Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connecting Sky+ to an external HDD recorder?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Connecting Sky+ to an external HDD recorder?

Old 28-12-2009, 14:52   #1
Bruster
Inactive

Bruster is an unknown quantity at this point
Connecting Sky+ to an external HDD recorder?

Hi Gents,
I will welcome any information concerning this subject. I bought the Verbatim MediaStation HD DVR Multimedia Recorder 1TB; and I am struggling to make the right connection to my SKY plus box. I would like to record on my media recorder; but the connections are still an issue. Also, I have a DVD recorder which is already connected up and working.
The Sky Box has:
Coaxial
Optical
HDMI
Audio Video Out
S-Video
2x Scarts
Aerial in
RF Out-1
RF Out-2

The Verbatim Mediastation Recorder has:
Coaxial
Optical
HDMI
Component Out
Audio Video in
Audio Video Out

Any Help Guys!
Bruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-12-2009, 15:07   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Connecting Sky+ to an external HDD recorder?

Moved this query into its own thread as it's unconnected with the previous one.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 15:28   #3
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Sky+ boxes do not have HDMI (& I don't think they have optical audio outputs either). Do you have a Sky+ box or a Sky+HD box?

What do you actually want to achieve by connecting the Sky+ box to the Verbatim box? You could connect the Sky+ box's "VCR SCART" to the Verbatim box, for archiving stuff off the Sky+ box's own HDD, but I assume that is already how you have the DVD Recorder connected?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 15:35   #4
Bruster
Inactive

Sorry for the confusion with the various threads. I have a Sky+HD box. I would like to be able to record my movies straight to my Verbatim MediaStation HD DVR Multimedia Recorder for archiving. Also, the DVD recorder is connected via the scart leads.
Old 28-12-2009, 15:37   #5
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Services: TiVo 110MB BB Phone Line
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to webcrawler2050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruster View Post
Sorry for the confusion with the various threads. I have a Sky+HD box. I would like to be able to record my movies straight to my Verbatim MediaStation HD DVR Multimedia Recorder for archiving. Also, the DVD recorder is connected via the scart leads.

Is that even possible?
webcrawler2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 15:46   #6
Bruster
Inactive

Yes it is possible. I was doing that with my previous Media recorder (Icy Box), before I bought a DVD recorder. Having a DVD recorder complicates my wiring. That's why I am looking for another method of conection so I can have them both. My DVD recorder will be used as a player only!
Old 28-12-2009, 15:48   #7
webcrawler2050
Inactive

webcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze agewebcrawler2050 has reached the bronze age

Correction, sorry I should reword that. Is it allowed?
Old 28-12-2009, 15:55   #8
Bruster
Inactive

There are very few people who owns a DVD recorder and does not copy movies on to a disc or some other format.
Old 28-12-2009, 16:04   #9
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruster View Post
There are very few people who owns a DVD recorder and does not copy movies on to a disc or some other format.

I'm talking within your Sky T&C's?

Can somebody else who is savvy with this confirm?
Old 28-12-2009, 16:12   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If Sky didn't want to allow archiving from their box to some other medium, they wouldn't allow the connections to do it.

I suspect the problem here is that archiving may only be allowed via the SCART connection, and that's in use by the DVD recorder. If possible, and especially if the DVD recorder is no longer required for recording anything from the Sky box, I'd simply connect it directly to the TV via SCART, and not have it connected to the Sky box at all. Then use the freed-up SCART socket to connect the HDD recorder to the Sky+HD box.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 16:13   #11
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If Sky didn't want to allow archiving from their box to some other medium, they wouldn't allow the connections to do it.

I suspect the problem here is that archiving may only be allowed via the SCART connection, and that's in use by the DVD recorder. If possible, and especially if the DVD recorder is no longer required for recording anything from the Sky box, I'd simply connect it directly to the TV via SCART, and not have it connected to the Sky box at all. Then use the freed-up SCART socket to connect the HDD recorder to the Sky+HD box.
Guess your right. Just not sure on the tech beind it
Old 28-12-2009, 16:34   #12
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Yup. And not just the connections... Sky+ / Sky+HD boxes also have an actual archive function, specifically for archiving recorded programmes from the box to Something Else.

I would assume that anything Sky do not allow you / want you to archive (& movies may come under this?) would be protected (e.g. Macrovision).

Quote:
Yup.

DVD Recorder >SCART> TV

Sky+HD >SCART> Verbatim (using the VCR SCART on the Sky box, not the TV SCART)

Sky+HD >HDMI> TV
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 16:45   #13
Flyboy
Inactive

Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one

Quote:

Indeed, there is even an option on the EPG to "copy."
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 16:48   #14
webcrawler2050
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Indeed, there is even an option on the EPG to "copy."

It was just a thought
Old 28-12-2009, 17:28   #15
Bruster
Inactive

Sorry gents, if you double check the first thread, you would have noticed that the Verbatim does not have any scarts socket at all. Just all the other sockets mentioned!
The Verbatim Mediastation Recorder has:
Coaxial
Optical
HDMI
Component Out
Audio Video in
Audio Video Out