Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] The News Corp scandal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] The News Corp scandal

Old 03-04-2012, 22:00   #1546
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: [Update] The News Corp scandal

Threads merged.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2012, 14:18   #1547
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

SKY NEWS now admitted hacking emails 2 ocassions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17628600

Its grey area considering the ones hacked but allow this as part investigation to get story makes governments plans right. If we angry government snoop system then news should never hack even if they deem it in public interest.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 14:42   #1548
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
SKY NEWS now admitted hacking emails 2 ocassions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17628600

Its grey area considering the ones hacked but allow this as part investigation to get story makes governments plans right. If we angry government snoop system then news should never hack even if they deem it in public interest.
This made me see RED

Quote:
It also revealed it accessed the email accounts of a suspected paedophile and his wife.

Sky News said the action was in the public interest and amounted to "responsible journalism".
They have no right to hack any emails, That's the job of the intelligence service and the police when they have legal permission to do so. The sooner News international are brought to book the better

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 14:45   #1549
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
This made me see RED

They have no right to hack any emails, That's the job of the intelligence service and the police when they have legal permission to do so. The sooner News international are brought to book the better
Spot on ,deciding what is in the public interest is not up to some crooked editor or greasy hack
Old 05-04-2012, 15:02   #1550
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Spot on ,deciding what is in the public interest is not up to some crooked editor or greasy hack
yep I totally agree.

Sirius I agree you wonder how deep this going to get. I am sure this the end of them dont see surely how news international can survive.
Old 05-04-2012, 15:18   #1551
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

I actually think this is justified. You don't want the authorities alone to decide the public interest. How would you expose corruption within those organisations? I don't want the police being above the law and sometimes you cannot trust them to police themselves, if it were not for this scandal their own conduct would have gone investigatived.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 15:56   #1552
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I actually think this is justified. You don't want the authorities alone to decide the public interest. How would you expose corruption within those organisations? I don't want the police being above the law and sometimes you cannot trust them to police themselves, if it were not for this scandal their own conduct would have gone investigatived.
So you have no problem then with them hacking your email ?. Lets say someone does not like you and tells them you are a pedo, They can under your world just go ahead and hack your email hiding behind the "in the public good"

There are laws in this land regarding intercept and hacking and they have broken them, I hope someone throws the book at them and Sky news needs to be investigated over this NOW.

So who still thinks News international is fit and proper to be involved in the news and television industry in this country. They think they are above the LAW for gods sake.

Old 05-04-2012, 16:52   #1553
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
So you have no problem then with them hacking your email ?. Lets say someone does not like you and tells them you are a pedo, They can under your world just go ahead and hack your email hiding behind the "in the public good"
That's a ridiculous comparison. First of all I would not be happy with them hacking my e-mail because I've done nothing to deserve that, additionally if I had done something to deserve it I still wouldn't be happy because I wouldn't want them to uncover it.

That's not the point. I am content to have news organisations bend the law when it's clearly in the public interest. The trick is to have an editor who is careful when approving such practises, and it must be approved, and can defend it when it's become clear what they have done. In this case there was both a crime that had taken place and a realistic likelihood that they would find evidence in the e-mails.

An example would include The Telegraph breaking the law to obtain the expenses files, clearly in the public interest.

I think Sky were pushing it slightly here but given this was the e-mail of someone who was trying to hide their involvement with a serious criminal act and that the hacking of the e-mail would likely result in evidence to prove their involvement, rather than a fishing expedition, I think it just about holds up. Obviously the fact that the police were already means it's quite borderline but on balance I think we can give the benefit of the doubt. Especially since Sky News' previous conduct gives us nothing to suggest more sinister motives nor do they make it a habit of breeching privacy for trivial reasons.
Old 05-04-2012, 17:18   #1554
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
nor do they make it a habit of breeching privacy for trivial reasons.
Do you have concrete evidence of this or are you just assuming this on the grounds they have not been caught before ??.

Thankfully its not the end of it for Sky considering they are accused of hacking other providers encryption as well, Lets see if they can get away with that also

Quote:
A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: "Cleveland Police has conducted an initial review into these matters and can confirm that enquiries are ongoing into how the emails were obtained."

It is illegal to hack into emails under the Computer Misuse Act.
And

Quote:
BBC Home Affairs Correspondent Matt Prodger said: "It's extremely sensitive, because Sky News is a subsidiary of BSkyB, which is currently under investigation by Ofcom to see whether it is fit and proper to continue holding a broadcasting licence.

"So it is a real blow to yet another part of the Murdoch empire."
So a good day for those of us that want News international and Sky hung drawn and quartered slowly

Old 05-04-2012, 17:36   #1555
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Sorry Damien I disagree entirelyPhone hacking,computer hacking ,obtaining private data by illegal means,corrupting publofficials and police officers cannot just be excused under the guise of public interest.
Apologyabout crap typing but my smartphone is being an arsex
Old 05-04-2012, 17:43   #1556
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Sorry Damien I disagree entirely Phone hacking, computer hacking , obtaining private data by illegal means,corrupting public officials and police officers cannot just be excused under the guise of public interest.
Apology About crap typing but my smartphone is being an arse
Well said Maggy

Old 05-04-2012, 18:04   #1557
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Tom Watson MP said

Quote:
"There are cases where the public is best served with journalists breaking the law.
Really ? so when would it be ok for me to break the law? .Would he feel the same if was being investigated ?

In my opinion it beggars belief that people can try to justify this .Peoples privacy is getting eroded enough as it is without the media taking it upon themselves to hack phones emails and god knows what else ,and you can bet your bottom dollar that this is not the first time ,just the first time they got caught .Even more worrying is this bit ,note the word suspected .How many other people have been hacked on the strength of suspicion only

Quote:
The second email hacking incident Sky disclosed targeted the accounts of a suspected paedophile and his wife
Old 05-04-2012, 18:17   #1558
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Tom Watson MP said

Really ? so when would it be ok for me to break the law? .Would he feel the same if was being investigated ?

In my opinion it beggars belief that people can try to justify this .Peoples privacy is getting eroded enough as it is without the media taking it upon themselves to hack phones emails and god knows what else ,and you can bet your bottom dollar that this is not the first time ,just the first time they got caught .Even more worrying is this bit ,note the word suspected .How many other people have been hacked on the strength of suspicion only
This hacking has got out of hand. I hope that those who have hacked these mails are prosecuted to the full extent of the law and if that means jail time so be it. It should include those who carried out the hacking and the boss or bosses who gave the order to do it.

Old 05-04-2012, 19:23   #1559
mertle
Inactive

Quote:
Tom Watson MP said

totally agree Tom Watson just shows the atitude todays many MP's. The MP's got way too cosy with media now so clouded with there judgement. You wonder how many they investigated this way. You wonder if its more widespread we often seen stories all over place or news snippets you think how was it obtained at times.

I can only think one way this was done. there was beeb program on confidence tricksters showing how you could fall for all sorts including scimming/hacking. One if he was wifi conection they could used hacking software sit outside in van literally what what they did on the web.
Old 05-04-2012, 19:41   #1560
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Do you have concrete evidence of this or are you just assuming this on the grounds they have not been caught before ??.
If you accusing them of having committed illegal activity before then it's up to you to prove that, not for me to prove otherwise.

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Sorry Damien I disagree entirelyPhone hacking,computer hacking ,obtaining private data by illegal means,corrupting publofficials and police officers cannot just be excused under the guise of public interest.
Apologyabout crap typing but my smartphone is being an arsex
It can be excused in the public interest if there is a genuine public interest. Letting the authorities alone decided what is in the public's interest is a dangerous state of affairs in which they will be well protected against charges of corruption, amongst other things.

Again. The Telegraph would never have broken the expenses scandal had they not paid for the information.