Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 26-11-2008, 16:24   #76
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
Is this a fact, or an assumption?
Or maybe even someone who doesn't want better encryption as they have a hacked box?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2008, 16:29   #77
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by funcard_4 View Post
I wouldn't be happy but I will do something about it, vm ain't bothred.

VM don't make much profit on there TV service they probably make peanuts, however much of there profit is form there broadband and telephone service.
The reason why I feel vm don't want to invest in a new encryption system is because they feel its not worth the money.
So why do you do it then? You'd hate it if you were losing profit, but you don't care when it's the otherway around?
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
Is this a fact, or an assumption?
I always thought it was the TV side that earned them the profit? I think I read it somewhere on here. Broadband in the UK isn't very good for profit or something? Or am I getting mixed up with something else?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 16:38   #78
funcard_4
Inactive

funcard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
So why do you do it then? You'd hate it if you were losing profit, but you don't care when it's the otherway around?

I always thought it was the TV side that earned them the profit? I think I read it somewhere on here. Broadband in the UK isn't very good for profit or something? Or am I getting mixed up with something else?
I do it for educational purposes only.... If something goes wrong with my tv or broadband I can fix it myself without having to phone those donuts in india who don't have a clue. anything box or modem related i can fix good sence of satisfaction thats why I do it and it saves me a few bob. Andif your thinking I am not a trader.

Its all part of the rat race i'm afraid, VM don't care about you they just want your money.
funcard_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 16:56   #79
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Suspected fraud and money laundering ring raided - 25 November 2008

Quote:
The OYO business park in Hindmans Way, Dagenham, and addresses in East Ham, Ilford and Plaistow were raided by 24 officers last week.

Officers seized more than 4,000 set top boxes and £90,000 in cash. Five men were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud. A woman was arrested on suspicion of money laundering.
http://www.bdrecorder.co.uk/content/...A59%3A21%3A587
Old 26-11-2008, 17:07   #80
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
I do it for educational purposes only.... If something goes wrong with my tv or broadband I can fix it myself without having to phone those donuts in india who don't have a clue. anything box or modem related i can fix good sence of satisfaction thats why I do it and it saves me a few bob. Andif your thinking I am not a trader.
That's the biggest pile of self-justifying horse manure I've ever read.

Quote:
Its all part of the rat race i'm afraid, VM don't care about you they just want your money.
At least have the decency to admit you're a thief. The man down at the corner shop doesn't care about you either. He just wants your money. Do you nick newspapers and sweets off him?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 18:30   #81
funcard_4
Inactive

funcard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enoughfuncard_4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That's the biggest pile of self-justifying horse manure I've ever read.

At least have the decency to admit you're a thief. The man down at the corner shop doesn't care about you either. He just wants your money. Do you nick newspapers and sweets off him?
LOL, newspaper and sweets come on, VM is a multi million pound company I am not physically stealing anything of them, if VM wanted to put a stop to this they would of done it along time ago, but they are letting this happen, i bet even the vm techs are at it. When i moved into my new place I subscibed with vm the two tech came down and put one line into my house downstairs, I also wanted an extra connection upstairs so i paid them £30 and they happily sorted it out, if I went through the proper channels vm would of charged me alot more. Why pay £87 pm or what ever its is, whilst you can get it for free. I don't make money or anything from doing this, its for my benifit only.
Old 26-11-2008, 18:37   #82
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
LOL, newspaper and sweets come on, VM is a multi million pound company I am not physically stealing anything of them, if VM wanted to put a stop to this they would of done it along time ago, but they are letting this happen, i bet even the vm techs are at it. When i moved into my new place I subscibed with vm the two tech came down and put one line into my house downstairs, I also wanted an extra connection upstairs so i paid them £30 and they happily sorted it out, if I went through the proper channels vm would of charged me alot more. Why pay £87 pm or what ever its is, whilst you can get it for free.
Ah, the old 'victimless crime' fallacy. Well, if that's how you live with yourself, you'd best get on with it. Let's hope the company's abuse team don't catch up with you. That would be a real shame.

Old 26-11-2008, 18:43   #83
funcard_4
Inactive

Quote:
Ah, the old 'victimless crime' fallacy. Well, if that's how you live with yourself, you'd best get on with it. Let's hope the company's abuse team don't catch up with you. That would be a real shame.
cheers, off to watch some free telly
Old 26-11-2008, 18:44   #84
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Right. And I bet you're surfing with a cloned modem as well.
Old 26-11-2008, 18:45   #85
funcard_4
Inactive

Quote:
Right. And I bet you're surfing with a cloned modem as well.
how you guess??? searching for some macs at the same time...20mb speed loving it, only £4.99pm not bad is it.
Old 26-11-2008, 18:48   #86
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Thieving **** are fairly predictable.
Old 26-11-2008, 18:53   #87
cimt

These are reasons why prices can be high. If people actually paid for the proper service, they'd be able to lower the prices a bit. I can't see it happening, but it could happen.
Old 26-11-2008, 19:13   #88
funcard_4
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
These are reasons why prices can be high. If people actually paid for the proper service, they'd be able to lower the prices a bit. I can't see it happening, but it could happen.
I dn't think this will ever happen, look at sky they have a secure system one that has never been hacked, but there prices are sky high.
Old 26-11-2008, 19:15   #89
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I dn't think this will ever happen, look at sky they have a secure system one that has never been hacked, but there prices are sky high.
Their prices are a reflection of the going market rate for comparable services, which has been artificially inflated by the fact that the providers of those comparable services are being ripped off by theives.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 19:17   #90
cimt

Look who owns Sky... Infact, you could get all the channels for free with Sky. A couple of years ago, a mate of mine had something that gave him the full list of channels for free. So it's not that secure, is it?