Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router set up help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router set up help

Old 28-07-2005, 23:39   #1
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Router set up help

Right im online with the BT Voyager 2100 ADSL Wireless router. I have managed to het online, and i also followed the instructions acording to the manual. But i dont think i have set it up properly. Ive set Windows to obtain an IP Address and DNS Server address automatically, but i still dont think im safe.
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2005, 23:43   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Router set up help

You say you followed the instructions, & you've managed to get online.

So why do you think you haven't set it up properly?

And you "don't think you're safe"?

FAQ for the router: http://www.voyager.bt.com/faqs/wirel...xp/2100faq.htm

Article about securing a wireless network: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=12
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 23:58   #3
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Its asking for hexadecimal digits, could i be shown an example?
Old 29-07-2005, 00:44   #4
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

In the router there should be an option to generate a WEP key.

Usually you put in a pass phrase and the router will then give you a choice of keys (these are the hexidecimal keys).

Simply choose one of these, tell the router which to use, tell your wireless card which one you're using, and then tell it which one of the keys this relates to on your router (the keys are normally numbered - if you pick key 1 from the routers choices you need to tell your wireless connection on the PC that you are using key index #1).
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 10:09   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Alternatively, choose WPA security rather than WEP. It's better security and you don't have to muck about with Hex keys, you just set a password. Presuming the router can handle WPA of course ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 13:51   #6
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T
Alternatively, choose WPA security rather than WEP. It's better security and you don't have to muck about with Hex keys, you just set a password. Presuming the router can handle WPA of course ...
Sorry for the rather late response, it lost all the setting when i booted up this morning. Ill try WPA. Ok heres the page i have.

EDIT: ok i have tested my security with the diagnostics tools and here are the results. (2nd screenshot)
Old 29-07-2005, 23:46   #7
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

UPDATE: This is what i have enabled:

Hide Wireless Network (Hide SSID)
Encryption: (WPA SPK)
DHCP Server: ON
UPnP: ON
IP Filtering: Enabled
DNS Server: Enable Automatic Assigned DNS (ticked)

Is that it or should i take extra steps? I have ZA on the highest setting (Stealth Mode)

The only thing i cannot seem to achieve is putting the routers MAC Address into the MAC Filter. The router just freezes and i have to do a factory reset. I have Googled for answers, but cant find anything.
Old 30-07-2005, 14:54   #8
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Anyone???
Old 30-07-2005, 15:02   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A

Is that it or should i take extra steps? I have ZA on the highest setting (Stealth Mode)

The only thing i cannot seem to achieve is putting the routers MAC Address into the MAC Filter. The router just freezes and i have to do a factory reset. I have Googled for answers, but cant find anything.
The MAC filter is for putting other MACs in not its own one (IE wifi, print servers)
Old 30-07-2005, 15:04   #10
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.ewles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A

The MAC filter is for putting other MACs in not its own one (IE wifi, print servers)
Ahh right ok, so im safe then from the setup, that i have?
Old 30-07-2005, 17:39   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

You're unlikely to need UPnP
Old 30-07-2005, 18:05   #12
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
You're unlikely to need UPnP
Oh.... why's that then?
Old 30-07-2005, 18:26   #13
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Well, OK, it depends on what you use.

It's only worth having UPnP enabled on the router *if* it is also enabled in Windows (requires 2 Services to be enabled & running: "Universal Plug 'N' Play Device Host" & "SSDP Discovery Service") *and* you have other software/hardware which makes use of it.

UPnP wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPNP

ADSLGuide review of the Voyager 2100 (lots of set up info, by the way): http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...oyager2100.asp

And from the ADSLGuide review of the earlier 2000:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...q3/bt-2000.asp

Quote:
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP)

The Voyager 2000 supports UPnP which is enabled by default. UPnP is a standard that allows software running on a computer to open/close ports in a NAT router. This functionality is used by software like MSN Messenger that requires a wide range of random ports which makes the use of standard port forwarding impossible. MSN Messenger will run on any NAT based router with functionality limited to text chat, but UPnP makes it possible to hold video and voice conferences. Using UPnP is a two stage process. You must install it as an option in Windows XP as it is not installed by default.
So if you want to do more than just text chatting on MSN, then it can be useful.

I just leave it turned off in XP & on my router.
Old 30-07-2005, 19:48   #14
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Just for info, cause I see a lot of people talking about SSID hiding, here's a great article on why hiding your SSID is pointless and can actually cause degradation of signal strength...

https://www.icsalabs.com/icsa/docs/h...sid_hiding.pdf
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2005, 12:25   #15
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Ok, heres another prob for you, when i booted up this morning the router forgets to automatically connect to my network and i have to reconfigure it to get on the Internet, how else can i make it remember the settings so that when i boot up, i can just go straight on the Internet?