Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Operation Yewtree

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Operation Yewtree

Old 02-10-2012, 13:05   #91
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
re: Operation Yewtree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caff View Post
Exactly.

Whether dead or alive a perpritrator of a crime, if found guilty, should be punished in a fitting way. In this case peoples memory of him might change.
Similarly, someone accused of crime of which they were innocent, and executed/incarcerated, may be exonerated - whether they living or dead.

Whatever the outcome, those that loved, admired or knew him as a friend will have new worriess. Mud sticks.

I'll wait for the outcome.
The problem is, he never can be found legally guilty of anything. You can't try a dead man, and TBH we shouldn't attempt to - he can't stand up and offer any sort of defence.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2012, 13:20   #92
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Jimmy Saville allegations

What is surprising is the amount of people in the industry that have seemed to have suspected this. There are few of them claiming surprise and the instead the response ranges from Esther Rantzen's acceptance to Paul Gambaccini's comments that he has waited 30 years for this to come out. Louis Theoruix who did a documentary on Savile has said he attempt to broach the rumours but didn't get far because he had no evidence and didn't want to push it.

It all suggests that these rumours were persistent and widely known in the industry and yet it didn't leak in the public domain. He was even questioned about it and no paper reported it, The Sun had a reporter whose story was spiked by her editor because 'it wasn't what people wanted to read' and latter when a unnamed tabloid was going to do something on the allegations he somehow stopped it again by offering a interview to a rival (which can't be the whole story)...

Very odd.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 13:22   #93
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I came across a columnist earlier in the week who more or less alleged a conspiracy of silence amongst 'luvvies' anxious to protect one of their own and suggested that had he been a Catholic priest both he and his former employer would have been hung, drawn and quartered by now.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 13:23   #94
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The problem is, he never can be found legally guilty of anything. You can't try a dead man, and TBH we shouldn't attempt to - he can't stand up and offer any sort of defence.
Point accepted Chris. You are more knowlegeable than me.

My thoughts are, that others who might have been abused may now step forward - or that the floodgates might open for attention seekers.
As you say : he's not here to defend himself.

I'll wait for the final ruling. But mud sticks.
Old 02-10-2012, 13:27   #95
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
I came across a columnist earlier in the week who more or less alleged a conspiracy of silence amongst 'luvvies' anxious to protect one of their own and suggested that had he been a Catholic priest both he and his former employer would have been hung, drawn and quartered by now.
Absolutely. Back in the 70s (and to some extent the 80s) Saville was a very powerful entity. And in an industry where reputation and perception is everything, anyone breaking ranks and making allegations about him would be committing career suicide if not backed up by similar powerful names. It could even be argued that these silent people should share some of his alleged guilt.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 13:57   #96
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Absolutely. Back in the 70s (and to some extent the 80s) Saville was a very powerful entity. And in an industry where reputation and perception is everything, anyone breaking ranks and making allegations about him would be committing career suicide if not backed up by similar powerful names. It could even be argued that these silent people should share some of his alleged guilt.
Well you'll also want to be sure you're right. If you're going to call a popular personality a child abuser you want to be sure it holds up. If it isn't proved then you would be committing career suicide and some legal troubles to boot. I don't think the silent people share any of the guilt really, unless someone really did have material that would have held up to critical inspection.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:54 ----------

Quote:
Well the Catholic church covered up multiple abuse allegations didn't they? Moving people around parishes and not co-operating with investigations? Seems like it's pretty similar rather than a double standard.

I wonder if some of those coming out now with their comments knew more than they are letting on and are now rushing to condemn him to avoid any suggestion of willingly turning a blind eye before.
Old 02-10-2012, 14:19   #97
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

What annoys me about all this is. we're getting 'celebrities' coming forward and speaking up now about how they more or less knew or suspected what was going on.

don't they realise how that comes across, and what it says about them personally?

If you think about it as well. the BBC has a big involvement in all this.
it all revolves around Saville and the BBC at the time.

going to become very interesting soon I reckon.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 16:37   #98
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

i suspect Jimmy knew where the dead bodies were. Big organisation must have lots of secrets.
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 16:45   #99
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
i suspect Jimmy knew where the dead bodies were. Big organisation must have lots of secrets.
I doubt that. I just imagine they are telling the truth they didn't have complaints and were wary of getting into a investigation of a star personality because of rumours.
Old 02-10-2012, 17:50   #100
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I doubt that. I just imagine they are telling the truth they didn't have complaints and were wary of getting into a investigation of a star personality because of rumours.
This isn't looking too good.

Quote:
A 10-minute Newsnight film looking into allegations of child sex abuse by Sir Jimmy Savile was dropped by the programme's editor last December, even though journalists conducting the investigation had interviewed 10 alleged victims and witnesses and believed they had enough information to broadcast the story.

The intervention by Peter Rippon, Newsnight's editor, prompted a furious row behind the scenes and led journalists connected with the programme to ask questions in private about what BBC bosses above Rippon knew about the film and the decision to pull it.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...?newsfeed=true
Old 02-10-2012, 18:02   #101
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

I think there may be a few late night meetings down at Broadcasting house
Old 02-10-2012, 18:57   #102
chris9991
Inactive

chris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant futurechris9991 has a brilliant future

Surely he couldn't have done it all on his own. At the very least other people appear to have known something wrong was happening at the time. Their failure to act may have meant more children being abused.
chris9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 21:05   #103
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caff View Post
Exactly.

Whether dead or alive a perpritrator of a crime, if found guilty, should be punished in a fitting way. In this case peoples memory of him might change.
Similarly, someone accused of crime of which they were innocent, and executed/incarcerated, may be exonerated - whether they living or dead.

Whatever the outcome, those that loved, admired or knew him as a friend will have new worriess. Mud sticks.

I'll wait for the outcome.
They could take away his Knighthood, if that's possible.

Quote:
It's well known that the Catholic church have been covering up such things for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Good points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris9991 View Post
Surely he couldn't have done it all on his own. At the very least other people appear to have known something wrong was happening at the time. Their failure to act may have meant more children being abused.
Indeed. There was another comedian from the 70's and 80's who is alleged to have been doing the same things as Saville at the same time. He has only been referred to as "F".

There was the guy who claimed that his jokes were funny because of the way that he told them, but I can't think of any others from that era, but I was very young at the time.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 21:11   #104
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

You can take away someones Knighthood and I imagine that's what will happen here if it's proved to a certain degree. It's rather difficult that there isn't a court case so by revoking his Knighthood it would be an official presumption of guilt from the state. I imagine they'll be wary of doing it.
Old 02-10-2012, 21:22   #105
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
You can take away someones Knighthood and I imagine that's what will happen here if it's proved to a certain degree. It's rather difficult that there isn't a court case so by revoking his Knighthood it would be an official presumption of guilt from the state. I imagine they'll be wary of doing it.
I think it'll probably be tricky to take away his knighthood. Still I think it's good this is coming to light. True, as some have argued it's not going to change anything, since he's dead anyway, but I think it's important we understand how he got away with it. Plus there should probably be consequences for certain people within the BBC if it can be shown they did not act upon credible evidence they did have.

All of that is presuming the allegations are true, but with what's been coming out over the last couple of days, it's not looking good for 'Sir Jimmy'.