Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poor wireless connectivity

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Poor wireless connectivity

Old 06-07-2004, 14:52   #31
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Poor wireless connectivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
I'm suprised it was enabled.
Yeah, have just been looking at the wireless configuration on my main PC and the authentification tab doesnt even exist.

The fix didnt work by the way, Its made my connection much more stable, lasted for 4hrs today, though when it finally did drop the connection, it dropped it and reaquired it several times in under a minute (Lasted for about 3 mins, and dropped about 5 times in total), then reastablished a stable connection and hasnt dropped again since (Only been an hour since that though).

EDIT: dropped connection again straight after this post.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2004, 14:58   #32
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Sound like its your neighbours network causing interference then, when there is transmission on that network you have problems.

Perhaps their PC checked Windows update, or a AV update.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 15:01   #33
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal

Ive just taken a more detailed look at my laptop and it appears that my wireless NIC and my IGP share the same IRQ, could this have something to do with the problem perhapps?
Old 06-07-2004, 15:23   #34
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Sound like its your neighbours network causing interference then, when there is transmission on that network you have problems.

Perhaps their PC checked Windows update, or a AV update.
My neighbour on the right hand side of the house has a network, though thiers is on channel 1, mine is on 13, also it doesnt affect the other computer that is connected, for some reason it only affects the laptop, the computer that is uneffected is on the same side of the house the neighbours network is on, the laptop is in my room wich is on the other side of the house
Old 06-07-2004, 15:25   #35
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Nothing more to add from me on this subject then.
Old 06-07-2004, 16:54   #36
ZrByte
Inactive

hmmm, well this is interesting.....
Ive been looking for driver updates for qute some time for my D-Link wireless cards, I downloaded some updated drivers and they never worked right, one of the older updated drivers worked ok so I have been using that.
Today instead of going to www.dlink.com I went to www.dlink.co.uk and searched for newer drivers, according to the .co.uk website there are no updated drivers at all for my hardware.
This made me think that maybe there is a difference in hardware between the UK DWL-G520 and the US DWL-G520, this would explain the driver difficulties I have been having with the newest versions. It took a little searching but I eventually found my original Driver CD (I should have 3 of them but I struggled to find 1 lol) I uninstalled the current driver (v2.36 I think) and installed the original from the CD (v2.23), and the laptop seems to be able to connect to it fine ever since.

So to summarise, it would seem the problem has been with my PC all along. I probably never would have noticed if I had a WAP or Router (Hoping to finally get one this payday )
Old 06-07-2004, 17:31   #37
SMHarman
Inactive

US Wireless only has 11 channels, UK 13; as such the drivers have to be different. Linksys warn you if you are updating a EU product with a US driver you will lose two chanels of wireless.
Old 18-07-2004, 23:08   #38
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Well.... time for drastic measures. I "turned off" the wireless modem (on my lappy, there is an external button in the case to swith off the wireless modem) and connected a spare Netgear usb adaptor I had. As ZrByte said it would, WinXP threw hissy fit after hissy fit. I suspect I need to change the Intel mini-pci crap that is in there (not only does ZrByte have probs with his, other people online have had it too.) Before I do it, has anyone done this? I've never opened a laptop before, does anyone have any hints? Would any mini-pci wireless adaptor work? The laptop is the HP zt3010us. There is a real lack of info. Someone did say though that you have to buy a wireless adaptor to fit your notebook. Does anyone know which ones might? IBM seem to do one. I'm a bit loathed to buy another one, but would the Intel2200 be any better?

Any and every piece of advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanx
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 23:15   #39
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Where's the antenna situated in relation to wires, pc case etc?
nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2004, 23:39   #40
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Well.... time for drastic measures. I "turned off" the wireless modem (on my lappy, there is an external button in the case to swith off the wireless modem) and connected a spare Netgear usb adaptor I had. As ZrByte said it would, WinXP threw hissy fit after hissy fit. I suspect I need to change the Intel mini-pci crap that is in there (not only does ZrByte have probs with his, other people online have had it too.) Before I do it, has anyone done this? I've never opened a laptop before, does anyone have any hints? Would any mini-pci wireless adaptor work? The laptop is the HP zt3010us. There is a real lack of info. Someone did say though that you have to buy a wireless adaptor to fit your notebook. Does anyone know which ones might? IBM seem to do one. I'm a bit loathed to buy another one, but would the Intel2200 be any better?

Any and every piece of advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanx
To remove the wireless card simply open up the mini PCI bay at the bottom of the laptop, you will see the card seated in the slot. Firstly remove the two wires (It may be worthwhile to make a note of wich wire connects to wich socket) they are socketed normally so just pull gently but firmly and they should come off. Taking the card out of the slot is very similar to how you remove Edo RAM, simply push the metal clips away either side and the card will simply pop up, then you can pull it out and that is that.
I dont know if there are any specific incompatibilities with certain mini PCI and certain laptops so I couldnt say, however, you could just remove the card alltogether and go with a PCMCIA (Like I am currently since mine lost the will to live again) or a USB.
Old 18-07-2004, 23:41   #41
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
Where's the antenna situated in relation to wires, pc case etc?
The Antenna for a laptop Mini PC is normally.....
Around the Rim of the monitor (Internally)
or around the Rim of the case (also internally).
Old 19-07-2004, 00:04   #42
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say that my money is on the other wireless networks or 2.4ghz based equiptment causing problems. I have seen this many times on wireless networks. The main pc may be getting a clearer signal than the laptop. Have a look at the SNR ( signal to noise ratio ) reading on the site servay. Wireless networks will throttle down the speed if there is noise and will keep reducing it until ( sometimes ) the network goes completely. You could try going into the advanced wireless network properties and setting the " only connect to adhoc networks " option though I am sceptical that this will help. Try moving the laptop directly next to the other card/pc and see if the problems continues.

Its funny that you are having this problem becouse my father in-laws laptop is having exactly the same problem at the moment. Its not an intel wireless card but its a built-in one with the antenna around the screen like yours.

I have changed the channel around a few times but the other (3) wireless networks around us keep chnaging channel to. I suggest that you knock on next door as sugested and come to an agreement on the channel numbering. If you have your ssid withheld it may be that they are unaware that they are causing problems.

Hope that some of this helps.....
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 00:09   #43
ZrByte
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuartbe
I have to say that my money is on the other wireless networks or 2.4ghz based equiptment causing problems. I have seen this many times on wireless networks. The main pc may be getting a clearer signal than the laptop. Have a look at the SNR ( signal to noise ratio ) reading on the site servay. Wireless networks will throttle down the speed if there is noise and will keep reducing it until ( sometimes ) the network goes completely. You could try going into the advanced wireless network properties and setting the " only connect to adhoc networks " option though I am sceptical that this will help. Try moving the laptop directly next to the other card/pc and see if the problems continues.

Its funny that you are having this problem becouse my father in-laws laptop is having exactly the same problem at the moment. Its not an intel wireless card but its a built-in one with the antenna around the screen like yours.

I have changed the channel around a few times but the other (3) wireless networks around us keep chnaging channel to. I suggest that you knock on next door as sugested and come to an agreement on the channel numbering. If you have your ssid withheld it may be that they are unaware that they are causing problems.

Hope that some of this helps.....
Im not so sure thats the problem, at least not in my case. Since its only the one card thats effected, if I use a different card in the laptop it works fine, though both Mini PCI cards I own have the same problem, the 802.11g is much worse than the 802.11b, the 11b only drops every couple of hours, the 11g drops every couple of mins.
Its only when I use a PCMCIA card that I get a clear signal.
Old 19-07-2004, 00:18   #44
Stuartbe
cf.mega poster

Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point
Stuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this pointStuartbe is an unknown quantity at this point

That suggests tp me that its the adaptor antenna that is the problem. Have you moved it right next to the other card ?

The higher the SNR the more interference there is. It seems funny that they should put the antenna wire right next to the side of the TFT just where millions of noisy transistors are switching on and off !

The pcmcia cards usualy have better quality antennas in them..... Makes me wonder if this problem affects lots of bods that have inbuilt wi-fi cards !
Stuartbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2004, 04:22   #45
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Thanx for all the help guys...

Nffc: I can't see any attenna as such. The laptop cover (the other side of the screen) is metallic, so that might be it?

ZrByte: Sounds pretty easy them. I've looked underneath it all the component areas are marked (like battery, HD, ram, etc), but none with Mini-PCI. There's an unmarked bay at the back so that might be it. Or else it might be under the battery or something.

StuartBe: I've checked the site survey info in Netgear and the SNR doesn't come up so I don't know what it is. The other wireless desktop seems to do fine though. I don't fancy knocking on this guy's door (I don't know even know where to start looking. Both the homes on either side and directly across the road are vacation homes). Even if I could I don't think the channel numbering will work. It was on 11, then I switched to 3, but it still goes on.

I'll just have to bite the bullet and rip the bugger out. See if that sorts it.

Thanx again everyone.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote