Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Old 21-04-2007, 17:35   #31
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age
Re: Is it wrong to hijack your neighbours router?

Read this
Sorry, I could not make a link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

Read this
Sorry, I could not make a link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4721723.stm
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-04-2007, 18:57   #32
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Jackson View Post
Quite often if I am downloading a lot of my stuff and maxing out my bandwidth on my PC, then I'll jump on my laptop and connect to my neighbours unprotected wireless router for a bit of web browsing.

Am I simply despicable and should hang my head in shame(with possible self-flogging) or am I just being a little bit sneaky and should actually pat myself on the back for showing great initiative?

I've been wrestling with this moral dilemma for quite some time. After all, the neighbour is a nice lady and probably deserves better, although her son clearly knows nothing about router security.
You don't live next door to me I hope?
Old 21-04-2007, 22:24   #33
CycoSymz
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview HD
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Quite often if I am downloading a lot of my stuff and maxing out my bandwidth on my PC, then I'll jump on my laptop and connect to my neighbours unprotected wireless router for a bit of web browsing.

Am I simply despicable and should hang my head in shame(with possible self-flogging) or am I just being a little bit sneaky and should actually pat myself on the back for showing great initiative?

I've been wrestling with this moral dilemma for quite some time. After all, the neighbour is a nice lady and probably deserves better, although her son clearly knows nothing about router security.
You're stealing bandwidth that someone else is paying for, which is wrong and is still stealing.
Just because someone doesn't have enough security on their connection, doesn't mean you can help your self to their bandwidth.
If someone forgets to lock their front door it doesn't mean you can go in their house and take what you like.
You should be ashamed of yourself and inform your neighbour of their security problem.

I've got 2 GCSE's. 1 in Biology and 1 in Metalwork...If you want your cat welding then I'm your man.
CycoSymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 23:15   #34
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flange View Post
...If someone forgets to lock their front door it doesn't mean you can go in their house and take what you like....
That would involve trespass. In this case, the wireless signal is being broadcast outside the boundaries of the property.

If my neighbours apple tree has branches that overhang my garden, are the apples that fall to my side "forbidden fruit"?
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 23:48   #35
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
That would involve trespass. In this case, the wireless signal is being broadcast outside the boundaries of the property.

If my neighbours apple tree has branches that overhang my garden, are the apples that fall to my side "forbidden fruit"?
It has already been pointed out in this thread that to use someone else's wireless connection without permission IS a criminal offence.
Old 21-04-2007, 23:55   #36
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
It has already been pointed out in this thread that to use someone else's wireless connection without permission IS a criminal offence.
But only if you get caught
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 00:23   #37
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yes, but where is the logic behind this law?

If my neighbour's incessant talking provides carbon dioxide for my tomatoes, am I guilty of theft?
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 00:31   #38
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHorb View Post
Probably a good idea to hide - 'not broadcast' - your SSID too.
No, I disagree. Hiding your SSID has few benefits to outweigh the disadvantages of not being able to "see" the network when you need to.

A good network with WPA and MAC filtering, and a changed SSID and username/password on the router, should be fine without needing to hide SSID.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 00:38   #39
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
But only if you get caught
Then admitting to it in a public forum is perhaps NOT a good idea.
Old 22-04-2007, 00:43   #40
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Yes, but where is the logic behind this law?

If my neighbour's incessant talking provides carbon dioxide for my tomatoes, am I guilty of theft?
LOL that did make me chuckle.

But what really REALLY gets me about most peoples unsecured networks is people on ADSL will LOGIN to the router to provide their ISP info which means they just used the DEAFULT password to get in there they never bother to venture as far to look at the security settings?

Even people who don't need to provide a login and their router just works surely should think it a bit strange that their computer just connects wirelessly without asking for any kind of authentication.

How anyone can leave a router unsecured without noticing is beyond me its pretty obvious perticually as windows xp sp2 even gives you a warning that the network you connecting to is unsecured when you hit connect are people really that stupid ?

---------- Post added at 00:43 ---------- Previous post was at 00:40 ----------

Quote:
Then admitting to it in a public forum is perhaps NOT a good idea.
I doubt that they are going to bother tracking my IP down to my location then get a court order from my ISP to get my address details just so they can caution me for using an unencypted wi-fi connection

Its a signal on a public frequency receivable with equipment i'm legally entitled to have its transmitted in the plain so as far as i'm concerned its fair game.

Besides all they could go on is that i said i did it they've got no proof beyond that.
Old 23-04-2007, 12:13   #41
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
I doubt that they are going to bother tracking my IP down to my location then get a court order from my ISP to get my address details just so they can caution me for using an unencypted wi-fi connection
Won't that IP address be allocated from the wieless router that you connected to in the first instance?
Old 23-04-2007, 18:38   #42
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury View Post
Won't that IP address be allocated from the wieless router that you connected to in the first instance?
No i'm using my own connection
Old 24-04-2007, 21:07   #43
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:

Criminal damage to other peoples cars and nothing more then petty theft of other peoples bandwidth...

and now your worried about "moral dilemmas"... sounds like you have no morals to have a dilemma over... so just carry on as normal (as im sure you will)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flange View Post
You're stealing bandwidth that someone else is paying for, which is wrong and is still stealing.
Just because someone doesn't have enough security on their connection, doesn't mean you can help your self to their bandwidth.
If someone forgets to lock their front door it doesn't mean you can go in their house and take what you like.
You should be ashamed of yourself and inform your neighbour of their security problem.
well said.
Old 25-04-2007, 12:29   #44
Action Jackson
Permanently Banned

Action Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to allAction Jackson is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
Criminal damage to other peoples cars and nothing more then petty theft of other peoples bandwidth...

and now your worried about "moral dilemmas"... sounds like you have no morals to have a dilemma over... so just carry on as normal (as im sure you will)
Fair enough. In light of your morality attack I've decided that I will not use my neighbours router so often.

I will only use it when wanting to look at or download stuff that I could get in trouble with the law for.
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2007, 12:38   #45
zing_deleted

Quote:
Fair enough. In light of your morality attack I've decided that I will not use my neighbours router so often.

I will only use it when wanting to look at or download stuff that I could get in trouble with the law for.
you really are a funny man you are