Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Xbox One Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Microsoft Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Xbox One Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 21:32   #1561
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The Xbox One Thread

Edge always have a go on the X1 though ever since their PS4 front page.

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

I don't regret buying mine, games will get better eventually and software will improve.

I did think about buying both consoles but I can't see the point as my life doesn't let me spend hours every day gaming, I have also grown out of it a lot now. I would almost certainly end up favouring 1 console where the other would gather dust.
Old 03-12-2013, 21:40   #1562
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

I checked my Forza and i got 3 mil credits
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 22:01   #1563
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Edge always have a go on the X1 though ever since their PS4 front page.

---------- Post added at 21:32 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

I don't regret buying mine, games will get better eventually and software will improve.

I did think about buying both consoles but I can't see the point as my life doesn't let me spend hours every day gaming, I have also grown out of it a lot now. I would almost certainly end up favouring 1 console where the other would gather dust.
I don't regret my purchase, but someone at MS really needs their head examined.

No quick and easy access to Friends, Messages, Parties, or Achievements via a Guide-like mini-dash, unlike the 360.

Parties are a mess, unlike the 360.

Friends/Followers is a nice idea but badly implemented. e.g. There are no incoming "Friend requests" (Follower notifications) unlike the 360; people you Follow but who don't Follow you back are still classed as Friends rather than being in a separate Following section (e.g. a section with pending outgoing Friend requests); full Friends are lumped in with your one-way Followers, etc.

There's currently no Dolby Digital, unlike the 360.

There's no support for browsing media servers, unlike the 360.

There's no support for media on USB devices, unlike the 360.

There's no support for USB external storage, unlike the 360.

There's no support for 3D BDs*, unlike the PS3. [* This may be deliberate, due to the Kinect 2 messing with active 3D glasses that use IR.]

PAL DVDs are forced to 60Hz, unlike the 360.

The HDMI passthrough is active-only, plus darkens anything put through it, plus causes issues with 50Hz sources.

etc. etc.

Some of these have been acknowledged (e.g. Dolby Digital and also the external storage issue), but we don't know if/when they or the others will be fixed.

It's not all bad, as some of it is done very well, and it has some very good concepts in there, but overall? Hmm... Lots of work is needed...

Yeah, fine, it's a "work in progress" and has "only just launched"... but some of these things should have been there at launch. Some people say "Oh but the 360 took ages to get those features" but that is utterly irrelevant. It doesn't matter if the 360 took ages to get any of those features, it has them now and therefore to maintain feature parity the X1 should have them now too. To be missing features the 360 has enjoyed for ages is bloody stupid, as is having a UI that seems to have taken a step backwards regarding usability in some areas.

---------- Post added at 22:01 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Oh, and another thing:

The "Upload" app is not used to upload...It's just the viewing part of the GameDVR. To actually upload anything you need to use Upload Studio. Why not just call the Upload app GameDVR instead of naming it after something it doesn't actually do?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 22:14   #1564
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I do think I probably should have got a Wii U with Mario 3D World and let a few months go by to see which console to get tbh! There aren't any games I really wanna play on the One.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 22:25   #1565
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

But aside from Mario, are there any games you'd want to play on the Wii U?

I think the Wii U will die unless Nintendo gets its act together and realises it needs 3rd party support to survive. It can't rely on Nintendo fans willing to shell out just to play a Mario game.

The Wii U is already failing, and what should have been *the* Wii U killer app, *the* Wii U system seller, ended up pushing even fewer units than the PS4's "Knack", and is apparently the worst-selling 3D Mario of all time. It also can't have helped that Nintendo stupidly released it on the same days as Sony launched the PS4 in North America, and again in Europe.

But, I guess that's all something for another thread in a sister forum
Old 03-12-2013, 22:48   #1566
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Zelda and Mario Kart .

Quote:
The Wii U is already failing, and what should have been *the* Wii U killer app, *the* Wii U system seller, ended up pushing even fewer units than the PS4's "Knack", and is apparently the worst-selling 3D Mario of all time. It also can't have helped that Nintendo stupidly released it on the same days as Sony launched the PS4 in North America, and again in Europe.
The thing regardless of how much it sells Mario games tend to offer some of the purest gaming experiences you can have. Super Mario Galaxy was worth the console cost alone, it's one of the finest games ever made. It was fun from beginning to end, each level almost perfect, you didn't care about getting from a to b or the story, you just wanted to play.

The fact Knack sold more is depressing but I don't really care about units shifted or console wars. The Gamecube was considered a failure but it had Super Mario Sunshine, Wind Waker, and Mario Kart on it and it was brilliant.

If anything I think the sales figures suggest a increase in what I call 'Bro' gaming. Where games like Super Mario Galaxy and The Last of Us get deserved critical acclaim before being shunted aside in the charts and in mindshare to the upteenth, uninspired, iteration of a identikit franchise.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 23:06   #1567
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post

I think the Wii U will die unless Nintendo gets its act together and realises it needs 3rd party support to survive. It can't rely on Nintendo fans willing to shell out just to play a Mario game.

But, I guess that's all something for another thread in a sister forum
there are plenty of games that are worth playing. Had my Wii U since May and use it just as often as my Xbox 360.

Ninty know they need 3rd party support but the other companies aren't willing to make games. Well AC4 and Batman Origins came out on it.
Old 04-12-2013, 15:34   #1568
nstokes
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze
nstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronzenstokes is cast in bronze

I dont see much difference. Yes there is a small amount but you have to actaully look for it IMO

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/12/0...ource=facebook
nstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 16:50   #1569
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes View Post
I dont see much difference. Yes there is a small amount but you have to actaully look for it IMO

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/12/0...ource=facebook
Yes i watched that earlier, not much difference at all, and i still think some textures maybe better on the X1.
Old 04-12-2013, 17:00   #1570
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think many of the Xbox One's games look slightly better than PS4 but am also surprised that the Wii U looks slighty better than PS3 and Xbox 360.
Old 04-12-2013, 17:51   #1571
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

My Kinect hears me alot better now, what you have to do is turn up the volume extremely loud when calibrating the microphone, i know longer have to shout.
Old 04-12-2013, 18:45   #1572
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age
Bulky has reached the bronze age

Was wondering what display settings are best , is there a big difference setting colour depth to 36 bits per pixel and the colour space to rgb full , I play on a monitor so would this be beneficial ?
Old 04-12-2013, 19:03   #1573
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulky View Post
Was wondering what display settings are best , is there a big difference setting colour depth to 36 bits per pixel and the colour space to rgb full , I play on a monitor so would this be beneficial ?
There is a TV calibration tool within the display settings, but I don't know how much use it would be for a monitor.

For the colour space, I think the setting does say that one option is best for TVs and one for monitors.
Old 04-12-2013, 20:06   #1574
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

O2 offer Xbox One with Fifa 14, 12 months Gold and a Nokia Lumia 1020 all for £99.99 on a 2 year contract and £52 a month.

http://www.neowin.net/news/o2-offers...-year-contract
Old 04-12-2013, 22:01   #1575
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Great offer, shame I've got a mobile contract already :-(