Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.
Closed Thread

Old 24-05-2013, 17:48   #1561
howardmicks
Inactive

Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
howardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appealhowardmicks has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobes View Post
Escuse me if so, but has this been mentioned?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...-business.html

Nice to see them working together :p wonder what we'll get out of it
Prob nothing
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2013, 18:06   #1562
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

I always thought that you couldn't "record" BBC iPlayer content because of rights issues.

But it seems on Sky Anytime you "record" by downloading the content and it saves it to your planner.

Does anyone know if it automatically expires if you don't watch it within 7 days for eg. or does it stay on the planner for eternity?

If so, sounds like Virgin could do this.
Old 24-05-2013, 18:23   #1563
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

On BBC iPlayer, you can download programmes to your iPad (other tablets are available), and keep it for seven days after you start watching it.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 24-05-2013, 18:58   #1564
coulsontom
Inactive

coulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to beholdcoulsontom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
On BBC iPlayer, you can download programmes to your iPad (other tablets are available), and keep it for seven days after you start watching it.
I know. Or 30 days from download.

I wouldn't mind knowing if it has a deadline on Sky once you've downloaded.

Seems a great system to me.
Old 24-05-2013, 20:16   #1565
ocav
Inactive

ocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulsontom View Post
I always thought that you couldn't "record" BBC iPlayer content because of rights issues.

But it seems on Sky Anytime you "record" by downloading the content and it saves it to your planner.

Does anyone know if it automatically expires if you don't watch it within 7 days for eg. or does it stay on the planner for eternity?

If so, sounds like Virgin could do this.
It's expires on the same expiry date as Virgin Media's On Demand iPlayer content.
Old 24-05-2013, 22:31   #1566
coulsontom
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocav View Post
It's expires on the same expiry date as Virgin Media's On Demand iPlayer content.
Yes expires from the On demand.

BUT: if you've downloaded it to your planner, does it go off there?
Old 24-05-2013, 22:45   #1567
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I have found in the past that I can record BBC iPlayer content onto an external DVD recorder via Scart but not stuff from Sky Anytime. I don't have the recorder connected up anymore but remember being pleasantly surprised when it worked.
Old 24-05-2013, 22:51   #1568
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Yes expires from the On demand.

BUT: if you've downloaded it to your planner, does it go off there?
It expires on your planner as well
Old 24-05-2013, 23:10   #1569
coulsontom
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
It expires on your planner as well
ahhh ok so not as good as I thought. Doesn't really make a deal of difference then does it?

Tho I have to say that given iplayer is integrated into the Sky interface, I think virgin should do that like it once was. The way you have to watch through that crappy app is rubbish. I swear bbc trust said they needed to do it that way so virgin didn't have unfair advantage, but sky do it through guide anyway.
Old 24-05-2013, 23:36   #1570
ocav
Inactive

ocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant futureocav has a brilliant future

Quote:
ahhh ok so not as good as I thought. Doesn't really make a deal of difference then does it?

Tho I have to say that given iplayer is integrated into the Sky interface, I think virgin should do that like it once was. The way you have to watch through that crappy app is rubbish. I swear bbc trust said they needed to do it that way so virgin didn't have unfair advantage, but sky do it through guide anyway.
iPlayer is still integrated, you can use the backwards EPG or the catch up menu, it just forwards you to the app.

We get the app cause it means the BBC can supply content direct to the boxes from their servers rather than delivering programmes to Virgin to put at each headend.

Sky's integration is just the same as Tivos apart from it downloads to their box instead of streams. Sky boxes just can't support the iPlayer interface the TiVo can.

But as I say, iPlayer is integrated it just has a different UI and streams via the Internet rather than standard On Demand
Old 24-05-2013, 23:52   #1571
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
iPlayer is still integrated, you can use the backwards EPG or the catch up menu, it just forwards you to the app.

We get the app cause it means the BBC can supply content direct to the boxes from their servers rather than delivering programmes to Virgin to put at each headend.

Sky's integration is just the same as Tivos apart from it downloads to their box instead of streams. Sky boxes just can't support the iPlayer interface the TiVo can.

But as I say, iPlayer is integrated it just has a different UI and streams via the Internet rather than standard On Demand
Still an awful crappy app tho'.
Old 25-05-2013, 00:26   #1572
coulsontom
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
Exactly it's ****. Mainly because you get that awful circle appearing.

It's not integrated because you have to use the app to select HD etc... even if using backwards EPG.

Sky's is more integrated because it has the same interface.
Old 25-05-2013, 11:39   #1573
ocav
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
But you don't have to use it, if I want to watch something on iPlayer, the only time I see it is when I am playing the programme.

It's the same app as on connected TVs, BluRays, Freesat boxes and I believe YouView. If you hate the app, take that up with the BBC iPlayer team, they are solely responsible for it.
Old 25-05-2013, 12:56   #1574
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

BBC testing new HD Channel on Astra.

BBC are testing out an new HD Channel on Astra (Maybe the following will happen):

A) An HD Channel for the BBC Red Button.
B) BBC HD maybe about to relaunch for shows in HD on CBBC, Cbeebies, BBC Three and BBC Four.
C) BBC News HD may launch.

Rumours started by a516 (a516 think A will happen).

http://www.a516digital.com/2013/05/b...-way.html#more
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 25-05-2013, 13:04   #1575
coulsontom
Inactive

Quote:
But you don't have to use it, if I want to watch something on iPlayer, the only time I see it is when I am playing the programme.

It's the same app as on connected TVs, BluRays, Freesat boxes and I believe YouView. If you hate the app, take that up with the BBC iPlayer team, they are solely responsible for it.
of course you have to ****ing use it!

And it's **** at playing the programme. It's so much better on through Virgin Media itself.

Fast forwarding etc.. is crap. you can only skip 1 minute at a time, and if you push it twice it skips about 10 minutes.

But crucially it's not the "same app" as on Sky is it

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
BBC testing new HD Channel on Astra.

BBC are testing out an new HD Channel on Astra (Maybe the following will happen):

A) An HD Channel for the BBC Red Button.
B) BBC HD maybe about to relaunch for shows in HD on CBBC, Cbeebies, BBC Three and BBC Four.
C) BBC News HD may launch.

Rumours started by a516 (a516 think A will happen).

http://www.a516digital.com/2013/05/b...-way.html#more
Yes, that will be for Wimbledon and Doctor Who in 3D.

They should keep it on and show other programmes in HD, but it can only be temporary surely? as the reason they gave for bbc2hd was cost.
Closed Thread