Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you just bought?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you just bought?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:13   #2056
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: What have you just bought?

A new boiler and two new sofas
Old 03-05-2015, 10:00   #2057
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
It's perfectly possibly to eat well and eat cheaply isn't it. Not tried the pork shanks yet.
My opinion is that you can feed a family of 4 well and healthily for less than £5 per main meal and I have a book full of meals I have made and the costs incurred. I've even added the costs for what the electric may cost and factored that in too.
£8 can feed a family with 3 squares and still get change.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:19   #2058
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
My opinion is that you can feed a family of 4 well and healthily for less than £5 per main meal and I have a book full of meals I have made and the costs incurred. I've even added the costs for what the electric may cost and factored that in too.
£8 can feed a family with 3 squares and still get change.
Yup but only if you have the inclination and motivation to do it. There are few excuses these days with recipes and even step by step videos available on phones showing how to prepare cheap, healthy meals. It just takes a little effort and for those able bodied who aren't working, the time probably isn't a factor either. Bought in the right places, basics like chicken, rice, pasta, vegetables, fish, beef/pork mince, eggs, milk, etc. etc. are relatively cheap and can be used to make all sorts of dishes.

1.5kg of beef mince cost me about £5 at Lidl the other day and with a few other cheap ingredients costing a couple of pounds, I'll use it to make a huge batch of shepherd's pie or Bolognese which will easily make enough for about 8-10 portions.

I think a whole lot of people have become locked into the ready meal/fast food mentality so it's no wonder that they may feel they don't have enough money. Cut out some of the take-ways, dinners out and expensive supermarket ready meals, however, and it's not long before there's enough money to feed the family for a whole week and a whole lot better too.

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 ----------

A watch repair kit.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/16pc...amazon-2199035

In the past I've always managed to change batteries, remove links etc. in my own unique way but this was too cheap not to take a chance on it.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:21   #2059
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Totally agree.

For instance, this week we had -

Lemon and Tarragon Chicken with Rice
Beef Mince Tacos
Chorizo Pasta Bake
Home-made Fish & Chips
Sausages, Mash, and Beans
Roast Pork with Roast Potatoes, Roasted Vegetables, and Broccoli Spears

Each of those meals cost well under £5 (for 2 people, and they scale up for 4 for a little more), and the Roast was for 4 people and was under £10.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:35   #2060
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

I find meat (especially the amazing shrinking meat) to be the most expensive thing these days
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 14:09   #2061
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Depends what meat you buy. Lamb and beef can be but chicken and pork are cheap. I regulary see large pork joints going for £3-4 per kg. Even

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ...x?N=4294770955

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/produ...&search=Search

Lidl sell fresh chicken thighs (the best bit of a chicken for me) for around £2.50 a kg and frequently cheaper. They also do cheap pork joints and chops/steaks.

http://livealidl.blogspot.co.uk/2015...en-thighs.html

Their steak is very good too and readily available on special offer.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/2486.htm

Gammon joint - £3.79 per kg.

Their frozen chicken breasts do contain some water (as is common nowadays) but are estll xcellent value and really tender at £4.00 per kg. I use them for curries/stews and on the griddle with spices etc. and they're great. There's loads of good cheap meat around.
Old 03-05-2015, 18:48   #2062
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

6x Icecream Mars Bars in 20mins .......... i will regret it soon!
Old 03-05-2015, 19:09   #2063
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Don't eat them all in one go Sir.
Old 03-05-2015, 19:16   #2064
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Don't eat them all in one go Sir.
This was meant to be in the 'What have you just eaten thread' lol
Old 03-05-2015, 19:55   #2065
Osem
Inactive

Confusion is a classic symptom of a sugar rush...
Old 03-05-2015, 23:43   #2066
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
A new boiler and two new sofas
Well done
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 14:07   #2067
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

A house! Weeee!
Old 06-05-2015, 14:19   #2068
Osem
Inactive

You greedy Cap-It-A-List you!! I bet it's a 'mansion' too!...

(hope it goes well for you mate )
Old 06-05-2015, 14:29   #2069
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Loads of stuff for sandwiches to keep me going through the 23+ hour election shift. Will be leaving home by 6am tomorrow and if all goes well expect to be home about 5am Friday.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 14:44   #2070
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

A book for the missus. 8 euros + 5.90 euros postage. Getting anything across the Channel is getting too expensive now.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote