Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I'm finished

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I'm finished

Old 16-04-2012, 18:16   #16
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: I'm finished

i meant the thinkbroadband ping monitor. no worries man good to see your at ease now
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2012, 20:04   #17
doog442
Inactive

doog442 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
i meant the thinkbroadband ping monitor. no worries man good to see your at ease now
I still dont have a clue what you are on about (my fault not yours) but yes I am at ease, its all as smooth as a smooth thing here so I guess I need to shove off to a BT infinity forum of sorts...
doog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 08:42   #18
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
you probably have. low pings, latency close to minimum etc. etc.

no it probably wont be enough. they normally email you or some form of alert pops up within your online account when you near the max allowance. youve got the usage meter you can monitor too. is it 5£ extra for each GB you go over?
Yeah, that's much better than STM. £5 per G ? I hope that's not right ..
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 20:03   #19
doog442
Inactive

doog442 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick update, absolutely brilliant so far. No slow down or stuttering on i player or you tube, completely solid and smooth...no crashes, no superhub going nuts. Connection is instant.

For anyone with issues and who have Infinity in the road its worth thinking about.

I am still at a loss as to how 200 metres of 20 year old copper cable from the house to the box can handle all this? and a telephone line.
doog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 20:15   #20
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

awesome. have you enquired about possibly getting your upload speed bumped?
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 20:51   #21
DABhand
Inactive

DABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of lightDABhand is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by doog442 View Post
I still dont have a clue what you are on about (my fault not yours) but yes I am at ease, its all as smooth as a smooth thing here so I guess I need to shove off to a BT infinity forum of sorts...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

It monitors your modem/router to see how much latency, packet loss etc there is from their server to you. It's a nice way to see how flat it is compared to VM rollercoaster of pinging nightmares.
DABhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 16:42   #22
dsemuk
Inactive

dsemuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in Lincoln and due to poor service from Virgin cable seriously considering moving to BT Infinity. Nice new cab down the road the road, and it is locked, unlike many Virgin cabs in the area.

Been with cable since Diamond cable introduced it to Lincoln, but performance is poor, trying to watch anything BBC iPlayer is a joke.

Im not a heavy users, but I like the network to work when I want to use it.

How do BT present the service?

Anyone in LN1 using the service?

Does anyone know how
dsemuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 17:51   #23
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

My experience with BT is that they've been far better in my area.

According to Ofcom's results last year BT's 40mb service is faster than VM's 50mb service for general web browsing, more consistent in download speeds, has several times times lower packet loss and orders of magnitude lower lower jitter as well. That's from national averages, not just my personal experience.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 18:01   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I am down the other end of town in Doddington Park (LN6 3) and the service has always been mint here. Must be all the students up your end
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 12:33   #25
dsemuk
Inactive

dsemuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I am down the other end of town in Doddington Park (LN6 3) and the service has always been mint here. Must be all the students up your end
You are correct. LN1 covers the North West of Lincoln so West Parade, Newport, Burton Rd all areas with high student populations.

Looks like I need to give Infinity a try, at least whilst it is new and has capacity.
dsemuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 17:04   #26
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

It's 4 years old, and already has more local capacity than VM cable ever will.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote