Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How to stop WIFI access to/from selected laptops/PCs?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How to stop WIFI access to/from selected laptops/PCs?

Old 01-06-2014, 21:13   #16
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: How to stop WIFI access to/from selected laptops/PCs?

Some router have access restrictions that can be set, for parents to restrict child access.

If you have a smart phone there is a good little app called Fing which tells you what is being connected to router, and will help you ID your kids MACs.
Old 01-06-2014, 21:25   #17
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Fing is great. Interesting to see what hardware is connected to some public hotspots too, including places like hospitals...

Back to the original subject, does rebooting the Superhub really make it lose all it's settings or are we talking about a factory reset which is a bit more involved? Factory resets I know would wipe everything and can be done with most routers but it's not something many know how to do. Maybe we are over-thinking the situation.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 22:12   #18
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Rebooting doesn't erase anything.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------

Sorry but if you kids cannot respect your rules about using the web, then take away their kit for a number days.

My sister did when my niece broke the rules.
Old 01-06-2014, 22:15   #19
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Sorry but if you kids cannot respect your rules about using the web, then take away their kit for a number days.

My sister did when my niece broke the rules.
We're not allowed to give parenting advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
The OP posted this in Networking which clearly indicates technical information is required. Had they wanted parenting advice it would have been in the Lifestyle section.
Old 01-06-2014, 22:35   #20
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

well the technical information is that if your children are whix kids then there isn't anything you can do which they aren't going to overcome in 5 minutes if they really want to.

Sooooo, yes it does come down to parenting advice and how the problem can be approached from a different angle.

Something to think about though. Rather than exacerbating the issue why not try and let it run it's course. Teenagers have fads and go through fazes and atm they'll think it is a cool thing to do because everyone else is doing it and it isnt something they have done before. As with everything though, there will come a time when it isn't a novelty anymore and it will seem normal and they'll revert back to using it as and when they need to. An anaolgy is facebook. When I first joined back in 2009 everyone I knew was going nuts about trying to add the universe to their friends list and there were two people I knew who had over 2000 people on their friends list and everyone else I knew was in the hundreds. I didn't get it at the time and I stuck to my measely 52 friends Something seemed to click in 2012 and people started to see sense and started pruning their friends lists and only having proper friends who they wanted to talk to on it. The moral of the story is that the 50 million people on your friends list went out of fashion (although it did take 3 years)
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 22:53   #21
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan View Post
We're not allowed to give parenting advice.
True, but taking away kit solves the problem.
Old 01-06-2014, 23:08   #22
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
True, but taking away kit solves the problem.
I know and I agree. I've already said my bit.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:18   #23
resander
Inactive

Services: BB:100Mb TV:XL+SkySports&ESPN Phone:M
resander is an unknown quantity at this point

Would like to try idi banashapan's suggestion plugging in a second router into an ethernet port of the Superhub 2 router and use that for the children's wifi only and the Superhub for the other home devices.

Have been with Virgin since 2008 and used the hub installed by the virgin technician, so I have no knowledge about other more advanced use of the the hub.

Q7. in idi banashapan's reply post #14 one sentence reads:
"set the gateway of the the additional router to be the Superhub."
How do I do this?

Q8. after having set the gateway for the second router to the Superhub, how do I set parameters for it?
(for the superhub I would type 192.168.0.1 from Firefox/Chrome address line for this).

Q9. have no second router at the moment - any recommendations what to buy for this usage?
resander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:55   #24
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by resander View Post
Would like to try idi banashapan's suggestion plugging in a second router into an ethernet port of the Superhub 2 router and use that for the children's wifi only and the Superhub for the other home devices.
I don't want to sound like a misery, and I'm probably missing something, but in this scenario what's to stop the kids from resetting the Superhub and connecting to its wireless?
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 13:54   #25
resander
Inactive

Services: BB:100Mb TV:XL+SkySports&ESPN Phone:M
resander is an unknown quantity at this point

Pauls9 wrote:
"I don't want to sound like a misery, and I'm probably missing something, but in this scenario what's to stop the kids from resetting the Superhub and connecting to its wireless?"

Nothing. As far as I understand any blocking at the Superhub router level can be undone by a router reset and software parent controls can always be easily undone by software uninstall or OS reinstall.

Router-level blocking + physical protection of the router by lock and key would probably work, for example by putting router in locked room/cage. Any other way of physical protection of resets (but not squirting superglue into pin-reset hole!)?

I like idi banashapan's suggestion because it does not rely on setting IP or MAC addresses as far as I understand.
resander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 14:23   #26
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by resander View Post

Have been with Virgin since 2008 and used the hub installed by the virgin technician, so I have no knowledge about other more advanced use of the the hub.

Q7. in idi banashapan's reply post #14 one sentence reads:
"set the gateway of the the additional router to be the Superhub."
How do I do this?

Q8. after having set the gateway for the second router to the Superhub, how do I set parameters for it?
(for the superhub I would type 192.168.0.1 from Firefox/Chrome address line for this).

Q9. have no second router at the moment - any recommendations what to buy for this usage?
You don't need to do any special settings with regards to the default gateway. All you need to do is use the second router as a wireless access point and you can configure the ssid and password etc on it like you did with the shub. The shub will hand out the ip addresses for the devices via dhcp and all the devices will use the shub as the default gateway.
As it is for your children you might not want to spend oodles on another router and might consider getting one second hand off ebay but as a nice all around I would suggest this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-EA27...linksys+ea2700
Old 02-06-2014, 20:02   #27
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
I suspect you put the superhub in modem mode (which disables the wireless on it among other things) and then plug the additional router in to one of it's ethernet ports. Then everyone connects to the wireless on that router. So the Coax still only goes in to the superhub.
He's already concerned about the kids' ability to reset the Superhub and bypass any restrictions set on it. The idea of another router and/or modem mode does nothing to get around this. It is no better than the Superhub itself.

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiefrost View Post
Still doesn't get around the problem that a simple reset of the super hub and or router will set everything back to default.
This.

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 20:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
well the technical information is that if your children are whix kids then there isn't anything you can do which they aren't going to overcome in 5 minutes if they really want to.

Sooooo, yes it does come down to parenting advice and how the problem can be approached from a different angle.
Also, this.

There is simply no technical solution that is possible on VM that cannot be defeated by a single push of the Superhub's reset button. If VM allowed you to replace the modem itself, then perhaps there might be.

The only solution is
a) Remove the Superhub
b) Deal with the problem non-technically.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 20:20   #28
idi banashapan
step on my trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
The only solution is
a) Remove the Superhub
b) Deal with the problem non-technically.
agreed

also, what has been said regarding the shub and the reset even when using my option is absolutely correct. there is no real fool-proof software based solution to the issue at hand. it really does boil down to the 2 points above. the second one getting my vote.
Old 02-06-2014, 21:00   #29
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack

Children AGED 17 AND 18 ? Kids aged 17 and 18 ? Am i missing the point here ? you can join the army/navy aged 16 .... Do we have children and kids in the army/navy ?

the issue here is not passwords or routers

Sounds like you need to earn some respect from your CHILDREN and there you have it....problem solved
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 22:53   #30
General Maximus
Ran Away