Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Old 10-02-2009, 16:15   #211
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiLZ View Post
Then why are they still around today?
The fact they are still around does not mean that Virgin haven't detected them. All it means is that Virgin haven't acted against the owner of the box. They tend not to act against against individual people, preferring to gather evidence and prosecute those who supply.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2009, 19:11   #212
sparkrs
Inactive

sparkrs is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
The fact they are still around does not mean that Virgin haven't detected them. All it means is that Virgin haven't acted against the owner of the box. They tend not to act against against individual people, preferring to gather evidence and prosecute those who supply.
Possible the best way currently, i can imagine it costs a small fortune so why go for the 1 person who has spent about £100 when the real profiteers are the suppliers making £1000's
sparkrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 19:16   #213
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkrs View Post
Possible the best way currently, i can imagine it costs a small fortune so why go for the 1 person who has spent about £100 when the real profiteers are the suppliers making £1000's
After all, if it comes out in court that you had one box , you *could* argue that you had a legit box and they just got their results wrong. If they turn up and find 100 in your garage, it's a little harder for you to wriggle out of it.

Note: I am using the term "you" purely for conveniance. I am not implying that you (or anyone) is actually stealing service.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 19:52   #214
sparkrs
Inactive

sparkrs is an unknown quantity at this point

haha cheers
sparkrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:22   #215
sparky621
cf.addict

Services: VM B'band "M 200" TV "Full House" Tel: "Talk More Anytime"
sparky621 is on a distinguished roadsparky621 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
They have their methods. They won't discuss them (for obvious reasons) but they do have them.
Bit like the "TV detector vans" then
Funny how TV licensing now advertise their "Hi-Tech database of every household without a license" instead! I suspect VM are the same, just trying to frighten people into not stealing services.

If they have got some method of detection then why don't they just send someone out to pull the plug at the street cab
sparky621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 03:08   #216
Maribel
Inactive

Maribel is on a distinguished roadMaribel is on a distinguished road

I had a look on e-bay, you can get (brand new) VM cable modems flashed with a variety of firmware (no sure, what's the difference) .... They are also sold wholesale, 100 modems at discount.

If VM was slightly serious, this would not be happening...
Maribel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:02   #217
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky621 View Post
Bit like the "TV detector vans" then
Funny how TV licensing now advertise their "Hi-Tech database of every household without a license" instead!
Not really. The BBC are quite open about how and when they use 'detection equipment' (which these days is as likely to be hand-held as installed in a van).

The database is simply more efficient in most cases. It tells the TVL people which doors to knock on. But in a few suspicious cases where they believe a TV is being used illegally and can't get access to the house to prove it, the BBC has stated that it prefers to use detection equipment rather than trying to get a search warrant.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:31   #218
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Not really. The BBC are quite open about how and when they use 'detection equipment' (which these days is as likely to be hand-held as installed in a van).

The database is simply more efficient in most cases. It tells the TVL people which doors to knock on. But in a few suspicious cases where they believe a TV is being used illegally and can't get access to the house to prove it, the BBC has stated that it prefers to use detection equipment rather than trying to get a search warrant.
The detection equipment is becoming more of a non-issue these days. In halls of residences in particular, they can't do much because they can't pinpoint where the signal's coming from because there's so many signals in a small area. So when "they" send letters addressed to "The Present Occupier", I file it appropriately (under BIN); sure some of them purport to have unique IDs for each and every flat and each and every room, but IMO it's bulls**t what they get away with. I don't watch much TV anyway; most of the stuff I watch is downloaded or VOD.

And before you start stereotyping me; I have a legit Virgin STB.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 14:24   #219
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I would suggest VM go round to Car Boot sales, as l have seen quite a few being sold.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30   #220
mr,m
Inactive

Services: VM XL V+ TV 10MBIT BB VM PHONE
mr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nicemr,m is just really nice

A mate of mine,living in the same apartment building where all the residents have VM (not allowed dishes grrrr) has had a chipped box for at least 3 years,he gets every channel going and has never been questioned and his box has never not worked.Unbelievably he doesn't even have a tv license.I wonder if all this detection stuff actually is just a smokescreen to panic people into paying??
By the way I have a legit box and tv license,I can easily get a dodgy one but don't like cheating.
mr,m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:36   #221
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

No, it isn't a smokescreen. There just aren't that many detectors available and individual apartments within buildings are difficult to target.

TVL's main strategy is to scare/bully people into paying up because actually proving someone's evading the licence is an expensive and time-consuming process.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 13:43   #222
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

I know at least 3 people running dodgy virginmedia hardware, they are all friends so when I go round I kinda have to bite my tounge becuase it really ****es me off. I struggle to pay my bill each month, but it always get paid and to see people getting more than me for free really grinds my axe.

I would never report them though, I don't see the point as nothing would be done about it from what I can gether in this topic, plus I am not one for reporting people for that kind of thing, especially people who I know and consider friends.
nemesis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 13:54   #223
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis01 View Post
I would never report them though, I don't see the point as nothing would be done about it from what I can gether in this topic, plus I am not one for reporting people for that kind of thing, especially people who I know and consider friends.
From what I pick up on the grapevine, they go after people who they have the most information on. If someone gets in touch with VM and says "the bloke in number 6 reckons he's using a dodgy box", that gives them very little to go on.

If you chose to report someone then the more information you can collate the better.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 09:33   #224
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Like most people, I know someone using a Dodgybox. It's horrible. He's got it plugged into a 37" plasma and the picture is just grim. I couldn't get RGB over SCART working, or anamorphic widescreen. Not having On Demand sucks big time! In fact, about the only thing it's been good for is laughing at the terrible 'adult' entertainment when we get back from the boozer.

I'll stick to V+, thanks!
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 11:51   #225
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Talking Re: Virgin media possibly getting serious on dodgy boxes?

Its amazing how many people know of someone who has a chipped box
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote