Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Changing Sky box?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Changing Sky box?

Old 25-05-2009, 21:31   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Changing Sky box?

I know someone who's upgraded to sky HD so was thinking of buying their old SKY+ box off them.

I only have a single feed cabled up at the moment but I hear you can get around the problem of it not recording by setting a dummy recording to tie up the non existent tuner.

I was thinking of buying it anyway as at the moment I cannot record at all (Problem with the flow style sky boxes and my dvd recorder means the picture shifts to far left) + can't record pin protected movies without being there to enter PIN.

Am I right in saying I'd just plug it in, then pop my viewing card from my regular sky STB in and then presumably I need to tell sky i've changed the box otherwise the movie channels stop working?

Also do I have to request any kind of activation for the recording ability or is that already enabled on all sky cards thesedays anyway.

I have all the Mixes +Movies & sport so as far as i'm aware don't need to pay extra to enable +?
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-05-2009, 21:40   #2
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Changing Sky box?

Hook it up, and phone Sky to pair the viewing card plus to activate the Sky+ features.

Sky+ features are free so long as you have at least a basic Sky subscription.

Yep, the dummy recording method should work. Although of course with only one feed you won't get the full benefit of Sky+.

Have you thought about getting a Dual/Quad LNB fitted & cabled up to give you more than one feed?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 21:52   #3
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Hook it up, and phone Sky to pair the viewing card plus to activate the Sky+ features.

Sky+ features are free so long as you have at least a basic Sky subscription.

Yep, the dummy recording method should work. Although of course with only one feed you won't get the full benefit of Sky+.

Have you thought about getting a Dual/Quad LNB fitted & cabled up to give you more than one feed?
Yeh I might do that eventually, but it's not my house and the existing feed goes under the floor and then up inside the wall. If i let sky come and install it I suspect they'd just staplegun a cable around the outside of the wall and the homeowner would not be happy.

I plan to get under the floor and run some LAN/Comms cabling at somepoint so will probably put in new cabling for the SKY then (He's ok with that, just doesn't want it slapped in any old how)
Old 25-05-2009, 21:57   #4
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
If i let sky come and install it I suspect they'd just staplegun a cable around the outside of the wall and the homeowner would not be happy.
That the least of your worries, how about a dish and bracket screwed to the wall of the property.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 22:01   #5
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
That the least of your worries, how about a dish and bracket screwed to the wall of the property.
That's already there

it's more internal cabling that he cares about.