Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media to Double Broadband Speed

Old 05-01-2012, 03:19   #241
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Speed doubling?

mines £123 lol

hopefully if I read correctly, it will drop slightly when everyone is upgraded from 50 to 100mbit

but then knowing me I will take the 200Mbit so it will shoot back up.

wondering if I can get it down to though by swapping 1 of my V+ boxes for a TiVo.
As TiVo is only £3 a month but isnt the monthly charge for V+ higher?
Other V+ was a free move when I took first TiVo box.

but might be able to save on the other V+ can anybody confirm?

Thanks.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2012, 09:56   #242
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you are on TV XL (which you say you are) then the cost of TiVo is usually more than for the V+ i.e £3 TiVo fee per month per box on top of any multiroom fee vs £0 a month per box for the V+

Only variation on this is if you are on an old version of the VIP bundles where V+ is £10 a month on top of the mulitroom fee. But anyone with a TiVo and VIP should have had all the V+ boxes and the bundle moved to the current pricing structure
Old 06-01-2012, 05:12   #243
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Any news is this bandwidth increase will be extended to Virginmedia business customers?
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:54   #244
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Any news is this bandwidth increase will be extended to Virginmedia business customers?
It isn't a bandwidth increase it's a speed increase. VM marketing will be pleased that you have confused the two though. Whether or not you get any speed increase will depend on whether or not VM think giving you one would offer them a competetive advantage.

In fact I suspect the speed increases will coincide with the upgrades to 8 channel downstreams for a 200Mbps rollout and a move to a more draconian traffic management policy.

It isn't clear to me whether or not an 8 channel node will serve the same number of modems as a current 4 channel node or if two 4 channel nodes will be somehow combined and there will be less nodes overall. If moving to 8 channels leads to a doubling in bandwidth as well as supporting higher headline speeds it will be very welcome and might even mean that I'd have some chance of actually seeing the increased speed (although as will no doubt be mentioned I'd need to get my Superhub reactivated and as will also be mentioned put up with the increased latency and jitter that will cause). Perhaps I'll be lucky and Infinity will arrive first so I won't need to choose.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:56   #245
earth
Inactive

earth is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
If moving to 8 channels leads to a doubling in bandwidth as well as supporting higher headline speeds it will be very welcome and might even mean that I'd have some chance of actually seeing the increased speed (although as will no doubt be mentioned I'd need to get my Superhub reactivated and as will also be mentioned put up with the increased latency and jitter that will cause). Perhaps I'll be lucky and Infinity will arrive first so I won't need to choose.
I had a Superhub installed yesterday (upgraded from 50 to 100) and although it's early days I can't really see any difference on my TBB Ping monitor graph between the Superhub in modem mode and the old VMNG300.
earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:35   #246
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

TBH I'm not surprised but there are several people here who reckon there is a difference.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 15:53   #247
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Can't be too long before people start seeing something like this.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:02   #248
earth
Inactive

earth is an unknown quantity at this point

Three upstream channels?
earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:07   #249
GazCBG
cf.mega poster

Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
GazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the roughGazCBG is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

So does anyone know when the speed will be doubling ie 50Mb to 100Mb as I am thinking of downgrading to 50Mb, due to not using 100Mb I am not a downloader, but do play games online which I think 50Mb should be just as good as 100Mb at.
GazCBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 16:32   #250
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Can't be too long before people start seeing something like this.

presume thats from comcast?

some noticeable differences:
- higher d/s frequencies
- symbol rate is 5.360537 whereas ours is 6.952
- interleave depth is I=32 J=4, whereas ours is I=12 J=17
- 64qam upstreams
- not to mention the fact they have 3 upstreams

oh and why do they have a DOCSIS1.0 16qam, a DOCSIS2.0 16qam and a DOCSIS2.0 64qam upstreams? seems strsnge to have a load of different upstream channels bonded

and also, why do you say "Can't be too long before people start seeing something like this." - do you have some information to tell us??
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:23   #251
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Yes it's Comcast and nothing I haven't already, upstream bonding is coming pretty soon, once upstream line cards compatible are in place, and >4 downstreams is already showing its face.
Old 06-01-2012, 18:01   #252
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of

I'd be happy if they just installed the bloody upload/100mb upgrades in Stav.
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 20:05   #253
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickJesus View Post
I'd be happy if they just installed the bloody upload/100mb upgrades in Stav.
Ditto for Mortlake, oh well, they're too busy doing other sites early to bother with my overdue one.
Old 06-01-2012, 20:10   #254
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

ignition, your the daddy on all this so why the hell are you not upgraded? VM have their own plans as you say but with all the knowledge you've got which is probably down to you being out and about here there and everywhere surely you could pull strings?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 20:11   #255
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

That would assume he worked for VM......
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote