Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | More price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

More price rises

Old 22-09-2016, 20:44   #271
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one
Re: More price rises

I do not require the Tivo anymore or the phone (very rarely use the phone only on some incoming annoying calls). Can you just have broadband from virgin, if not than I am off to BT who do BB and a ruddy phone for £31 a month.

Last edited by richard s; 22-09-2016 at 20:57.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-09-2016, 21:34   #272
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
I do not require the Tivo anymore or the phone (very rarely use the phone only on some incoming annoying calls). Can you just have broadband from virgin, if not than I am off to BT who do BB and a ruddy phone for £31 a month.
BT is poorer value. Vodafone offers the most competitive broadband prices and doesn't charge separately for broadband:
Up to 17Mb/s £22pm all in
Up to 38 Mb/s £25pm all in
Up to 76 Mb/s £28pm all in
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/broadband.../lzvnylnty/lcc
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 22:19   #273
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
BT is poorer value. Vodafone offers the most competitive broadband prices and doesn't charge separately for broadband:
If you have a mobile with Vodafone then the up to 38Mbps is £22 the same price as the ADSL and phone line. £18 for line rental and £4 for the ADSL. Or go for fibre and pay just £22 and get a free land line.
Old 22-09-2016, 22:53   #274
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Something people may wish to consider if they are thinking of leaving VM is that Vodafone will be launching their tv services soon. So that may be another viable option depending on their prices and what services they offer.
Old 22-09-2016, 22:59   #275
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Something people may wish to consider if they are thinking of leaving VM is that Vodafone will be launching their tv services soon. So that may be another viable option depending on their prices and what services they offer.
Shame there aren't people that know anything about it
Old 22-09-2016, 23:06   #276
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

....Do you know? If you do, please tell.

If its just going to be like the others, aka Freeview with boltons, then that's of no use to me. But if they were to launch a proper IPTV service with all channels available over broadband, I'd be interested.
Old 22-09-2016, 23:41   #277
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
TalkTalk always trail in the customer service polls as well. Virgin tends to come out near the top, which speaks volumes about how terrible TalkTalk really are.
Which? popped through my letter box today. The customer scores for the providers are:
1. Plusnet 65%
2. Virgin Media 53%
3. EE 50%
4. TalkTalk 47%
5. BT 46%
6. Sky 44%

Comments on VM "Customers love Virgin Media's broadband speed and reliability - it's the best rated of all companies surveyed for both of these. Overall, customer service and technical support were average, and around one in five customers rated value for money as poor. Additionally, around half of Virgin Media customers cited price increases as a problem they experienced the most."

Comments on Sky "Sky's score has dropped, with customers saying they're unhappy with the broadband's speed and reliability."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
....Do you know? If you do, please tell.

If its just going to be like the others, aka Freeview with boltons, then that's of no use to me. But if they were to launch a proper IPTV service with all channels available over broadband, I'd be interested.
If it's like Vodafone Ireland, it won't have the Sky basic channels. It's also a bit ambiguous as to which channels will be in HD.
http://www.vodafone.ie/home/tv/
Old 22-09-2016, 23:43   #278
Horizon
Media Watcher

.... I'll have a look at that. Cheers.
Old 22-09-2016, 23:51   #279
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

It won't be like that.
Old 23-09-2016, 00:09   #280
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It won't be like that.
What WILL it be like then?
Old 23-09-2016, 02:01   #281
a01020304
cf.member

Services: 200mb Broadband
a01020304 is an unknown quantity at this point

why say we are getting free upgrades when in reality they put the prices up so we are really paying for them and they are not free, my standalone 50mb going up £4.87
a01020304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 07:34   #282
yorkshireborn
Inactive

Services: SkyQ silver 2TB SkyQ mini multiroom Boxset skysports HD skymovies HD Virgin vivid 350meg
yorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about themyorkshireborn has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
yes you can just have broadband without the phone

I got rid of the tv and phone but kept the broadband 200meg for £39
and took SkyQ box set with sports and movies.
yorkshireborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 08:34   #283
MrB
cf.addict

MrB is on a distinguished roadMrB is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by a01020304 View Post
why say we are getting free upgrades when in reality they put the prices up so we are really paying for them and they are not free, my standalone 50mb going up £4.87
No you are mistaken, the free upgrades and price increases are totally unrelated . It is pure coincidence ... that this keeps happening.

Of course, if you agree a new package, you lose the free upgrade, as I found out earlier this year when they put their prices up.

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
You probably won't miss the speed. I was in 150Mb and last week got sky fibre 38 and its still fast.

VM just sent me a bill for a full month even though my account disconnects next Monday.

Am I best cancelling the DD and paying manually?

In a side note. Wow the Q box is fast!
I would leave the DD in place - they will likely take the payment, their billing system will then produce a final bill based on your leaving date and will credit you any money you are owed. Cancelling the DD or paying what you think you owe may place marks on your credit file even when you don't technically owe them.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 08:44   #284
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
yes you can just have broadband without the phone

I got rid of the tv and phone but kept the broadband 200meg for £39
and took SkyQ box set with sports and movies.
That's exactly what I've done too.

This is an interesting article :
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09...ake_of_brexit/

Perhaps we should be referring to this as the Brexit Price Rise..?
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 10:05   #285
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
This is an interesting article :
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09...ake_of_brexit/

Perhaps we should be referring to this as the Brexit Price Rise..?
That's the point I made to Mad Max who asked me to show him a recent price rise. Two days later, I didn't need to go far to find one and explained that the weaker Pound would feed through into increased costs for companies like VM who buy hardware, software and content largely in Dollars.
His argument was that the UK would export more but he couldn't explain how this would help VM cope with its increased costs. If it was a long-term shift then perhaps VM would bring back some things it's offshored like the contact centres but the uncertainty does not encourage such moves.

At the moment, it's still possible for the £ to recover against the $ but uncertainty about Brexit terms is holding the £ down. As anyone who has travelled abroad recently knows, the £ in your pocket does not stretch as far a it once did