Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | More price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

More price rises

Old 04-10-2016, 19:32   #361
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: More price rises

Well I got my price rise letter today.....two weeks after my account was closed!
Old 04-10-2016, 19:47   #362
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Well done Sherlock
Sadly my old friend Watson had a word in my ear earlier old boy.
Old 04-10-2016, 20:36   #363
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Spoke too soon yesterday, got the letter today. Not even a month's notice...
Old 04-10-2016, 21:14   #364
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Not just VM and Apple with price rises. Half of TalkTalk's customers look like they'll be forking out more soon. https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...all-in-pricing
ISPs buy equipment in US Dollars while we pay them in Pounds. As they purchase new equipment at the higher rates their costs will rise. This impacts VM more than most as they buy more equipment than most.

TalkTalk lease equipment and depending who they are leasing from may be paying in USD, or their lease costs have gone up as the kit is priced in USD.

Add that to ongoing usage increases and the inability to hide costs in line rental and I'm sure we'll see more increases.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:54   #365
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Spoke too soon yesterday, got the letter today. Not even a month's notice...
Still not got mine and then will do the call with my list of gripes.
To raise the price when so much has gone downhill is what I have an issue with.
If it was the same service as this time last year I would have taken it on the chin as inflation etc but not when it is so much worse in my case.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 13:15   #366
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickytree View Post
If it was the same service as this time last year I would have taken it on the chin as inflation etc but not when it is so much worse in my case.
Loads more channels including the much-requested Universal HD, extra apps like Hayu which is proving popular, more on-demand content including the biggest UKTV library and exclusive shows from Starz, investment in a new fast 4K box...all improvements. Just phone up and cut a deal.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 13:36   #367
Adlam
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP package
Adlam is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Adlam

I'm not one to complain but Virgin are really starting to push me now. I called up a month ago to negotiate deals for me and another for a member of the family and was told on both occasions the new deal would include the price increase. Both of us had the letter today so I thought I'd call up just to be safe and they are now claiming there is no record of this and I will see an increase of £3.50....
Adlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 13:45   #368
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlam View Post
I'm not one to complain but Virgin are really starting to push me now. I called up a month ago to negotiate deals for me and another for a member of the family and was told on both occasions the new deal would include the price increase. Both of us had the letter today so I thought I'd call up just to be safe and they are now claiming there is no record of this and I will see an increase of £3.50....
They're very good at making promise they don't keep. The trouble is often the guys on the phone will say almost anything to get you to agree to something.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 13:55   #369
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

And the others don't do the same?.
Old 05-10-2016, 14:04   #370
Adlam
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP package
Adlam is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Adlam

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
They're very good at making promise they don't keep. The trouble is often the guys on the phone will say almost anything to get you to agree to something.
This is true and while I do agree with Denphone in that they all do it, what was really pushing my buttons was how the guy on the phone today just kept repeating that every customer will have an increase of £3.50. Yes I understand that, but my squabble is with the fake promises right now, not the increase. I've used Virgin for years (since they were Cabletel) via my parents and not at my own home but this year certainly hasn't been one of their best in my opinion.
Adlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 14:21   #371
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And the others don't do the same?.
Yes that's true but does it make it right?
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 14:24   #372
denphone
Still alive and fighting

No it certainly does not make it right so its up to the customer to barter for the best deal for themselves and their family IMO.
Old 05-10-2016, 14:29   #373
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlam View Post
This is true and while I do agree with Denphone in that they all do it, what was really pushing my buttons was how the guy on the phone today just kept repeating that every customer will have an increase of £3.50. Yes I understand that, but my squabble is with the fake promises right now, not the increase. I've used Virgin for years (since they were Cabletel) via my parents and not at my own home but this year certainly hasn't been one of their best in my opinion.
Really annoying, I would change providers in such a situation. Did they give you any written confirmation that your price would not rise?
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 14:37   #374
solitaire
Inactive

solitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the roughsolitaire is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
No it certainly does not make it right so its up to the customer to barter for the best deal for themselves and their family IMO.
That's certainly true. I rang retentions yesterday and spoke to a nice lady. I told her that I was concerned about the amount I was paying, and I was thinking about going to Sky. She told me there were some good offers at the moment. For the Full House package which I'm on plus HD channels., she offered me a reduction from £128 to £95 for 9 months then returning to normal price for the remaining three months. I of course accepted this good offer, but it got me thinking - why do some people ring retentions and have no luck at all in getting any reductions at all. Is it attitude, or are they just unlucky.
solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 15:05   #375
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
That's certainly true. I rang retentions yesterday and spoke to a nice lady. I told her that I was concerned about the amount I was paying, and I was thinking about going to Sky. She told me there were some good offers at the moment. For the Full House package which I'm on plus HD channels., she offered me a reduction from £128 to £95 for 9 months then returning to normal price for the remaining three months. I of course accepted this good offer, but it got me thinking - why do some people ring retentions and have no luck at all in getting any reductions at all. Is it attitude, or are they just unlucky.
Variety of reasons, may they are are on a good deal already or vastly overpaying (£128 seems a lot). Are they prepared to enter into a new contract ? Never harms to be nice and reasonable but firm. It can depend on who you get too. Ring back another day if you don't get what you want.

They keep changing prices/bundles/discounts so often its difficult to determine if you're on a good deal (deliberate i'm sure). e.g. i'm getting my extra box free as part of the deal when upgrading to Tivo. This was dependent on being on the XL tv pack. Don't want XL (full house) any longer but I'll lose the extra box discount if I downgraded.... Also I'm on 150MB BB speed - this doesn't appear as a package on their ordering page. All this must confuse VM aswell, they've made it so complicated.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote