Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Recommended Android apps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Recommended Android apps

Old 20-09-2012, 12:54   #91
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
Re: Recommended Android apps

Techguy's Apps W - Z

WiFi Status Bar Switch (F)

I got this because my SUPERHUB IS SO CRAP IT LOSES WI-FI A LOT
It adds a on/off for your Wi-Fi in your notification area so you don't need to go back to your home screen to turn it back on and potentially lose the work you were doing if you're low on memory/running a lot of apps (like me), it's a convenience thing. It's also got a really small memory footprint, unlike the other notification area status bar switches

WiFi Status Bar Switch toggles WiFi on/off.
The switch is placed in the status bar for easy access from other applications. You can also use it as a widget-like shortcut on your home screen.
When connected, the network's SSID is displayed after the title in the notification and if WiFi is on but not connected to a network, an icon is shown in the status bar.
ICS users: There is currently no way for me to sort the status bar icons like on previous Android versions. That means that there will sometimes be a blank icon in the status bar before other notifications

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...w.statusswitch

Wifi Analyzer (F)

Amazing app, really handy to have if you use Wi-Fi at all

Turns your android phone into a Wi-Fi analyzer!!
Shows the Wi-Fi channels around you. Helps you to find a less crowded channel for your wireless router.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....wifi.analyzer

ZDbox (All-In-One toolbox) (F)

ZDbox can save your battery and boost your android running speed!
ZDbox is an amazing all-in-one toolbox.It can save your battery and boost your android running speed! Five stars in xda forum.
ZDbox is an amazing and free all-in-one toolbox. It holds a collection of useful tools and has a nice and easy to use interface. With ZDbox you’re getting your mobile/cell phone under control, do easily some optimization and customize it to your needs. An essential tool which you will love!
★ Widgets: Keep screen always on, kill all tasks, WiFi on/off, airplane mode on/off, brightness adjustment, sound settings, rotate screen on/off, bluetooth on/off, start/stop sync, switch between 2G/3G/4G, app lock on/off, GPS on/off, APN on/off (mobile access point), flashlight on/off
Battery: Monitoring and showing lots of information about remaining battery time, temperature, health, time since last boot, necessary time until full charge and so on
★ one tap power saver :click battery saving button to turn Battery saving mode on/off. Turn off Battery saving mode to resume the previous mobile status before battery saving.
★ Traffic counter: Monthly/daily mobile data usage overview, shows remaining data traffic, detailed data usage information for each app.
★ Do not disturb: Just set days and the time when you need your privacy and you won’t be disturbed by your phone. Set phone to silent, vibration or airplane mode.
★ App lock: Protect apps with a password or pattern, for exmaple your contacts, Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp,Gmail and so on
★ Task killer: Kill all apps at once, define protected apps which won’t be killed, set auto kill when screen gets locked, mark single or multiple apps to kill
★ history eraser:clean your(Browser history,market search history,Google Map search history,Gmail search history,Clipboard)
★ Notification bar: One tap on the bar shows remaining battery time, running apps, how much data traffic is left and if app lock is active or not. A tap on these informations starts ZDbox.
★ Uninstaller: Shows used/available internal and SD card memory. Apps can be easily uninstalled. Single or multiple (batch) uninstall possible.
★ App to SD: Move apps to your SD card. Single or multiple (batch) move possible. Only for Android 2.2 and 2.3.
★Cache Cleaner:With Cache Cleaner you can clean your cache of phone.protect your secret without a trace.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.toolbox

And there we are, a selection of my most useful apps, maybe you'll find them handy too. I've not included games although I do have some installed. Some to consider are: Temple Run (F) Plants Vs Zombies (P), Box Face Stacker (F), Osmos HD (P), Reflexions (P), and Speedx 3D (F)
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-09-2012, 19:13   #92
tucker61
Inactive

Services: Vivid200, v6, full house tv pack
tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

Apps books and movies on sale due to 25 billion apps being downloaded. Some bargains available.

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/google...e-days-1320978
tucker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 19:18   #93
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

the new youtube app is ok. still no clickable video linkage though
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 19:45   #94
tucker61
Inactive

tucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nicetucker61 is just really nice

Anyone seen any good apps in the black Friday sale?
Old 27-11-2012, 12:18   #95
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

Techguyone

Thanks. Some good looking apps. I will have a look later.
I have a Google/Asus Nexus and if you have a Logitech Touch HiFi system or Logitech Radios, then the Squeezebox app is superb.
Sad maybe, but I can control all of the above in my house from the Nexus over WiFi.
I am a big radio listener and station flicker and I can select stations to listen to on my kitchen radio on a single button press.
My Nexus was worth every penny just for this.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 13:17   #96
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Adobe Photoshop Touch has been updated and now officially supports 7" tablets.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 20:07   #97
tucker61
Inactive

BBC I player app has just received a update.
Think before you update as it gets rid of the favourites function.
Old 14-12-2012, 15:42   #98
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Facebook have finally released a native app for Android to replace the old HTML5-based one. The new one is like greased lightning compared to the old one.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 16:08   #99
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Facebook have finally released a native app for Android to replace the old HTML5-based one. The new one is like greased lightning compared to the old one.
Been holding off putting Facebook on my phone in case it tries to link up anyone and everyone from everywhere. Was bad enough the google account trying to add everyone I had ever emailed lol.

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

Here are some I use:

For file management:
ES File explorer: Use this most of the time for getting files from the PC/Laptop share or from my dropbox folder online, or just managing folders on the phone.
AirDroid: Use this if im sitting at the PC as it works through your browser but also lets you control your whole phone, send sms messages, organise contacts, edit ringtones etc.

Browser:
Using Maxthon Browser which is based on Opera. Also like Boat Browser

Cloud Storage:
Dropbox: Used this on my old phone as a way to move files between pc and phone but don't use it much now. Got a 50GB storage upgrade due to the Samsung phone so might use it more. You can share some of the files uploaded with others, while keeping others private. It will stream videos you upload, to your mobile.

Open to suggestions of better alternatives for cloud storage.

Messaging:
WhatsApp: I have an unlimited data plan and almost the same with texts and calls but get charged for picture/video messages. So I use this to send instant messages, pictures and videos etc for free to friends that also use it, as it just uses data.

HDR Camera+: Good for taking landscape pictures

0800 Wizard: UK mobile companies charge you to call freephone numbers, this app gives you a local number which are included on inclusive tariffs and routes the call onward.

Fing network tools: Finds all devices on your network and gives you info about them, option to ping them, wake on lan, port/service scan them etc.

Awesome On Off - Smart Screen: This wakes/unlocks your screen when you pick it up. I use it when im at home simple to save a button press. Can be set to wake at a certain angle, which is what I use, or by proximity sensor. Not too bad on the battery but I do turn it off when I leave the house.

Im looking for a decent app that changes the lock screen security when im out, so adds the PIN or pattern option for example. When I get home, want it to revert back to simple unlock. Looks like some apps work on GPS and some on home wireless connection. Seen a few apps in the market but wanted a recommendation with pro's/cons from someone who has actually used something like this. I did look at Tasker but the S3 has so many things built in that it seems overboard to use Tasker just for this.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 16:10   #100
Jameseh

Microsoft SkyDrive
Old 14-12-2012, 16:15   #101
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Microsoft SkyDrive
Does it have any benefits over the other options like Dropbox and the google drive?
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 18:35   #102
tucker61
Inactive

I use both skydrive and Dropbox. Skydrive is used for backup of all my photo's. Dropbox for everything else.
Preference out of the 2 = Dropbox
Old 14-12-2012, 19:10   #103
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

I love Dropbox, as soon as I take a photo on my phone it gets put into my Dropbox and by the time I get to my PC, it's there ready, saves so much faffing around with USB cables, etc!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2012, 21:28   #104
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I use Skydrive as it gives me 25GB free space, although i have just bought a GS3 so now dropbox is 50GB, however it will go back down to 5GB in 2 years time so Skydrive wins for me.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 01:26   #105
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I use Skydrive as it gives me 25GB free space, although i have just bought a GS3 so now dropbox is 50GB, however it will go back down to 5GB in 2 years time so Skydrive wins for me.
By which time you will probably have a new phone with a new Dropbox quota upgrade
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote