Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ethernet Cards

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ethernet Cards

Old 31-03-2014, 14:07   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Ethernet Cards

I was just wondering now having built a computer for my son and his boyfriend is there one type of ethernet card and chipset thats better than another?

The motherboard thats in my PC is this one...
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/990FXA.../?div=Overview

It uses a Realtek PCI-E GbLAN controller 8111E 10/100/1000 chipset.

The motherboard i put into my sons pc which he just uses for email and general browsing so didnt need anything as high spec is this board...

http://www.ebuyer.com/616248-asrock-...x-985gm-gs3-fx

This board also uses the same chipset for ethernet.

Are there any better chipsets and cards out there to get the best out of the net?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2014, 14:28   #2
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads
Re: Ethernet Cards

What do you mean by "the best out of the net"? Is there something specifically wrong or that you want to improve?

Buying an expensive network card won't make your internet any faster or even your latency any lower.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 14:34   #3
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

There's no real difference between network card chipsets apart from some doing gigabit and some not.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 17:35   #4
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

So theres no real difference between lets say Broadcom, Marvell or Realtek chipset cards?
Old 31-03-2014, 18:08   #5
rhyds
Inactive

rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.
Old 01-04-2014, 00:38   #6
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

In the old days, there was a lot of difference, the older Realtek 10/100 were somewhat primitive, and an Intel Pro/100 was far superior.

Now, it looks like they all do similar kind of offload processing - my Realtek 8111 has an impressive list of offloads.

Of course, Killer is still around - under the auspices of Atheros these days - though just how much difference the embedded CPU of killer makes these days, when multiple core CPUs have taken over.

In fact, the basic criticism of the "Killer NIC" was that it showed the most difference on the weakest systems, where you would be least likely to pay the price of it!
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:22   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matth View Post
In the old days, there was a lot of difference, the older Realtek 10/100 were somewhat primitive, and an Intel Pro/100 was far superior.

Now, it looks like they all do similar kind of offload processing - my Realtek 8111 has an impressive list of offloads.
Yep, back in the old days there were differences but nowadays all are much the same. Pretty much any chip from any vendor will have no trouble hitting wire speeds.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:18   #8
alanbjames
R.I.P.

why do realtek keep upgrading their chipsets then?

I have the 8111E and i noticed theres now an 8111F
Old 03-04-2014, 07:17   #9
rhyds
Inactive

My guess? Cost engineering.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:37   #10
welshycarysrees
Inactive

Services: Large TV. 60mb Broadband and Large Phone
welshycarysrees is an unknown quantity at this point

what do you mean cost engineering?

a bloke in PC World told my husband and i that Intel chipset are better over AMD.
welshycarysrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:00   #11
rhyds
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshycarysrees View Post
what do you mean cost engineering?

a bloke in PC World told my husband and i that Intel chipset are better over AMD.

Cost engineering = making something cheaper.

And PC World is to sound technical advice what John Prescott is to ballet dancing. The PC world bloke was probably talking about Processors and motherboard chipsets, not network card chipsets.
Old 04-04-2014, 13:29   #12
alanbjames
R.I.P.

So what u r saying the 8111F is proberbly cheaper to manufacture over the 8111E?
Old 04-04-2014, 13:54   #13
rhyds
Inactive

With Ethernet being a mature technology (i.e. no really big changes in the standard) and CPUs being so powerful the only two ways you can really improve an ethernet chipset any more is by either making it compatible with a different slot/socket (PCIe, USB3), make it use less power use less power (to extend battery life) or redesign it to be cheaper to make.

I've no clue what the difference is between an 8111F or an 8111E actually is, but I'd be willing to bet its down to one or more of the reasons above.
Old 05-04-2014, 18:59   #14
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Spot on.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...n=4&ProdID=239
http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/p...n=4&ProdID=291

The only difference between the two is updated power saving features - the F supports a later version of IEEE 802.3az (Energy Efficient Ethernet) and EMAC-393 ECMA ProxZzzy Standard for sleeping hosts
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 21:20   #15
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

I remember when people were buying seperate Ethernet cards.
Now nearly every motherboard will have an ethernet port that is more than decent for the job and you won't see any real difference.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote