Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PC world muppets!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PC world muppets!

Old 09-05-2007, 19:58   #16
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future
Re: PC world muppets!

I was in a PCW in North Wales last week and was looking for a router and needed one quickly as my cousins had blown up. Newho... I got to the routers and could see that they had run out of ADSL (which I needed) but funnily enough they had a pile of Cable/DSL.

The enevitable happens and the 'dude' comes over to offer me some 'advice'. When he had finished trying to convince me that Cable/DSL and ADSL were interchangable (and I had stopped laughing) I left.

But what is really silly is that they are selling Cable/DSL routers in an area where the nearest cable network is around 100/150 miles away!!
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2007, 20:00   #17
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernetic_tiger View Post
I was in a PCW in North Wales last week and was looking for a router and needed one quickly as my cousins had blown up. Newho... I got to the routers and could see that they had run out of ADSL (which I needed) but funnily enough they had a pile of Cable/DSL.

The enevitable happens and the 'dude' comes over to offer me some 'advice'. When he had finished trying to convince me that Cable/DSL and ADSL were interchangable (and I had stopped laughing) I left.

But what is really silly is that they are selling Cable/DSL routers in an area where the nearest cable network is around 100/150 miles away!!
LOL, yeah. You're ok as long as you know exactly what you want and don't need their, ahem, advice. Just make sure that if you 'out-tech' the sales staff that they don't offer you a job! lol
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 20:16   #18
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybernetic_tiger View Post

technically the cable/dsl routers can be used with ADSL if you have a seperate modem with an ethernet port..

Not that the person in PCworld would have known that, he probably saw the /DSL and assumed it was also a DSL router.

Isn't pcworld training based on how many people you can get though the till? and isn't the right product for the customer the most expensive one you can convince them to buy?
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 20:34   #19
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

hehehe thats a nice 1

what I hear quite often now is people buying from PC World or Curry's bluetooth adapter to work with their wlan routers :O

got a good chuckle at that all the time when I have some1 on the phone with that and trying to explain that Bluetooth and wlan are totally different from eachother and then the cust argues with me that we sold them the wrong product :O
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 20:55   #20
Delta Whiskey
Inactive

Services: 10Mb BB, DTV & Phone
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny star
Delta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny starDelta Whiskey has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
I can't believe some of their prices !
The fact that I see a 2 metre ethernet cable for £14.99 is just a complete rip off.
I pay £1.16 for the same thing. !
Same price as their kettle type cable, must be solid gold not copper.
Delta Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 21:02   #21
Mic-Roch
Inactive

Mic-Roch is an unknown quantity at this point

I never thought this topic would be so popular. LOL

OK, I did go back to PCW, got things sorted which Ill post and tell you the story shortly.

I got the router I wanted, now Ive got it setup, and I can access the wireless network from my laptop. I can also access the internet here at my main PC.

Im just hoping one of you guys wouldnt mind telling me how to put a password on the Wireless connection, without messing up the network.
Everytmie I add a password under the security tab, I cant access the network from my laptop.

By the way, you'll be pleased to know there were 2 very people left in PCW feeling very small. LOL.
Mic-Roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 21:09   #22
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

This thread has some useful info for securing your network:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/94...s-network.html

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 21:12   #23
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

Mic, 1st and main thing you HAVE to do when securing the network is connect via ethernet otherwise you will lose the signal and dont know what security has been applied.

my preference goes to WPA-PSK with TKIP if your hardware supports it (which is should)
Old 09-05-2007, 21:17   #24
Mic-Roch
Inactive

Mic-Roch is an unknown quantity at this point

SWEET!

Thanks very much.

Okee Dokey, Im off for me tea and then Ill tell you all the tale, just coz I know your all so eager... LOL...

In a bit peeps.

PS.

Cheers Doc, I had tried those but for some reason the laptop couldnt connect, guess the woreless card isnt that upto date to be able to use the newer security encryptions.
But Ive ended up adding WEP, then Ive added the Laptops IP and MAC to the network accepted list, now that runs fine, and Ive removed the broadcasting of the SSID because it is no longer needed.

Thanks for the help guys. I will post the PCW story shortly.
Mic-Roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 21:19   #25
DocDutch
argh

all lets hide cuz he'll be back shortly

just kidding mate no problems for helping and I think with most questions here 99% of the people would be able to help ya out
Old 09-05-2007, 21:28   #26
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Err hang on... shouldn't it be down to the purchaser to check the specs of a purchase before deciding whether or not it's suitable?

We all know a few PC World staff can talk sh*t but it's a bit muppety to buy a router for ADSL knowing you don't have it.

---------- Post added at 21:28 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Yeah I do agree that they can be a right bunch of muppets sometimes. In my local PC World, all of the Routers/Firewalls/Gateways are sorted into ADSL/Non-ADSL and badged obviously

They are here, too.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 21:32   #27
cybernetic_tiger
Inactive

cybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant futurecybernetic_tiger has a brilliant future

I think however someone who is supposidly trained to help the customer to make the correct decission should be knowledgable enough to point the novice in the correct direction... IMO
cybernetic_tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 22:13   #28
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic-Roch View Post
What a shame... Has anyone else had such a complete shambles curtesy of the professionals????
Friend of mine went to PC World not so long back and asked a rep for a router to be used with VM cable broadband.

He was sold a switch by Belkin.
Old 09-05-2007, 22:17   #29
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
Friend of mine went to PC World not so long back and asked a rep for a router to be used with VM cable broadband.

He was sold a switch by Belkin.
Not sure what renders it more useless.... the fact it was a switch or that it was made by Belkin
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 22:24   #30
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Not sure what renders it more useless.... the fact it was a switch or that it was made by Belkin
Belkin switches aren't to bad.

Can't say the same for the routers tho.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote