Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 Superhub Location Ethernet or Wifi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

V6 Superhub Location Ethernet or Wifi

Old 08-12-2016, 00:16   #16
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: V6 Superhub Location Ethernet or Wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
I get the impression that Virgin Media are being overcautious about the Internet connection of V6.
Mine has worked perfectly well on both wifi and powerline. I've never connected it directly with Ethernet cable - it's just not convenient.
Totally agree, my WiFi has been fine too. I have had the odd problem with the V6, but not with the WiFi aspect of it.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2016, 14:25   #17
essjay
cf.addict

essjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond reputeessjay has a reputation beyond repute

My V6 is in the conservatory, superhub in the living room (modem only mode). V6 connects to my netgear router (10mtrs away) via wireless with problem whatsoever.
essjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 15:38   #18
Daz555
Inactive

Daz555 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbu View Post
Hi Guys,

I have 2 x V6's on order (64.95) and have been told that my superhub must be located next to the main V6. I currently have an Ethernet cable running from my hub to my tivo, I asked the question can I stick with this setup and I have been told no, they will have to move the superhub when they install the V6's

This is going to cause me some issues etc, does anyone have a definitive answer on this as there seems to be some confusion out there.
Sounds like nonsense to me. Plenty of people (me included) use the superhub in modem only mode anyway, so its location relative to the V6 box is irrelevant.

Mine is being installed next month and I will not be accepting any changes to my home network - because it works. V6 needs to plug into a wall ethernet port near my TV which in turn connects it to my own router elsewhere in the house. I'm sure the engineer will be fine with that - if not then the V6 can just go back in the box and I will talk to Sky.
Daz555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 19:21   #19
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

You don't have to have it connected by ethernet
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 19:27   #20
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
You don't have to have it connected by ethernet
Ok so WiFi is fine then? That's what I was asking in the other thread, basically how strong a signal will the V6 need to have it working properly?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 19:39   #21
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Ok so WiFi is fine then? That's what I was asking in the other thread, basically how strong a signal will the V6 need to have it working properly?
Im not sure how to measure without a wifi app, if wifi is not good enough virgin will install homeplugs

Last edited by jb66; 19-12-2016 at 19:48.
Old 19-12-2016, 20:10   #22
sollp
cf.mega poster

Services: Virginmobile,Sky TV, ZEN 76Mb,ZEN Phone line.
sollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful onesollp is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz555 View Post
Sounds like nonsense to me. Plenty of people (me included) use the superhub in modem only mode anyway, so its location relative to the V6 box is irrelevant.

Mine is being installed next month and I will not be accepting any changes to my home network - because it works. V6 needs to plug into a wall ethernet port near my TV which in turn connects it to my own router elsewhere in the house. I'm sure the engineer will be fine with that - if not then the V6 can just go back in the box and I will talk to Sky.
Sounds like customer service taking it literally,"Has to be next to it at all cost" ethernet/WIFI is fine as long as it's connected to one ot the other.
Old 20-12-2016, 16:11   #23
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
There is alot of panic here, not sure why,

1st option = Wired
2nd option Wifi
Worst case scenario = Homeplugs
Without being too technical, why are Homeplugs a worse scenario than Wifi please? I assumed they would be a better, more stable option.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 16:21   #24
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
Without being too technical, why are Homeplugs a worse scenario than Wifi please? I assumed they would be a better, more stable option.
I imagine they cost Virgin money to install so WiFi would be preferred
Old 20-12-2016, 16:26   #25
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
I imagine they cost Virgin money to install so WiFi would be preferred
Ah, I see. So you mean worse from VM's point of view, rather than a connection speed point of view?
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 16:34   #26
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

I suppose the order is also that it may cost the customer extra to do Powerline (if they don't already have it), so the order is based on attempting the 'easy' options first.
Old 20-12-2016, 16:39   #27
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Most people will only need WiFi good enough to deliver HD those having 4K TV's in other rooms and wanting to use the likes of YouTube and Netflix in 4K will require a reliable WiFi connection. I'd imagine at the moment there isn't to many of those though.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 16:59   #28
jb66
cf.mega poster

The sh2ac has been flawless for me streaming 4k
Old 20-12-2016, 17:25   #29
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The sh2ac has been flawless for me streaming 4k
Absolutely I'm not doubting that however WiFi can be more problematic in larger homes especially older ones with thick walls to penetrate through there's also the rise of three storey homes.

I stream Netflix and Amazon in 4K onto a second UHD TV in a room some distance from my Sky Q hub but reading forums some have issues with HD on mini boxes clearly there are many things that can impact wireless performance.

Last edited by muppetman11; 20-12-2016 at 17:30.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 20:25   #30
MacmillaN
cf.addict

Services: TIVO 500GB-V+ HD, TV Size XL +SKYSPORTS/MOVIES VIVID Phone Size M
MacmillaN is an unknown quantity at this point

I am thinking about moving onto the VIP Package.
Which basically now includes everything i already have minus the HD SPORTS/MOVIES.
as well as Replacing a OLDER TIVO & V+ with 2 V6 Boxes.

I already have 200meg Broadband, but was wondering if by signing up to the VIP Package, would Virgin want me to swap my 2ac for a Hub 3?

Basically the VIP Package would work-out slightly cheaper compared to the way my current services is bundled as standalone add-ons.
MacmillaN is offline   Reply With Quote