Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connected.. but not working!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connected.. but not working!

Old 09-12-2006, 01:00   #46
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Re: Connected.. but not working!

Do you know what motherboard is in the machine?

If not I will need bios string information or chipset information from you

Chances are it's either a VIA motherboard or an NVidia NForce series, my advice to you will hinge on which

if it's NVidia then you need to go to the NVIdia website and download the Chipset drivers, pop them on CD or equivalent and install them on the PC, if it's VIA then you need to google for and download the hyperion 4 in 1 drivers and install those on the PC

Failing which, how close are you to the Oldham area? lol
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2006, 09:48   #47
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Easiest way to find that out would be to install http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
and find the listing for the motherboard
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 20:48   #48
benukb
Inactive

benukb is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I opened my pc and the socket is right next to/attached to two USB sockets that are faulty. I decided to go into Maplin on my break at work and I bought a NIC/Ethernet Card, it seems to work fine now!

All I have to do now is secure my the wireless side of the network, how can I do this?

---------- Post added at 20:48 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

I'm sorry, thanks for your advice guys I really did try everything, the NIC card was £7.99 so I guess it was worth it really
benukb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 20:50   #49
Paul K
Inactive

Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Cool, looks like something was wrong with the hardware. Securing the wireless is just a case of using a WEP key. If you have one of those set already then you are secure enough for most things
Old 09-12-2006, 23:18   #50
benukb
Inactive

benukb is an unknown quantity at this point

I secured it at WPA level, it's working great now.. although the laptop say low signal downstairs it seems to be working fine
benukb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:13   #51
bopdude
Inactive

bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
bopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny starsbopdude has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to bopdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by benukb View Post
I secured it at WPA level, it's working great now.. although the laptop say low signal downstairs it seems to be working fine

I get low level readings on my wireless desktop and laptop, all works ok for me, including gaming and surfing at the samr time, in fact, gaming on both pc's ( 2 of ) and the laptop, at the same time
bopdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:08   #52
Paul K
Inactive

If the router is right next to the PC it could be interference from the PC/ monitor etc. We moved ours up onto a small cupboard away from the PCs and now we get full strength.