Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Old 17-04-2011, 19:05   #91
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Probably the ugliest equipment and install I have ever seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
What do you think should happen and how would virgin do it?
well if it's going to be buried bury it deeper where a spade or fork is unlikely to drag it up and cut it ,it's not rocket science

what do VM do for a paved or tarmac drive ?
Advertisement
Old 17-04-2011, 20:01   #92
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Sorry but i must say that Jason is right here, after all he is the customer and if the install has not been done the way he wanted and told the installers to do it then he has every right to complain about it. It has nothing to do with whether other people think its ok or not, and why should he paint the omni box???

The other point about the installers having too much work etc, yes this is true however that is not the customers fault is it! As someone pointed out this is the fault of the contract company.

Jason is also very correct in what he says about doing the job right and taking pride in your work. I'm sorry but the "oh i have too many jobs so i can't do your job right" excuse is, well bo*****. I have done this job, with too much work, but have taken pride in what i do and don't and have never had complaints. Simple really. There is no excuse for not doing the job correctly, it is just being lazy simple. After all if i could do it, as others can, there is no excusewhy these installers couldn't either!!!

The omni box shouldn't have been put where it is, it should have been put to the right of the window as the OP said, and the cabling could quite easily have been run above the windows, i think you'll find it is wood just under the bottom of those tiles, nice and easy to clip a cable up there, and guess what, you won't see it afterwards, then just have one vertical drop where the cable enters the property (where the omni box is at present).

Jason, i will point out that you may well find they have blown the face off your render behind the omni box, so this may require patching up too!!!

I agree with what Jason has said, he gave the installers instructions, if they didn't understand then why didn't they ask? Why should he stand there in the garden watching them?

There is no excuse for this type of work, sorry.
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 20:09   #93
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
well if it's going to be buried bury it deeper where a spade or fork is unlikely to drag it up and cut it ,it's not rocket science

what do VM do for a paved or tarmac drive ?
It is rocket science, how do they get it deeper, do they get a digger out to lay a cable then landscape your garden after? And all that expense will be free of charge?

They dont go under concrete, they cable tie to a fence or ask you to make your own arrangments
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 20:19   #94
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
It is rocket science, how do they get it deeper, do they get a digger out to lay a cable then landscape your garden after? And all that expense will be free of charge?

They dont go under concrete, they cable tie to a fence or ask you to make your own arrangments
and that's why i don't think they will dig up your garden to put a cable in ,they will do as they did with me feed it through the hedge or as you say clip it to a fence or tell the customer to make their own arrangement

now if an installer comes on and tells me they do dig up gardens then ok i will accept that but i still don't think it's a good idea
Old 17-04-2011, 20:32   #95
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
I think that's bit over the top ,it's not the best but by no means the worst .As has been mentioned if the OP is that fussy he should have been there .Did he tell the installers where to put the cables and the box ?or did he just leave vague instructions when it was booked .The other issue i can see is, there is another cable that has been run from the box along the damp course ,what is that ? where does it go ?
It has nothing to do with being fussy, the so-called "qualified installer" should know where to run cable so that it doesn't leave any unsightly mess.

If a customer isn't totally satisfied with the installation of a product, then the customer has every right to complain to the company responsible for his dissatisfaction.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 22:00   #96
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
now if an installer comes on and tells me they do dig up gardens then ok i will accept that but i still don't think it's a good idea
I live in a small rented place that is to the rear of the main house. For my install ISTR that they did, actually, have to dig a small trench through the sall back lawn of the main property.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 10:32   #97
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
If that is the case i think that is a very bad idea ,i would have thought that burying a cable that shallow is risky for the home owner not to mention future owners who don't know it's there
At the very least you should have tape or conduit to protect it. I would not want to be liable for any costs if I damaged a cable that was that shallow with no protection.
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 10:34   #98
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Not had a problem here in the five years since it was done.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 16:03   #99
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

mine comes through the grass, at spades depth, in the green hosing and is tacked along the wall, no problem, the grass was back to normal within a couple of days, and everything works fine!

by the way my omni box is brown (installed by virgin media a couple of months ago)
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:26   #100
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

I know a couple of cases where an installer has just pinned it to the floor, in one install they concreted over the cable afterwards too.

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:36   #101
Jason1975
Inactive

Jason1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

Update:

Well after spending hours on the phone trying to resolve our install issue we finally got an engineer booked for yesterday between 10am and 2pm. I cancelled plans and stayed home waiting patiently for the engineer.

Only problem was, he did not arrive. No phone call no appology , nothing.

Good skills Virgin. One step closer to cancellation. If their services were not 1/2 the price of SKY I would be gone (along with 1/2 Virgins customer base I think)
Jason1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 10:41   #102
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1975 View Post
Update:

Well after spending hours on the phone trying to resolve our install issue we finally got an engineer booked for yesterday between 10am and 2pm. I cancelled plans and stayed home waiting patiently for the engineer.

Only problem was, he did not arrive. No phone call no appology , nothing.

Good skills Virgin. One step closer to cancellation. If their services were not 1/2 the price of SKY I would be gone (along with 1/2 Virgins customer base I think)
That's bad ,sounds to me like the person who booked it failed to realise it good friday
Old 23-04-2011, 10:43   #103
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
That's bad ,sounds to me like the person who booked it failed to realise it good friday
Not really as we had slots available all over the bank holiday weekend including Easter Sunday, if none were available the system would show that as we can only book live slots.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 18:05   #104
Jason1975
Inactive

Jason1975 is an unknown quantity at this point

lol now Virgin service has gone down over a large part of Surrey
Jason1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:33   #105
hedgie
cf.geek

Services: Phone, 360 + two mini boxes, Hub 5.
hedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of lighthedgie is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Not really as we had slots available all over the bank holiday weekend including Easter Sunday, if none were available the system would show that as we can only book live slots.
Yuo I can confirm that I was offered a Bank Holiday slot, much to my surpirse, however I am takign a later midweek slot to keep the holiday free
hedgie is offline   Reply With Quote