze age
goldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze age

Ok just to put my in as mrsmac2006 has the computers next to each other and she wants to keep an eye on what the children are doing and have control when they have access to the internet why not share the connection with her computer being the master PC with two NICs (network interface card) and the children’s computer being the slave with one NIC then all you need is a crossover cable and hey presto both computers have access to the internet.

The master computer could have a password set so unless it has been started with the password the children have no access to the internet.

While this is a little harder to set-up than a router its quite easy to set-up
goldoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2007, 21:56   #27
xpod
Inactive

Services: TV,Phone & BB
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal
xpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appealxpod has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I have bought a secound pc as I am fed up with the kids wanting to be on the internet all the time while I need to be on.
I know exactly how you feel.....and then some
When one decides they want on a pc they all want on the bloody pc`s.

Quote:
And by the way: respect for keeping an eye on the kids while they're online. Whenever I hear some scare story about kids and the internet and parents saying: "It's an outrage, it shouldn't be allowed!" I can't help wondering where the parents were when their kid was illegally downloading music or talking to some dodgy stranger in a net chatroom.
The only reason i even sat down at a pc last year was my kids online saftey and our computer/s well being & security.The last time for me was the commodore64 i had as a kid some 20 odd years ago.
17 months later,well i have a unpaid job on the side for my troubles and i know more than my kids do.....for now.

Quote:
sorry dear yes I do like to have a chat on the forums I am expecting our 5th child so that is were you can find me after I have done all the house work and got the kids all sorted.
4 daughters and one poor son here....
We will get through it together i have promised him
xpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2007, 18:56   #28
mrsmac2006
Inactive

Hello there me again if after a quick responce before shop shuts if anyone is around.

The ntl modem has an ethernet cable with it so do i need another 2 cables to complete my task?

If 2 i am assuming that like you say one will be in the box so i will require one cable.
Old 17-08-2007, 18:58   #29
Raistlin
Inactive

You need:

One from Modem to Router
One from Router to PC1
One from Router to PC2

So, yes. You need three cables total, minus the one that you have leaves 2. Check when you buy the router that there is a cable with it. Make sure that you don't buy crossover cables, you need straight through ones.

Have fun
Old 17-08-2007, 18:59   #30
mrsmac2006
Inactive

Thanx hun, ill let you know how i am doing.