Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I Bought a 'Switch'. Was it a mistake ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I Bought a 'Switch'. Was it a mistake ?

Old 28-05-2005, 12:22   #1
obvious
Inactive

Services: ntl 20Mbps/Sky+/BT
obvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via ICQ to obvious
I Bought a 'Switch'. Was it a mistake ?

My network looks like this

DLINK DGS-1005D Switch with a INEXQ HR054G AP attached to it.

There's a straight cat5 coming from the switch to the main pc and a crossover going from the switch to the AP.

My laptop has 802.11b wireless. The PC has no wireless.

I've been trying to use this kit to create a network where the wired pc doesn't need to be switched on in order for the laptop (PC1 in the picture) to be connected but where both computers can be powered up at the same time and still have net access.

My thoughts went along the lines of :-

1. Enable DHCP client on the AP so that it will grab an IP from NTL
2. Enable DHCP server on AP so that it will farm out IP's to anything connected.

but if I select "use dhcp client to automatically get IP address" then it says "selecting this option will disable your DHCP server automatically".

I've been able to get either a wireless internet connection to my laptop OR a wired internet connection to my main PC but not both at the same time.

I only have one NIC.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks a lot
Paul

BTW, as per the Title, I'm wondering if a 'switch' wont pick up an IP from ntl and I should have bought a router instead?
obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2005, 12:30   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: I Bought a 'Switch'. Was it a mistake ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obvious
<snip>

BTW, as per the Title, I'm wondering if a 'switch' wont pick up an IP from ntl and I should have bought a router instead?
I believe that is correct (you should have bought a router), but I'm sure someone who actually knows will be around shortly.
Old 28-05-2005, 12:31   #3
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Unless your access point has an ethernet port in the back of it I cannot see how it can be done, the problem here is that NTL will only give you one IP address, and therefor you can only run one PC off the back of it.

Ideally if your AP had an ethernet port on the back of it you would just plug your switch into the AP and then run your PC2 off the switch. Your PC1 and PC2 should then get a private IP address from your AP vis DHCP on the AP and your AP should get the one NTL assigned IP address.

A router would have been a better buy, something like the Linksys WRT54G, would have been a great "all round" solution for you.

EDIT: The problem you have is that the first device that powers on will get the NTL assigned IP address, after that the other one is left wanting as NTL will only give out one - to get two you need to have a router which will act as a gateway between your Home "private" network and the Internet.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 12:37   #4
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
My thoughts went along the lines of :-

1. Enable DHCP client on the AP so that it will grab an IP from NTL
2. Enable DHCP server on AP so that it will farm out IP's to anything connected.

but if I select "use dhcp client to automatically get IP address" then it says "selecting this option will disable your DHCP server automatically".
To get your network to work you have to have a DHCP server. If the AP has DHCP server capability, then use that for your home network. In this case the AP should not be a DHCP client.

Then point any PCs to the AP for their DHCP.

Quote:
A switch won't pick up an IP address from anywhere - it just relays traffic.

My setup is very much like yours, except I have a Belkin router/switch - which incorporates the DHCP server - I have direct connected computers on 2 ports, and an WAP on one port.
As long as the router/switch is on the home network is up & running.
Old 28-05-2005, 12:44   #5
obvious
Inactive

obvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about themobvious has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja
Ideally if your AP had an ethernet port on the back of it you would just plug your switch into the AP and then run your PC2 off the switch. Your PC1 and PC2 should then get a private IP address from your AP vis DHCP on the AP and your AP should get the one NTL assigned IP address.
The AP does have an ethernet port which is how it is connected to the switch. Does this help me at all?

EDIT: the way I have it connected at the moment seems to be exactly what you are suggesting but I dont think the AP can be an upstream DHCP client and a downstream DHCP server at the same time.

SWW, thanks for the clarification on routers vs switches
Old 28-05-2005, 12:49   #6
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable

Quote:
The AP does have an ethernet port which is how it is connected to the switch. Does this help me at all?

SWW, thanks for the clarification on routers vs switches
Your setup should work IF your AP can be a DHCP server AND if it will allocate private network addresses.

Beware that your setup is wide open to port scanners etc.

One of the advantages of a router/switch it that most of them incorporate a firewall.
Old 28-05-2005, 12:51   #7
obvious
Inactive

Thanks - As EDIT above I dont think the AP can be an upstream DHCP client and a downstream DHCP server at the same time.

So I guess my best option is to sell the switch and the AP and get a combined wireless router?
Old 28-05-2005, 12:54   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

A wireless router would be the most sensible option, esp as most have four switch ports in them as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 12:57   #9
Richard M
Inactive

Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array

I would keep the switch TBH, it's cheap and a handy thing to have around.
I run a setup like this:
Switch -> 3 computers & router/DSL modem
I use static IP addressing on the LAN and I also have a static IP on the internet - all works perfectly.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 13:34   #10
obvious
Inactive

What about this one? The seller lives nearby so if its suitable I might ask him for a Buy-It-Now
Old 28-05-2005, 13:36   #11
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Never really had much luck with Belkin networking equipment but hopefully someone who has used that router will be able to advise you on it better than I can.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 14:17   #12
Jez
Inactive

Jez is on a distinguished roadJez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Never really had much luck with Belkin networking equipment but hopefully someone who has used that router will be able to advise you on it better than I can.
That's what I've used for almost a year now - very much 'plug and play' installation, and will replace both the switch and the access point. Just remember to check the price new, as they're not all that expensive!
Jez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2005, 16:06   #13
obvious
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez
That's what I've used for almost a year now - very much 'plug and play' installation, and will replace both the switch and the access point. Just remember to check the price new, as they're not all that expensive!
Thanks - I've seen them new for around £40 + P&P
Old 31-05-2005, 20:07   #14
obvious
Inactive

Dont want to get it wrong this time. I guess I could just get a BEFSR41 and keep my existing 11g Access Point?
Old 31-05-2005, 20:12   #15
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

You might be better spending the extra tenner and going wireless (in case you expand things in the future):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...586941-4057200

Don't forget to use the Foum's Amazon link if you buy from them as the Team will then get a comission which can be put towards paying for keeping this place open.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote