Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.
Closed Thread

Old 23-05-2013, 08:41   #1486
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj20x View Post
Yes but it's on the first page of the thread and rarely changes on the updates. It would be easier to follow if it just listed changes from the original listing.
True, but surely it's useful for the random guests/newbies to the site to be able to see this stuff? I wonder how different this update is compared to the one on the front of the thread?
Advertisement
Old 23-05-2013, 09:03   #1487
dj_wayne
Inactive

dj_wayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2013) Vol. 2.

so could sky alantic be coming our way at virginmedia!! http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...-business.html
Old 23-05-2013, 09:12   #1488
nicknewark
Inactive

Services: V6 Tivo, Virgin BB, Freesat, NowTV. PS4 Pro
nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era

I wouldn't hold your breath, Virgin seem to have been quite good in the past as giving away bargaining chips.

You would hope that they would have negotiated something in return for this aside from money, like you say channels in return, a missed opportunity, if they haven't.

Fingers crossed.
Old 23-05-2013, 09:14   #1489
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_wayne View Post
so could sky alantic be coming our way at virginmedia!! http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/new...-business.html
Well lets see as there have been many false dawns before with regards to Sky Atlantic.
Old 23-05-2013, 09:25   #1490
sebastion
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Talk and BB.
sebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to beholdsebastion is a splendid one to behold

Are Sky still running Ads for Sky Atlantic, I have not noticed any for the past couple of weeks.
Old 23-05-2013, 10:15   #1491
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

An interesting read

http://recombu.com/digital/news/yout...mpaign=website
Old 23-05-2013, 11:22   #1492
the_pidgeon
Inactive

the_pidgeon is a name known to allthe_pidgeon is a name known to allthe_pidgeon is a name known to allthe_pidgeon is a name known to allthe_pidgeon is a name known to allthe_pidgeon is a name known to allthe_pidgeon is a name known to allthe_pidgeon is a name known to all

When they advertise Sky Atlantic or any other Exclusive channel they always mention the HD version anyway, so they will can still give us Atlantic SD and maintain exclusivity in a sort of way.
Old 23-05-2013, 11:29   #1493
Jameseh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pidgeon View Post
When they advertise Sky Atlantic or any other Exclusive channel they always mention the HD version anyway, so they will can still give us Atlantic SD and maintain exclusivity in a sort of way.
Or they can just keep the channel and keep us talking about the 101 ways we could somehow end up with the channel Sky clearly want as an exclusive.

Old 23-05-2013, 14:00   #1494
bamav
cf.addict

Services: VM L TV powered by TiVo, 30MB BB, Sky Sports, Phone L, Freeview.
bamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to all

I can see Sky using VM's network as a possible step toward Sky providing their own channels directly - eliminating VM as a middle man relaying them. This would be financially better for everyone involved, especially the paying customer.

We would need to know what conditions have been agreed for Sky using VM's network, but I'm pretty sure it won't just be for broadband.

If what I've heard about Sky carriage deals expiring soon (?), we might be yet be pleasantly surprised...
Old 23-05-2013, 14:11   #1495
toady
cf.geek

Services: A mix of XXL and XL
toady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud oftoady has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamav View Post
I can see Sky using VM's network as a possible step toward Sky providing their own channels directly - eliminating VM as a middle man relaying them. This would be financially better for everyone involved, especially the paying customer.
How would that work, wouldn't the VM smartcard in each box need to be updated to allow the Sky channels to be decrypted. How would the Sky channels be visible on the programme guide without VM adding them ?
Old 23-05-2013, 14:22   #1496
gizuk
Inactive

gizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nice

Quote:

We would need to know what conditions have been agreed for Sky using VM's network, but I'm pretty sure it won't just be for broadband.

If what I've heard about Sky carriage deals expiring soon (?), we might be yet be pleasantly surprised...
I am 99% sure it will be just for adding broadband capacity. This agreement has zero to do with channels at all.
Old 23-05-2013, 14:25   #1497
bamav
cf.addict

bamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by toady View Post
How would that work, wouldn't the VM smartcard in each box need to be updated to allow the Sky channels to be decrypted. How would the Sky channels be visible on the programme guide without VM adding them ?
Where there's a will, there's a way! I don't really know how it would work, but I would guess Sky would only need to know your VM card number to add to their "approved list".

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizuk View Post
I am 99% sure it will be just for adding broadband capacity. This agreement has zero to do with channels at all.
Well, that's where it's open to debate as the announcement doesn't clarify what exactly Sky would use their allowance for. It only mentions network capacity, which as we know in VM land means it can carry broadband, live TV and on demand content.
Old 23-05-2013, 14:50   #1498
gizuk
Inactive

gizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nicegizuk is just really nice

Quote:
Where there's a will, there's a way! I don't really know how it would work, but I would guess Sky would only need to know your VM card number to add to their "approved list".

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

Well, that's where it's open to debate as the announcement doesn't clarify what exactly Sky would use their allowance for. It only mentions network capacity, which as we know in VM land means it can carry broadband, live TV and on demand content.
I think you may have misunderstood the announcement. It's for shifting data around. It doesn't have anything to do with VM except they are moving the data along their pipe.
Old 23-05-2013, 15:03   #1499
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by coulsontom View Post
There are no major channels that exist.

Atlantic is the only channel vm doesn't have that anyones heard of
There are quite a few channels in addition to Sky Atlantic that people would like to see on the VM platform.
Old 23-05-2013, 15:06   #1500
bamav
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizuk View Post
I think you may have misunderstood the announcement. It's for shifting data around. It doesn't have anything to do with VM except they are moving the data along their pipe.
Possibly I did. It it's literally a back-fill to allow increased network capacity for Sky, then yes it could really be for any purpose.

Though I think an obvious use would be for Sky to eventually offer fibre broadband to it's customers, which would of course carry on demand content. My thought process leaped ahead a few years and wondered how Sky on a VM network might evolve.
Closed Thread