Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Russia has invaded Ukraine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Russia has invaded Ukraine

Old 07-03-2022, 12:31   #751
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
A major Internet backbone provider, Cogent Communications, has ceased providing services to Russia yesterday (Sunday). They say that it won't disconnect people from the internet, but it will be a lot slower.

Unconfirmed report that Russia is to imminently disconnect itself from the internet anyway.

[Admin Insert:- State your source or link to these news updates.]
Due to a technical issue, I couldn't/can't post the link. Could someone kindly do it for me please? There's lots of media reports, though how trustworthy they are, I don't know.

The 'Russia to imminently cut itself off from the internet' claim is marked as unverified, as this was a verbal claim from a contributor to a discussion on the BBC World Service.
---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Last night, Channel 4 showed the first three episodes from a series that the current Ukraine President was in where he played a comedy part as...the Ukraine President! It had English subtitles.

In the current circumstances, i'm not sure whether I think this was appropriate or not.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 07-03-2022 at 12:39.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2022, 12:43   #752
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Due to a technical issue, I couldn't/can't post the link. Could someone kindly do it for me please? There's lots of media reports, though how trustworthy they are, I don't know.

The 'Russia to imminently cut itself off from the internet' claim is marked as unverified, as this was a verbal claim from a contributor to a discussion on the BBC World Service.
---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Last night, Channel 4 showed the first three episodes from a series that the current Ukraine President was in where he played a comedy part as...the Ukraine President! It had English subtitles.

In the current circumstances, i'm not sure whether I think this was appropriate or not.
Perhaps this one?

https://www.protocol.com/bulletins/c...ussia-internet

Quote:
Cogent Communications, a U.S.-based internet service provider, will reportedly begin cutting off services to Russian clients.

David Schaeffer, Cogent's CEO, told The Washington Post that the company wanted to prevent the Russian government from using its network for cyberattacks and spreading propaganda, but doesn't want to cut off normal Russian citizens...

..."Cogent is not otherwise restricting or blocking traffic originating from or destined for Russia," the company said in a statement. "Cogent continues to provide services to Ukraine."
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:45   #753
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

The show partly contributed to him becoming the actual president, and any international rights payments will go towards supporting those in Ukraine who made it.
Old 07-03-2022, 13:04   #754
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Maggy - Posting a link is not always necessary or possible. In either case. Just add the source like I have been doing. I only get my updates from verifiable news outlets and journalists with bonafide media credentials.
I'm just urging people to make sure that what they are reporting is actual truth.FB and other social media don't always check contributions.Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it actual fact.
Old 07-03-2022, 13:06   #755
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Thank you. They say it's being done to help to frustrate the efforts of Russia, but it will also hinder everyday Russians from accessing our news or organising anti war groups etc.

---------- Post added at 13:06 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The show partly contributed to him becoming the actual president, and any international rights payments will go towards supporting those in Ukraine who made it.
Good point.
Old 07-03-2022, 13:10   #756
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Thank you. They say it's being done to help to frustrate the efforts of Russia, but it will also hinder everyday Russians from accessing our news or organising anti war groups etc.[COLOR="Silver"]
No it won't Richard. Read the article.
Old 07-03-2022, 13:18   #757
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Mick, you have your finger on the pulse of things more than most: do you think Moldova is Putin's next target? And if so, what could be the implications?
I don’t think it was a coincidence that U.S Secretary of State, Antony Blinken was in Moldova yesterday. Last week they, along with Georgia, officially applied to join the EU. Like Ukraine, there are pro-Russian factions in these countries, but the countries application to join the EU, gives a clear message to Putin, where their political allegiances align.

Any ex-Soviet State is a Putin target right now. But Moscow is failing in its main objectives in Ukraine, its losing the information war. You only have to look at the blackout of outside news getting in to Russia. Facebook and Twitter completely censored, if Russia was meant to be winning this, it’d be glad to show the worlds news in Russia, right now, that’s not happening because Russia is being frustrated at the fierce Ukraine resistance and its embarrassed.

For all intent and purposes, the West, NATO may not physically get involved in this. But every west spy agency has their hand in this helping Ukraine, advising them, and they’re winning by defeating Russian logistics, destroying their fuel tank vehicles with just Molotov cocktails. Russia is also losing experienced savvy fighter pilots, think I’ve seen 45 planes have been shot down since start of invasion.

Russian morale is very low. Their soldiers (conscripts) surrendering relatively easily, there is footage of them crying for their mothers. The Russians are poorly equipped, vs high Ukrainian fighters morale, using high tech military gear given to them from us and other European nations and the U.S, their soldiers fighting on home soil, with a population behind them. As long as we can keep supplying them with resources, they got this.

Putin has to now know this invasion was a grave error and his presidency is now in endgame. Yeah, who cares he’s been spitting feathers and coming out with all kinds of vitriol about sanctions are akin to declaration of war.

The risk is and some are saying, Putin could still well order a nuclear strike in Ukraine, albeit a smaller scale one, this would then ultimately initiate a massive world wide condemnation, probably forcing rest of us in to war, can any of us realistically see us still standing by while a murderous madman is dropping nukes over Ukraine?

We also need to keep an eye on what Russia is doing with the Ukrainian seized nuclear plant.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 14:20   #758
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Map Intel of latest Russian advance or lack of:

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 43C2F070-BA86-4E2D-8EC8-E158B036EEA0.jpeg (169.1 KB, 64 views)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 14:23   #759
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
BREAKING: Netflix suspends its services in Russia.
Quote:
A major Internet backbone provider, Cogent Communications, has ceased providing services to Russia yesterday (Sunday).
I really dont see how things like this are helpful.

The people in charge are not going to care, all its doing is affecting the lives of ordinary Russians, who have no say in this war at all.

In the case of the Internet, its cutting out a major source of "real" news, rather than "Russian" news.

It likely makes Putin feel even more right about the "evil west" having it out for Russia, and more desperate to win.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 14:28   #760
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I don’t think it was a coincidence that U.S Secretary of State, Antony Blinken was in Moldova yesterday. Last week they, along with Georgia, officially applied to join the EU. Like Ukraine, there are pro-Russian factions in these countries, but the countries application to join the EU, gives a clear message to Putin, where their political allegiances align.

Any ex-Soviet State is a Putin target right now. But Moscow is failing in its main objectives in Ukraine, its losing the information war. You only have to look at the blackout of outside news getting in to Russia. Facebook and Twitter completely censored, if Russia was meant to be winning this, it’d be glad to show the worlds news in Russia, right now, that’s not happening because Russia is being frustrated at the fierce Ukraine resistance and its embarrassed.

For all intent and purposes, the West, NATO may not physically get involved in this. But every west spy agency has their hand in this helping Ukraine, advising them, and they’re winning by defeating Russian logistics, destroying their fuel tank vehicles with just Molotov cocktails. Russia is also losing experienced savvy fighter pilots, think I’ve seen 45 planes have been shot down since start of invasion.

Russian morale is very low. Their soldiers (conscripts) surrendering relatively easily, there is footage of them crying for their mothers. The Russians are poorly equipped, vs high Ukrainian fighters morale, using high tech military gear given to them from us and other European nations and the U.S, their soldiers fighting on home soil, with a population behind them. As long as we can keep supplying them with resources, they got this.

Putin has to now know this invasion was a grave error and his presidency is now in endgame. Yeah, who cares he’s been spitting feathers and coming out with all kinds of vitriol about sanctions are akin to declaration of war.

The risk is and some are saying, Putin could still well order a nuclear strike in Ukraine, albeit a smaller scale one, this would then ultimately initiate a massive world wide condemnation, probably forcing rest of us in to war, can any of us realistically see us still standing by while a murderous madman is dropping nukes over Ukraine?

We also need to keep an eye on what Russia is doing with the Ukrainian seized nuclear plant.
Spor on, though I think that applying to join the EU is mainly symbolic at this stage as it could take years, even if they're accepted.
Old 07-03-2022, 14:39   #761
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I'm just urging people to make sure that what they are reporting is actual truth.FB and other social media don't always check contributions.Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it actual fact.

Unfortunately, in a war it's not always possible.

Look at the Ukrainian soldiers on that Island that told a Russian warship "Too xxxx themselves" and reported dead.

Now it appears they are alive.

Even the BBC report events and say unvarified.
Old 07-03-2022, 14:43   #762
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

The Kremlin has set out their terms.

Quote:
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told Reuters that Russia had told Ukraine it was ready to halt its military action "in a moment" if Kyiv met its conditions.

The demands include:

Ceasing all military action
A change to the constitution to enshrine neutrality
Acknowledgement of Crimea as Russian territory
Recognition of Luhansk and Donetsk as independent

It is the most explicit Russian statement so far of the terms it wants to impose on Ukraine to halt what it calls its "special military operation".
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-ne...nato-invasion/

Also this.

This war will be a total failure, Russian whistleblower says.

Quote:
Vladimir Putin's war in Ukraine will be a 'total failure' comparable to the collapse of Nazi Germany, a report by a so-called FSB analyst has claimed.

The over 2,000-word report added that Russia's forces have 'no options to victory, only defeat' as they continue to meet strong Ukrainian resistance, that experts believe has surprised many in Moscow including the president himself.

It said that the number of Russians killed in Ukraine could already be over 10,000 - a figure similar to that reported by Kyiv officials - and far more than the 498 dead soldiers officially acknowledged by the Kremlin.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-claims.html

Last edited by pip08456; 07-03-2022 at 15:22.
Old 07-03-2022, 15:48   #763
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

Also this.

So to use a phrase the Americans like, Russia is looking for an off ramp, it's also a phrase I heard a couple of times this morning on Bloomberg as the 'experts' were discussing what Russia would do next.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 16:03   #764
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Got to love the German Embassy in South Africa.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Germany.jpg (82.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-03-2022, 16:35   #765
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Also this.

TBH, those terms don't seem too onerous.